Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jose have you talked to any book publishers yet? this build would make an awesome coffee table book. not just for the 'Mud community. my buddy from SC who works on a trading desk and drives a Tahoe sent me pics of your build after he saw it on some totally unrelated site. you've got a proven audience already, plus great photography.. top notch!

So when do you plan on re-running Rubicon with the new digs?
when he grows a pair of
41AHCFnsPFL._SX425_.jpg

Random question, did you, or the previous owner live on 57th st? I swear I used to drive past this thing daily.

Jose built that from the ground up... So it's not from the PO for sure... Don't know where he lives 'coz if I do, I would've keyed his rig all around!
Or maybe jacked it and will sell and part it out here on MUD...

Jose have you talked to any book publishers yet? this build would make an awesome coffee table book. not just for the 'Mud community. my buddy from SC who works on a trading desk and drives a Tahoe sent me pics of your build after he saw it on some totally unrelated site. you've got a proven audience already, plus great photography.. top notch!

Can't say the thought has ever crossed my mind. But if there's anything I can do to make money off this thing instead of spend money on it, I'm all ears :)

when he grows a pair of

Haha soon! Just let me get the spool in. I'm still 2WD

LOL! I want to see video of him following, or plowing, the mini truck path!

I don't know about all that - this thing is still big and heavy and can't climb worth a damn! Gonna need some body cutting for that

Respect brother!!! I just spent the last 3 hours reading the entire thread :D
Loved every minute of it!!! Thanks for all the great photos and detailed description, I filled my Amazon cart to the brim ahah!

Thanks! Anything I can do to stimulate the economy

Random question, did you, or the previous owner live on 57th st? I swear I used to drive past this thing daily.

He might have. That's when it was the dark green color on 35s. He used it as his DD.

Jose built that from the ground up... So it's not from the PO for sure... Don't know where he lives 'coz if I do, I would've keyed his rig all around!
Or maybe jacked it and will sell and part it out here on MUD...

See, that's why I need it to fit in the garage :flipoff2:

Great thread! Wouldn't expect anything less from a monsterfishkeeper.

Now there's something I haven't heard in a long time! Been out of fishkeeping for a few years now. For the rest of MUD that has no idea wtf we're talking about, this is what I used to spend my money on before the LC thing

405g peacock bass
6341923248_9a002db992_b.jpg

405g after I got rid of the bass
5601760360_307348d92c_b.jpg

190g
5940960275_d7e44d7539_b.jpg

190g
7934884418_efa289fc9b_h.jpg

57g live planted setup
5122594052_284973fe41_b.jpg

Last night my Lokka spool showed up. Last missing piece of the puzzle to getting this thing trail ready. I didn't buy the new bearing, hoping the local gear shop can swap the old bearing onto the spool. From what I've seen these bearings rarely go bad so I don't wanna succumb to whileI'mInThere-itis. Arrived in about a week from the other side of the world. US companies need to take note with their 2 week shipping times.

VH0f041l.jpg

Are you putting a spool locker in place of one of the e-lockers?

Are you putting a spool locker in place of one of the e-lockers?

No. This "spool" is to convert the transfer case from fulltime 4WD to part-time 4x4. That way the front driveshaft is disconnected and not spinning during highway driving. To engage 4x4 you press the CDL button and lock the hubs.

Same spool I used and managed to use a HF 12t press to get it off and back on but, if you have a place you can take it to and have it done for $50 OR less I'd gone that route but I don't have a place like that here in the NE, everyone wanted like a hundi to do it.

MAKE SURE that whoever does it doesn't destroy the bearing, once you get the spool out you can see how easy it would be to destroy while removing it it if you're not careful and paying attention.

Amazing that you can get this spool for under $300 delivered from halfway around the world in less than two weeks, I'm contemplating ditching the elocker axles now and going open and tossing locking spools in each of them.

No. This "spool" is to convert the transfer case from fulltime 4WD to part-time 4x4. That way the front driveshaft is disconnected and not spinning during highway driving. To engage 4x4 you press the CDL button and lock the hubs.

Thanks, that makes much more sense. Looked at that this morning before my coffee, didn't think about the part-time kit.

Are you disconnecting the front or rear hub? How much MPG are you expecting to get once installed? I'm debating doing the same thing to save $$$ on gas while cruising on the freeway ah!

Are you disconnecting the front or rear hub? How much MPG are you expecting to get once installed? I'm debating doing the same thing to save $$$ on gas while cruising on the freeway ah!

MPH gains are arguable and have been discussed here on the board.

The reason for this conversion in this application is due to high angle drive lines and the ability to reduce wear on the front end. Running chromo front end components wear faster and are really designed for offroad applications, not street use.

Plus very easy to unlock the hubs and walk it home should anything break on the trail.

-A

I'm installing my part time kit this weekend as well, anyone know how much material to cut off the chromo axle to clear the aisin hub?

I'm installing my part time kit this weekend as well, anyone know how much material to cut off the chromo axle to clear the aisin hub?

I haven't heard of anyone "cutting" anything "off" other than the grove required for the C clip.

-A

There is nothing on this rig that is being considered "to improve gas mileage." To improve "Smileage"...YES!

You might not have the right ones, you should have the "long body" version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom