Engine bay body rips (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wheeled the crap out of my FJ and had no bulges or cracks... ?

Try hard jumps...

I wheeled the crap out of my FJ and had no bulges or cracks... ?

If you really want to break it...I bet you can!!

UPDATE!

The newly designed fender aprons are "ON THE BOAT".

ETA Late Aug/Sept.

These are the fender aprons with the bracket installed in them keeping the aprons from flexing too much.

All new 2009's are supposed to have this revised design as well.

If you really want to break it...I bet you can!!
I guess its really how you treat the vehicle vs how bad the obstacle is.

Well I've been trying to find out since 15 Oct 07 if Toyota was going to fix my FJ & found out today. Toyota Corporate is Not going to back their product or honor the warranty on my FJ Cruiser - excuse is that it's lifted & it's a user issue not a product/design problem. Good luck with your FJ's I'm outta here & hell will freeze over before I buy another Toyota product.

My web page dedicated to the FJ Cruiser that I'm just starting. Worst 4x4xFar the Toyota FJ Cruiser pictures, photos, and videos, from rides on webshots

I guess its really how you treat the vehicle vs how bad the obstacle is.

I can't say from my experience it was how we treated the vehicle or how big the obsticle was but it may be for some, We were in a class at Pismo the instructor took us down a back side of a partial bowl. As we came over the rise and dropped down, we had about 8 to 10 mph going. At the bottom was a burm that we did not see until the vehicle got into the downslope. We made a hard left turn and the weight of the vehicle went to the right front wheel as we made it through just glancing off the burm. We were running 7 psi in the tires and as we got up on the other side, we knew we popped a bead on the right front tire. At that time we opened the hood to see the infamous buldge. The FJ behind us took the same path but hit he burm with more force. He can up and we checked and he had a much worse buldge. So what we figure is the G force hitting a wheel torks one frame rail up higher than the other. This causes the inner fender apron to accordion in their crumple zones. Its not structural so we don"t worry too much. I would assume that old 4x4s didn't have this issue so much because of no designed crumple zones or heavy sheet metal. So we continue to have fun. I can say it has nothing to do with lift, after market bumpers etc, its simple frame flex on a semi ridgid sheet metal engine box, the weakest point goes.

The newly designed fender aprons are "ON THE BOAT".

ETA Late Aug/Sept.

These are the fender aprons with the bracket installed in them keeping the aprons from flexing too much.

All new 2009's are supposed to have this revised design as well.

Well I've been trying to find out since 15 Oct 07 if Toyota was going to fix my FJ & found out today. Toyota Corporate is Not going to back their product or honor the warranty on my FJ Cruiser - excuse is that it's lifted & it's a user issue not a product/design problem. Good luck with your FJ's I'm outta here & hell will freeze over before I buy another Toyota product.

My web page dedicated to the FJ Cruiser that I'm just starting. Worst 4x4xFar the Toyota FJ Cruiser pictures, photos, and videos, from rides on webshots

:confused:

Reality check,
Yes, mods are used as a way for the manufacturer to avoid/void warranty claims. I keep reading that the manufacturer has to prove that the mod caused or contributed to the failure in the claim. The reality appears to be that the owner has to prove it didn't.
Bottom line: the burden of proof appears to be on the owner not the manufacturer.

Sure an owner can get all indignant and threaten to 'take Toyota to court', but who has actually done this successfully(FJ owner sued, won and received damages) ...other than 'some guy I heard about' or 'my buddy', etc. These phantom 'victors' are always vague, residing somewhere out in the ether, never forthcoming with all the specific details.

Unhappy owners have a choice, they can live with the problem, pay to have it fixed, trade their vehicle in... or... they can complain and hope Toyota listens to them and repairs their vehicles.

On WyoCruisers - sadly true, I only remember one successful byback on a FJC in the end no one won.

On that note checked mine for newest FJC problem of frame failure around passenger side motor mount & looks like I've got a fracture & rust.

Possible stuff for sale, if I go this route - some will need stock parts to replace - might of forgot a few things.

TRD CAI

TT grill badge

FJ Cruiser Luminex swiss watch

TT gear bag

Coast Driveline rear driveshaft

Rims & tires need 5 stock ones back

Donahoe Suspension F&R

All-Pro goodies:
Front & rear bumpers
Front IFS skid with custom adapter for after market sway bar relocation
Transmission skid
Sliders just freshly repainted
Rear upper & lower control arms
Shock guards
High clearance high flow tailpipe
Bandi mount modified for PL259 connector ham antenna

Sorry to hear it Brian. I've beat the living daylights out of my FJ and love it more everyday. My 1990 Toyota SR5 pre Tacoma had 298k miles on it and it was in great condition before I sold. Original motor, replaced one timing belt and one water pump in 18 years?

Does your FJ run bad, perform poorly? What bothers you so much about the fender bulges or cracks or is it the fact that Toyota isn't stepping up to take care of the issue? I'm am asking these questions in earnest?

Sorry to hear it Brian. I've beat the living daylights out of my FJ and love it more everyday. My 1990 Toyota SR5 pre Tacoma had 298k miles on it and it was in great condition before I sold. Original motor, replaced one timing belt and one water pump in 18 years?

Does your FJ run bad, perform poorly? What bothers you so much about the fender bulges or cracks or is it the fact that Toyota isn't stepping up to take care of the issue? I'm am asking these questions in earnest?

Hi Scott

Oh were do I start this truly has been my worst4x4xfar experience. Toyota's handling of the FJs many problems in some ways is worse than the problems themselves.

I'm also a car buff and have owned over 60, at least a bakers dozen were 4x4s, many of them I restored. Deep down what gets to me is this is the 1st one I can't fix/make right. I'm getting to doubt that Toyota can or will fix the underling problem in the FJs fender bulges which I believe is in the frame & bulges/cracking is just a symptom.

Mine goes back in to friends shop to verify/document what looks to be like stress/metal fatigue w/rust around passengers motor mount @ the frame. I'm sure you have the thread on FJ frame failure on big blue thats duplicated on a 05 Tacoma. After words I'll try another dealer that was recommended for intermittent engine & transmission issues. Also try getting inner fenders replaced again. No matter what the outcome I'm leaving the Toyota family.

Still hope to wheel with them it just won't be in a Toyota.

Last edited:
Take a stand!

U may have to go to Toyota corporate...but work up the chain...regional rep...then beyond if needed...

"I'm getting to doubt that Toyota can or will fix the underling problem in the FJs fender bulges which I believe is in the frame & bulges/cracking is just a symptom."

Are you insinuating FRAME FLEX is the issue? That's my theory, but FRAME failures seem very rare. Additional cross members...thicker steel...plz expound...I'm mad about this too, but I love my FJ....

Drama!

Hi Scott

Oh were do I start this truly has been my worst4x4xfar experience. Toyota's handling of the FJs many problems in some ways is worse than the problems themselves.

I'm also a car buff and have owned over 60, at least a bakers dozen were 4x4s, many of them I restored. Deep down what gets to me is this is the 1st one I can't fix/make right. I'm getting to doubt that Toyota can or will fix the underling problem in the FJs fender bulges which I believe is in the frame & bulges/cracking is just a symptom.

Mine goes back in to friends shop to verify/document what looks to be like stress/metal fatigue w/rust around passengers motor mount @ the frame. I'm sure you have the thread on FJ frame failure on big blue thats duplicated on a 05 Tacoma. After words I'll try another dealer that was recommended for intermittent engine & transmission issues. Also try getting inner fenders replaced again. No matter what the outcome I'm leaving the Toyota family.

Still hope to wheel with them it just won't be in a Toyota.

All due respect..but your link smells of an agenda/bias. i fully agree TMC doesn't build 'em like they used to...and those who do, you pay twice as much. Plus, it seems you got one of the sloppier units off the line...
Regards & best of luck...
PS: I'm buying a Rubicon for my house in Va...but I Love My FJJJJ!
Never was into being brand obsessed!

Yes I feel frame flex is a factor plus how front body mounts are done also may play a role. As for agenda I'm just a dissatisfied customer - sure not going to gain anything from this. Wish FJs didn't have these issues - nothing else like it out there.

Update on mine - total BS on all counts - denied coverage on all issues - sincerely wish you good luck with yours.

Click on pic will take you to full size version.

ps: custom decals for F&R windows plus hood are ordered & shipped - thanks Tigger.

Toyota has redesigned the inner fender apron TWICE to address this issue! First, they moved an UPPER "crumple dimple" away from a LOWER one...didn't work.
Fender apron design #3 now includes a brace to reinforce.

Point is, if you ran it up the chain, I'm quite sure you'll get a repair on Toyota's dime. If it's worth the hassle to you.

I have mine APPROVED and am still uncertain if I'm even going to get the repair done...

Hey guys, I was a little leary of posting this up on FJCF but my 07' FJC is at the dealer right now. It's been there since last Friday. 45 hours to repair the inner fender aprons with the new aprons and reinforcements. I trust my body guy at the dealership, I've known him for about 25 years. He said there is a definite improvement with what Toyota supplied to repair the aprons. I also had two broken welds up front that couldn't be seen but he said the fender could have just about come off. Here's a couple of pics. I can't say one bad thing about my experience with Toyota and my dealership, especially when it comes to warranty issues. Hopefully this 3rd generation fender configuration holds up but the way the front is designed I don't think there could be a cure-all for it.
DSC00005-1.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00001-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was a little leary of posting this up on FJCF but my 07' FJC is at the dealer right now. It's been there since last Friday. 45 hours to repair the inner fender aprons with the new aprons and reinforcements. I trust my body guy at the dealership, I've known him for about 25 years. He said there is a definite improvement with what Toyota supplied to repair the aprons. I also had two broken welds up front that couldn't be seen but he said the fender could have just about come off. Here's a couple of pics. I can't say one bad thing about my experience with Toyota and my dealerhsip, especially when it comes to warranty issues. Hopefully this 3rd generation fender configuration holds up but the way the front is designed I don't think there could be a cure-all for it.
DSC00005-1.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00001-1.jpg

Where's your dealer, I'd like to visit him...lol

Thanks for the pics!

Yeah me too! My dealer is saying they've never heard of the inner fender wells ripping. What a load of hooey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom