Engine bay body rips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That sounds like fun! Lots of work, but it could be pretty cool.

I would never entertain a modification by myself or purchasing anything aftermarket for this fix. Why? Because Toyota houses the FEA (Finite Element Analysis) 3D models for the structrural analysis of the FJ, which in turn is to be used to properly engineer a fix for this condition. These meshed models are held very tightly and do not leave the confines of Toyota. The impact zones and force loads are strategic and ran through the FEA solver in conjunction with engineering changes in the 3D CAD models. The static and dynamic computer simulations will assit the Toyota Engineers into reinforcing the area and initiating the engineering changes properly within the 3D packaging constraints. I have worked in automotive body design for 15 years and frequently overlap with the structural engineers for sheet metal panel and reinforcement integration. If there indeed is a major concern in Japan for this bulging/failure issue, then it will be handled properly by Toyota directly (if it has not been thus far).

I've got the bulge on my inner fenders...what I've noticed is that people that flex there body a lot (rock crawling etc..) tend to have them more than people who just go mudding all the time
i showed the problem to the dealer they had not heard of such a thing and had to get back to me..later toyota comfirmed that it was a problem but had no way to fix it and said that my ARB bumper was to blame because it's heavy and put stress on it...but it's mounted to the frame right:hmm: any way it's all BULLS***

My bulge on my inner fenders happened before I installed my ARB bumper and didn't changed after or get worst.
If flexing and having an ARB did the damage, my fenders would be somewhere out on a trail!

They're no worst now than when I put the bumper on...

BTW my dealer also said the bumper was the problem...I told him he was full of sh...

I've got the bulge on my inner fenders...what I've noticed is that people that flex there body a lot (rock crawling etc..) tend to have them more than people who just go mudding all the time
i showed the problem to the dealer they had not heard of such a thing and had to get back to me..later toyota comfirmed that it was a problem but had no way to fix it and said that my ARB bumper was to blame because it's heavy and put stress on it...but it's mounted to the frame right:hmm: any way it's all BULLS***

total bull. Has nothing to do with bumpers or lifts or any of that.

I'm running with just minor suspension mods and have a couple of bulges. I know a few completely stock rides with the bulges. It's a design flaw in the fender. It has not been attributed to any sort of modifications to the vehicle.

Well, after 19 months of owning our FJ, we finally got the inner fender buldge. Funny thing is that during a Sand clinic at Pismo Beach, two FJ's got the same buldge at the same location on the same turn.

We came over a steep sand dune and had a sand burm at the bottom that required a quick hard left turn before we could move to the top of the next dune. We were running 9 psi in the tires. As we made the hard turn, we glanced off the burm before asssending to the top again. On top, we realized that we had popped a beed on the front right tire rim.

As we were looking at it, the next FJ came down, and as he was turning hard, he hit the burm with his front bumper. Although the made it to the top of the next dune, he knocked off the winch control box plus pushed the bumper into the body panels which wrinkeled the outter right fender.

We have and Expedition One bumper plus 4+ skid plates. We did not hit our bumper but the supension stress induced into the engine box frame, twisted it and that flex created the fender buldge on the passenger side. The other FJ, hit the sand burm with his ARB bumper on the passenger side which caused the frame to twist on that side and cause the more extreme fender buldge. Plus the bumper hit the body panel under the headllight plus the outer fender lip.

I feel that the inner fender crumple zone is to weak to handle the stress of these kinds of frame twists and could be improved with another design. Since the inner panel is not structural, the damage or disforming is mainly cosmetic. I am not sure if Toyota would redesign for this, as it may require crash test recertification. Thats just a guess, not a known fact. But I feel in these two cases, the fact are fairly clear what caused the buldging.

The aftermarket add ons did not cause the issue but in the case of ground contact, could contribute to the frame flex.

After keeping on top of this for over a year and a half, I'm convinced it's "flexing cycles" that ultimately distort then crack the fender aprons. After my initial bulges & cracking about 5,000 miles ago, @ over 20-k now it seems to have not gotten worse.

I'm holding out as long as I can to have Toyota repair. According to a field rep last week, it'll be around another month or so before the 3rd apron design is ready (with braces welded in them).

Yes we ran 9 pounds all day and only lost the bead on this incident. I normally run 12 to 14, but on that day the sand was soft and we were heavy with equipment etc. We were also doing some challenging dunes that required the extra floatation.

Thats pretty ballsy to go that low without a lock ring. You can roll the bead off pretty easy if you turn to sharply. Sounds like you had some fun!

We don"t play in the sand too often, very hard on the vehicles. But with our CO2 tank, we can air a tire back up real fast. We were actually in a class learning better technique in the sand and all of us were down between 7 to 11 PSI. Out of the 7 hours on the sand, if I had not hit that burm hard, I might have gone the day without incident. On other terrain we would never go that low.

All,
Any update regarding this issue? Living in Hawaii you are not able to get a lot of info from the dealers. We fall under SERVCO auto which is separate from the CONUS dealers. I have called "Toyota Customer Service" (the 800 number) on several occasions to be told they have not heard of this issue. After explaining it to them, they suggested I go to my dealer to find out about things of a technical nature. It doesn't seem they know a lot at the 800 number. Anyhow, I do not have any bulges on my 07 and hope to remain that way. I am concerned about this issue however, just like every other FJC owner. If anyone has any new factual gouge on this it would be appreciated. :)

I had bulges and small cracks in both fenders show up late last year. I took the truck to my local dealer, who had heard of the problem, and acknowledged that there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out for this. I just took the truck in and had both fender aprons replaced. The truck was in the shop 3 weeks for this, but they gave me a loaner and everything was done fine witrh no problems or challenges.

Oh, and incidentally, my truck is modified with a lift, bumper, winch, 35" tires, etc. and it is evident that I use it offroad.

Carl

I did not think a TSB had been issued for this......if this is true what is the TSB number?

I have read the FJC forums posting....its quite long......i was hoping to get some additional gouge from this site.

never will be a TSB IMO

I have read the FJC forums posting....its quite long......i was hoping to get some additional gouge from this site.

I'm very familiar w/ this situation.

While the following is an OPINION (in part), I think it sums it up:

1. The issue is not a safety issue except perhaps in 1 or 2 EXTREME cases where the heavily modified rig was pushed to the point where the aprons literally tore apart...very hard use.

2. It has manifested itself in a VERY small percentage of vehicles and is being dealt with on a case by case basis by Toyota (replacement aprons...the lastest design includes a small brace). The small numbers affected leads me to surmise there will never be a TSB. Plus if Toyota doesn't have to "advertise" this design oversight any further by issuing a bulliten, it keeps it that much "quieter" so to speak. This is something I'm sure Toyota would like to keep out of the mainstream!

3. I personally have a 2007 TRD that has a year left under warranty & about 12-k until warranty expiration. While I have very SMALL buges & fine cracks, I'm monitoring them closely. If they DON'T increase over the next year, I'm actually going to DECLINE the warranty repair because I feel MORE damage will likely be done by ripping engine bay components out, snipping metal up to the firewall, having the dash yanked out, premature rusting after repairs, etc..etc..

4. Bottom line is: I think no one should get crazy over this, but if the bulges/tears grow over time, It would be a good idea to have the repair done. Just choose a dealer that uses a body shop you've done some homework on. GENERALLY speaking, if the dealer has it's OWN body shop, chances are you may fair better because they can use the Toyota trained techs to reassemble everything as close to factory as possible. If you DO get the repair done, MAKE SURE you get the new fender aprons with the NEW BRACE pre-welded into the aprons (Toyota should be very close to manufacturing that apron design now for parts and new truck assembly).

GOOD LUCK!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom