Favorite PH3 Bit To Remove Oil Pump Cover? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think one key difference may be in the pitch or angle of the crosspoint. Not sure how to say that exactly. On some other JIS screws I have used #2 bits but ground the tip off just a touch. (would have typed 'just a bit' but this has been used allready) This allowed the bit to engage more of the screw because the #2 driver went deeper into the screw head. Example: the oem roof rack screws

JIS bit certainly seemed to go deeper into the screw head. I put both the PH3 and JIS bits in my old screws by hand as hard as I could. PH3 bit required no force to pull back out. I had to really pull to get the JIS bit out. I guess I'm confused on how so many people booger up these screws when removing their oil pump cover. I'm thinking perhaps mine had been replaced before and not tightened as much as OEM specs. I thought I just got lucky on the first screw but the other 6 came out just as easily.

How is this one? (Made in China)

2015-12-06 12.03.58.jpg
2015-12-06 12.04.49.jpg

Kinda repeating myself here but more details: when looking for a Phillips bit I went around to a a dozen different hardware stores. With a new Toyota screw in my pocket I looked at probably two dozen different brand Phillips #3 bits and found that many of them did not fill up the slots in the screw head at all, most were too "pointy" at the end or had sharp angles like the one in the photo above. The only bit that completely fit down into the slots with zero play and remained snug was a 1" Bosch P3 ribbed bit. The main difference compared to all other bits was that the blades were rounded, no sharp angles, and it had small ridges on the each blade (anti-cam-out design). As previously discussed cleaning out the screw slots and tapping the bit into the screw head along with good technique (pushing the bit inward while using a quick snapping motion on the wrench) is at least as important as the bit design used, IME.

Nine days later and no leaks. Man, it's nice not having oil all over the garage floor or driveway. Looking forward to seeing if I have to add any oil with the leaks fixed.

A54F6235-DADF-4B68-9D1A-3AEC9E162427_zpsuzzy2qxi.png~original

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom