FJ40 2F Engine Coolant Flush & Fill Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Do not defer your 2F coolant flushing.…

The FSM says to “change coolant if excessively dirty”. Well, my coolant was a 50/50 mix of Toyota coolant and did not appear dirty but wanted to flush and fill anyway. Glad I did.

First, my radiator is an aftermarket 4 row type made by CSF. The drain plug is annoyingly off set inside the 53108-60013 radiator support making it difficult to use the plastic drain plug. I decided to just undo the lower radiator hose for each time I drained and flushed the system. The drain plug size is an M10x1.50. I contacted CSF directly to order a replacement plug, in the event I ever break it, and they have none in stock nor could they confirm the plug thread size.

IMG_2069.png

Image below shows the drain plug offset. This has been well documented on ih8mud with several creative options to solve for it but no vendor @ToyotaMatt has yet to offer a proven extension and petcock product. I chose to experiment and make my own but am on the fence with using it. It will be a back up to my plastic plug.

IMG_1178.jpeg

IMG_1177.jpeg

Opened the petcock block drain and drained the block. I used a hose to direct the flow into a bucket. Then, installed a temporary back flush hose fitting into my 5/8” heater hose and connected my water hose, I first just ran tap water then back flushed it with distilled water using a pump as shown. The water was pumped with pressure from the back of the engine up to the top of the radiator and also out the block drain.

IMG_1165.jpeg

The radiator coolant appeared clean upon inspection per the FSM but look at what was found after flushing. This is metal as you can see it sticking to the flashlight magnet bottom.
IMG_1176.jpeg

Once this was discovered, I opted to try Thermocure by Evaporust now CRC.
IMG_1182.jpeg

Followed their Instructions and then drained and flushed several times until no more rust flakes drained out. Each time I filled with distilled water I used a cheap $35 vacuum filler to not worry about having to burp it each time. It was a huge time savor.

IMG_1231.jpeg

Next I changed my water pump bypass hose and then upgraded all hose clamps to the OEM type made in stainless steel by Cityracer.
IMG_1235.jpeg

Also, I inspected my thermostat but did not remove it during the fill and drain process. The bypass hose is there to recirculate the fresh clean water in the head and block.

Finished by filling with 50/50 red Aisin coolant and now ready for fall/winter.
IMG_1215.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on mine. The vacuum filler evacuates all air and if it holds vacuum, theoretically it confirms clamps are holding. Things change, move and expand and contract... Time will tell. What clamps do you run on non OEM hoses?

whatever worm clamps. in my case, i nearly ran out of adjustment on the clamps when the hoses were new...once everything aged a little, i was chasing water leaks and was unable to tighten the clamps any further.

After looking, the hoses i had problems with, actually are oem...the double clamped upper hose, was an on the road parking lot job....i just haven't gotten around to removing the wire clamp...a year or two later.
The smaller dia clamps are good, with plenty of adjustment left in them.

20230826_115735.jpg

20230826_115758.jpg

20230826_115923.jpg

20230826_115858.jpg

I like the look of the the OEM-style hose clamps, but like @brian I had difficulty getting a proper seal. I ended up going with ½" Solid Band Scandvik Hose Clamps (www.fisheriessupply.com)(# 382003, 382005, 382001, and 382009 (I ordered 8 size 10's, 4 size 20's, 4 size 24 and 10 size 28's ) I believe these were recommended by @GA Architect in his exceptional build thread but I may be mistaken.

I just use oem hoses, clamps…no issues ever on multiple/many F’s/2F’s?

If not non oem hoses for NLA hose and oem clamps are just fine.

I’d likely be curious why you have clumps of rust - that’s either from your rad or leftovers inside cooling chambers in motor most likely. Since your truck is South American - can you trust the details if you haven’t seen inside the cooling area in the block? I usually inspect and blow out/rinse then dry with compressed air/brake clean etc.

The engine was rebuilt, not by me or with my direction, so it is likely the Colombian shop never cleaned out all the rust.

The rust came out of the engine block drain. I’ve learned that rust flakes settle to the rear section of the block near the drain plug.

Images of the engine being taken apart.

IMG_1240.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

I went through similar several years back. Except that I'm pretty far from a toyota purest and used prestone. (but I did have a toyota radiator and drained easy on the stock valve / peacock).

Leaving the cap off that T on the heater hose allowed me to park on a small hill (ramps would work) and leaving the cap off that T, fully full the system without any need to vacuum, burp, etc...

And, since I only have septic, and getting rid of any kinda chemical "safely" is always kinda a questionable annoyance, I used vinegar (it's an acid), filled it up and drove till hot and then another 10 minutes before flushing.

Was rewarded a week later with a growing series of pin holes along the seems of the top tank on my radiator. Must have done a bit too good of a job cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom