ESAB 205 AC/DC multiprocess welder. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking at upgrading my welder(s). My current setup is, for MIG, a MillerMatic 175. It's been pretty good. I had to replace a few parts on it (Gun, solenoid control board) in it a few years ago, but other than the fact that it doesn't put out quite as much heat as I'd like it to, there's nothing wrong with it.

For TIG, I have an AHP AlphaTIG 200DX welder and a couple of TIG torches for it. It's a $750 welder. I did have to have the high frequency control bpard replaced under warranty, but I think I want to get a little bit better welder in the TIG department.

I keep seeing ads for the new ESAB Rebel 205 AC/DC which will be officially released next month. This seems to be everything I want in one package. 200 amp MIG, 200 amp AC/DC TIG, 200 amp stick (I don't do much stick welding). From a reputable manufacturer (probably made in China but the Genuine Miller replacement parts I've bought also have Made in China prominently on the package). ESAB seems to be every bit as good as Miller and Lincoln from what I Can tell.

Does anybody have any first hand expereince with either this machine or the other ESAB Rebels that can share their experiences?

I used the bigger ESAB Rebels a lot at one of my old jobs, I just used it for MIG/stick, never TIGed with it. I think it was a 235? Worked fine. Nothing remarkably good or bad about it.
It had a really fancy digital display that I personally didn’t care for, I like simple.

@TRAIL TAILOR has been a big supporter of ESAB in the past when I have talked with him. As a previous field professional, maybe he can shed some light.

All the welding companies have redirected their attention to the "hobby/home " market. I've had 6 Esab Migmaster 250s over the last 30 years.
I still have 4, the 1990 one I bought first is still running daily. All have run in an industrial environment ( lots of hours). They are the old school
heavy welders with big caps and transformers. All the new stuff is inverter supplies and anything under 1500.00 is probably Chinese.
Even Esab's rep told me they weren't designed to last as long as the old inductive styles. He advised me not to expect more than five years
in an environment like mine. They make excellent industrial welders but the days of 2000.00 high end welders are over. The equivalent
of migmaster that was 1750.00 fifteen years ago is 3000.00 or better today . Like @cruisermatt said, the small do all inverter welders do the
job well enough, just nothing spectacular

All the welding companies have redirected their attention to the "hobby/home " market. I've had 6 Esab Migmaster 250s over the last 30 years.
I still have 4, the 1990 one I bought first is still running daily. All have run in an industrial environment ( lots of hours). They are the old school
heavy welders with big caps and transformers. All the new stuff is inverter supplies and anything under 1500.00 is probably Chinese.
Even Esab's rep told me they weren't designed to last as long as the old inductive styles. He advised me not to expect more than five years
in an environment like mine. They make excellent industrial welders but the days of 2000.00 high end welders are over. The equivalent
of migmaster that was 1750.00 fifteen years ago is 3000.00 or better today . Like @cruisermatt said, the small do all inverter welders do the
job well enough, just nothing spectacular

I scope Craigslist about twice a week, I am always on the lookout for older machines for sale cheap. At the end of the day an arc has and will always be an arc... I'd rather my machines not have any plastic on them. Like you said I don't see the fancy digital screens, automatic settings, etc lasting long term. Just like in all the new cars and trucks for sale. Will it work in ten years?

That being said, the small inverter machines have really changed the game with mobile work, especially with TIG. I brought my small TIG up 25ft on a scissor lift for a stainless piping job. Need a few more amps? Just reach down and turn the knob, don't have to trudge 300 ft back to the truck where the welder generator is.

I scope Craigslist about twice a week, I am always on the lookout for older machines for sale cheap. At the end of the day an arc has and will always be an arc... I'd rather my machines not have any plastic on them. Like you said I don't see the fancy digital screens, automatic settings, etc lasting long term. Just like in all the new cars and trucks for sale. Will it work in ten years?

That being said, the small inverter machines have really changed the game with mobile work, especially with TIG. I brought my small TIG up 25ft on a scissor lift for a stainless piping job. Need a few more amps? Just reach down and turn the knob, don't have to trudge 300 ft back to the truck where the welder generator is.

I agree with Matt, the old school Arc Welders are pretty neat...I took my grandfathers old Miller T-Bolt that had been in a barn unused for 20+ years and the thing almost looks new. Mine was free, but I see the old Century buzzboxes and T-Bolts like mine selling all day for anywhere from $150 to $250.

If you want an inverter look for the old POWCON units. Super quality. Designed with the US Navy in mind for cramped quarters like nuclear subs.
Miller bought up Powcon quite a while ago to get their inverter tech. Now the new Miller high end inverters look suspiciously like a blue Powcon.
I bought one at a DRMO for 500.00 20 years ago. Don't know it's history but it still works. 300amps @ 220v You can run it at 480 for more juice.
That's the thing about inverters , more power in, more power out.

I have 2 of these:

IMAG0922.jpg

And I have 2 of these:

IMG_20170309_094655388.jpg

Been trying to sell them for a couple of years. Probably gonna take them to the scrap metal place, the copper inside is worth more.

Don't ever scrap one of those Idealarc Lincolns - guys are hunting for them, like me. If I were closer, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. On scratch tig - smoothest DC arc ever, period. Bulletproof, solid built and will last probably 50+yrs.

Keep your eyes open for an older Dynasty 200DX if that is enough power. I bought mine in '07 and it has never blinked once. I'd love to have the newer 280 version, but that 6k price tag hurts a little too much.

Sarge

I found an L-Tec 250 'Heli-arc' with a Miller Cooler Mate within a reasonable drive of my house. Are those worthwhile?

I had a Linde (precursor to L-Tec) heliarc 250 and it was a great machine. AC/DC TIG and stick welding. It only had two problems: The main transformer windings tend to short out and it weighs 400 pounds. Occasionally it would trip the 50 amp breaker welding aluminum at over 200 amps. I got mine for free because the transformer primary windings had burned out. I rewound the transformer with $60 worth of 9 gauge magnet wire and Nomex transformer insulation and got about 12 years of use out of it. I sold it 4 years ago for $500.

BTW, when Union Carbide sold the Linde brand to ESAB, they changed the name to L-Tec. They were made in Florence SC, but the shop is now closed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom