Failed Smog again! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was able to get my 87 Carbed 22R to pass smog 2 years ago, and this time it failed. Says I am running too rich, any ideas how to turn down the Carb with the mixyure screw? Never done it. Any other ideas on how to lean it out?

I did an oil change, ran 2 tanks of 91 octane gas and ran a bottle of Seafoam in 1 tank of gas.

seafoam in the tank won't do much. Read the link, it offers alot of possible solutions. There are ways to use it that will clean out your motor.
Also, tune-ups are always recommendable prior to smog; new plugs, wires, t-stat and the carb dialed in will drastically improve your scoring.
How's the smog pump?
Check the EGR lately?

there is a fella on here, he is a carb guru. is it trollhole? help me out fellas

anyway he could help you dial in that carb.

injecting seafoam described in the said linked thread is a VERY effective method

yeah, Trollhole, also Jim C, and Mark (65swb45), but I think they're more into the Cruiser carbs.

If you feel like going for a drive, Toy Connection would likely do the work.
Toy Connection Web Site

Probably time for a Tune up anyway, and will try the Seafoam down into the Carb. I will have to re-read the article as how to do it properly. Which are some better plugs to run these days?

Yeah, Denso or NGK.
The FAQ has some interesting discussions on plugs, and these brands have the best overall results in terms of longevity, spark, and economy.
I honestly love how much thought Toyota puts into the details, like plugs. :cheers:

My neighbor runs about 2 gallons of e85 in about 5 gallons of gas. He passes everythime. Haven't tried it myself yet

SO with the Seafoam trick, the question is: Just remove the air cleaner, open up the butterfly valves, and slowly pour the Seafoam into the Carb while engine is running? All while giving gas to make sure it does not die out? This is to remove buildup on intake and valves?

Brad.

What Douglashuft did was was remove the vacuum-line for the brake booster from the intake manifold (leaving the line and check-valve on the booster to preserve its charge) then put a funnel into the intake vacuum port, and slowly poured it in, holding the throttle open so the truck wouldn't die from the vacuum leak.

Good Luck!

What Douglashuft did was was remove the vacuum-line for the brake booster from the intake manifold (leaving the line and check-valve on the booster to preserve its charge) then put a funnel into the intake vacuum port, and slowly poured it in, holding the throttle open so the truck wouldn't die from the vacuum leak.

Good Luck!

Any pics of this by chance?

No piks, but not sure the intake manifold is that similar since mine is efi. I put a temporary "replacement hose" on the male fitting that the (line that goes to the brake booster) was attached to. The temporary hose had a little funnel jammed into the end of it which I poured the sea foam into.

Hey Brad, can you post your emissions numbers for us?

If you need hands-on help, I'm smogging at the Hanford Toyota dealer now, and teaching at COS.

Here ya go
smog.jpg

Bump for ToyotaDon

So I went down to the Smog shop yesterday to try and re-smog my pickup. The Guy asked if I had either replaced the O2 sensor or leaned out the Carb yet, I said NO. Ne then said he would not smog it until either of those 2 items were done. I will replace the O2 sensor again (current one is only a year and a half old), but I am wanting to know where the fuel mixture screw is on the 22R Carb? Pictures? I dont have much time left before my surgery and am wanting to get this out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom