Favorite PH3 Bit To Remove Oil Pump Cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting my ducks lined up for this project. Parts are ordered and I've got all of the tools needed (3/4" breaker, 350+ TQ wrench, etc) but have held off on the Phillips #3 bits. I'm curious what brand/type others have used with good results. I zeroed in on Bosch P3201 PH3 bits but they are hard to find. May pick up a set of Milwaukee Shockwave bits.

Thanks.

Last edited:
JIS - the 80 was made in Japan...

cheers,
george.

I've read a post or two mentioning the JIS screws but I'm curious why more people are not using JIS bits to get them out. What specific JIS bit is recommended?

Folk aren't using JIS because they likely have an assortment of phillips bits and pick one that fits in tightly, though it's a different design (subtle but different).

I just bought a set of 4 JIS bits and one fits correctly, can't remember the exact one since it was obvious which one fit. It still required some hammer tapping and good pressure behind the ratchet (holding the bit) to prevent cam out (even though JIS by design is less cam out prone than phillips).

You really should search, this subject has been beaten to death quite a bit... (tee hee).

cheers,
george.

Can't run down to Home Depot and grab JIS unfortunately. I used dewalt #3 impact bits with good success.

Vessel sells JIS and a few online vendors stock Vessel tools. I "planned" and ordered JIS bits a couple of weeks before I tackled the seal. I also replaced the POS JIS screws with SS torx screws for future ease of access - looking forward to the next seal replacement now :)

cheers,
george.

I've searched. Most folks specify a "high quality PH3." I was hoping to find more specific answers. If the JIS also have a tendency to cam out, sounds like a PH3 will suffice.

Cam out is the least of your worries - snapping the head off is what you have to worry about... :)

Yes, most folk use a PH3, buy a few - not like it's big $$ and see which fits nicer. JIS fits nice too. Either way, tap,tap,tap and pressure behind the ratchet is your friend.

cheers,
george.

Yep, sounds good. Hoping for 7/7 "properly" removed screws next week. ;)

the difference between our Philip bits and a JIS bit is that the JIS bit has less of a point. So our bits don't quite sit completely into the screw.

I take a can of brake Kleen with a straw and flush out all the screw sockets really well.

Then take my #3 bit that I use in my 14v impact driver and go around and form the heads a little by placing the bit into the screw and them giving it a few raps with a hammer to drive the bit in completely.

Then gun them out.

I've searched. Most folks specify a "high quality PH3." I was hoping to find more specific answers. If the JIS also have a tendency to cam out, sounds like a PH3 will suffice.

JIS do NOT "also have a tendency to cam out". Where did you get that from the responses?

Use size #3.

JIS Crosshead 1/4

Actually, buy an assortment of them, because it will stop you from stripping out the heads of all the JIS screws on the rig.

The JIS bit *DID* try to cam out while I was trying to remove the screws on my oil cover. The JIS fit's well, but is not cam out proof. Torx for the win!

cheers,
george.

The JIS bit *DID* try to cam out while I was trying to remove the screws on my oil cover. The JIS fit's well, but is not cam out proof. Torx for the win!

cheers,
george.

Yes, any cross bit will "cam out". But the difference between JIS and PH is huge in that department. JIS are much more resistant to the dreaded "camming out".

I've just recently purchased a set of JIS screwdrivers and I am a True Believer...

Last edited:
PH #3 worked absolutely perfect for me and when tapped in with a hammer, they were actually tight. Clean the heads with a pick and brake cleaner, first, and you will be just fine. Jis may make a difference on other screws on these rigs, but the PH #3 is perfect for the oil pump. Read this- How to Replace Oil Pump seal w/ Pics Last week for me with PH #3, the stripped looking one was when I tried to use my impact-

PB204741.JPG

I've got a set of JIS bits ordered. Curious to see how they do. I've got a couple sets of impact #3 PH3s located as well if I need them. Thanks for the info to everyone who replied.

I've got a set of JIS bits ordered. Curious to see how they do. I've got a couple sets of impact #3 PH3s located as well if I need them. Thanks for the info to everyone who replied.

Just keep as much pressure behind the ratchet as you can to prevent the bit trying to cam out. Tap with hammer and tap to reform/reseat the bit if needed if it does try to cam out. A quick snapping action of the ratchet will really help to break the screw free - they tend to 'stick' until broken free (aluminium housing and steel screws...). Replace with Torx head screws as many have done...

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom