Favorite PH3 Bit To Remove Oil Pump Cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like a lot of people don't know where to get JIS bits.

VESSEL TOOLS... :)

But yeah, for the internet impaired, a kit is likely their only hope :)

cheers,
george.

Yeah all my bits and drivers are from Vessel Tools. I'll contact them in the morning. Let me take a look at a few other things to make the kit compelling.

I would be at my wits end if I couldn't get a JIS bit in the same bag along with my hand full of Torx screws. But will it come with a Torx bit too?

I would be at my wits end if I couldn't get a JIS bit in the same bag along with my hand full of Torx screws. But will it come with a Torx bit too?

Hahaha! See I read that the same way but I figured it was fairly obvious :p

No doubt and maybe a change of underwear, some gloves to keep grease/oil off, the actual o-ring that is needed, bandages for skinned knuckles, a can or three of GOOD beer, safety glasses, a set of instructions a flash drive with step by step video and ....

ok must stop now :)

cheers,
george.

No doubt and maybe a change of underwear, some gloves to keep grease/oil off, the actual o-ring that is needed, bandages for skinned knuckles, a can or three of GOOD beer, safety glasses, a set of instructions a flash drive with step by step video and ....

cheers,
george.

You laugh but this is like 95% of the people that are stuck doing this themselves. I could write a book just on the silly things my friends and family have tried to do fixing their own vehicles.

cheers,
george.

Perfectly honest, the flash drive with the howto video is a great idea.

But yeah, for the internet impaired, a kit is likely their only hope :)

Honestly, if it's not a great deal more expensive, I'd rather buy from a mud member. Can't pester Vessel tools via PM.

"I broke it. The torx screws are stuck in my nose. I'm locked in the truck."

Well, the oil pump cover is definitely looking to be my main leak suspect. I cleaned up the entire engine underside and this is what it looked like one day later after driving 20 miles or so. Can follow the leak up to the bottom DS of the oil pump cover. Crank bolt seal may be suspect as well but not nearly as bad. Upper and lower pans look dry. JIS bits and parts will be here Friday so I'll start that evening. I'l try it with the radiator in place. I replaced my radiator a few years ago so can pull it pretty quickly in I need/want to.

62E313EF-A3FF-42F7-9CBD-B3D70DAF9A91_zpsbs2d6yxy.jpg~original

Last edited:
JIS bits got delayed so I just grabbed a cheapo PH3 non-impact bit out of my Craftsman kit and they all came out no problem. I think this is more technique than the bit you use. I used a 12" 1/4" ratchet.

99C67789-1171-4CB2-B9C1-FACA0472EDC1_zpsfaxsesbh.jpg

...or apparently a crappy Craftsman bit! In all seriousness, I cleaned the heads out with picks and brake cleaner and tugged just a bit in the positive direction before reversing them out with a quick pop. Worked well. Glad that's over.

JIS bits showed up today. Moot point now but I tested them out in my old screws and they certainly "grip" better in the screw head than a PH3. May be worth using if you are having trouble getting the screws out. Just my .02.

Could you post up a photo of a standard Phillips bit that you used and the JIS bits for comparison of the tip/blades?

Sure. Here you go. JIS on the right. POS Craftsman PH3 on the left.

BE2C9D4B-B455-4893-BAF8-DB93FEC387E8_zpsqutbfsdc.jpg

DEC59BA7-C055-4F68-8488-16E822AEB67F_zpswv8qlrln.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom