Engine bay body rips (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will say that the wild speculation and inflammatory statements ----snip--- offer little if anything productive.

I think that's a good thing to keep in mind.

It may profit everyone to keep a cool head and stick to the facts on this. Obviously it can get emotional, and very easy to let your mind run wild but let's not do that.

Let's be the productive, informative, calm center of the vortex that posts information, ideas and progress:beer:

I think he was talking about posts 1860-1863 where the "Deezus" stupidity apparently spiraled out of control.

In any event, Larry says he has personal confirmation that a replaced fender has bulged after "hard" off-roading in post #1883... that wouldn't surprise me.

I have nothing to add regarding anything about Toyota's research from my test platform.

I will say that the wild speculation and inflammatory statements (Also keep in mind, replacing the inner fender aprons a SECOND TIME is leaving you with a pretty hacked up vehicle) offer little if anything productive.

Silly hysterics like that is what drove me from the blue room and makes me want to avoid participating in this discussion.

Sorry, that's just how I see it. I'll touch base if I hear anything further...

The post was deleted by user and "MsMudLovinFJ" seems to be a 21 yo from California (don't read the blue as much anymore so I have no idea of her credebility).

As far as "...wild speculation and inflammatory statements...", the fact that apron replacement is a BIG job, made more difficult the second time around is just the way it is. Anytime you rip up factory welds and the destruction of the sealing compounds, paint, etc. that goes along with it, you often comprimise long term rust prevention. Very few body shops I've encountered, even here in "rust country" are attentive enough to restore a vehicle to factory condition (most body work I've seen generally has rust on the spot welds the day it's returned from the body shop)!

While hysterics gets us nowehere, awareness does and frankly I think every FJ owner should be concerned that such a significant design flaw COULD affect their vehicle.

And good luck selling it when even Wikipedia mentions the body cracks on their FJ Cruiser page (I had nothing to do with that)! Am I trying to stir up awareness of a problem I personally feel will become bigger over time? Yes! Am I panicing and not enjoying my FJ? No! It's one of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned. I even expected some 1st year run issues (but NOT metal fatigue and body cracks due to a faulty design that was even noted on the Prado).

I buy NEW vehicles from traditionally reliable manufacturers and have never had a major problem with Subarus or Hondas. This is my first Toyota.

is this a issue of mods? or are stock fjc having the same problems?i plan on lifting but may change my mind if this is cause. do the cracks cause a safety issue just from looking at my fj it would not seem to be of a safety concern. just not many fjs in my area to compare with on this issue.

is this a issue of mods? or are stock fjc having the same problems?i plan on lifting but may change my mind if this is cause. do the cracks cause a safety issue just from looking at my fj it would not seem to be of a safety concern. just not many fjs in my area to compare with on this issue.

Your concerns (totally valid) are why it is important to stop rampant speculation and creating drama based on assumptions.

I think we need to stick to the facts and go about this topic in a manner that will not muddle the waters with non-factual assumptive logic. I would like to keep this thread 'dry' if that is alright with everyone.

-To your question tddfj: The FJC is a body on frame construction. This means that the body is bolted to the frame via numerous mounting points. The inner apron issue will not be an issue on your safety.
If this was a unibody car (no frame) than it maybe cause for concern as it would be a structural concern.

It does seem stock FJC's are also affected by this.

I do suggest focusing on Valkyire's posts and read them. He is obviously informed on the issue and it's potential hazards (if any).

It is also a fact that Toyota is addressing the issue.

I think we should all remember the three strikes rule under the warantee. If they have to fix something three times, they replace it. Does that mean that after the third inner fender replacement, you get a new truck? Sounds like a deal to me! Also sounds like something Toyota won't let happen. But since they are legaly bound to the warantee, I'm pretty sure they are doing there best to fix it. The replacement panels are probably the first step. If it doesn't work, they will do something else.

By the way, Toyota is not the first or only to have this problem. EVERY auto manufacturer has had design issues with some of there vehicles. At least Toyota is trying to fix them. I've know a few LR Defender owners who had nightmare issues with rust and the dealers and Land Rover itself turned there backs on the owners.

Hey-My last word on the subject to all:

Check the "hot spots" now and then when popping the hood on your FJ's. For details on where to look and specificslly for the telltale bulges that usually precede cracking in the crumple zones & fender wells, check all the photos online. The bulges are quick to spot if you know where to look. I've stoped 4 guys with FJ's in parking lots and 3 were clean, but one had a bulge on the pass side). Never heard of the problem.

Now go enjoy your FJ-and pray for a major snow storm ;-]~

I think we should all remember the three strikes rule under the warantee. If they have to fix something three times, they replace it. Does that mean that after the third inner fender replacement, you get a new truck? Sounds like a deal to me! Also sounds like something Toyota won't let happen. But since they are legaly bound to the warantee, I'm pretty sure they are doing there best to fix it. The replacement panels are probably the first step. If it doesn't work, they will do something else.

By the way, Toyota is not the first or only to have this problem. EVERY auto manufacturer has had design issues with some of there vehicles. At least Toyota is trying to fix them. I've know a few LR Defender owners who had nightmare issues with rust and the dealers and Land Rover itself turned there backs on the owners.

And Ford Triton owners and GM 3.1L owners.

Could it be possible that the ripples and the broken or bent swaybar links be part of the same problem? Both seem to be happening mostly on the right side.

Any '08 FJ's reporting engine bay cracks/bulges?

I've only had my '08 for a couple of weeks now, and not many miles (granted). But, I'm wondering how many folks have '08's that have been experiencing bulges or cracks?

I've only had my '08 for a couple of weeks now, and not many miles (granted). But, I'm wondering how many folks have '08's that have been experiencing bulges or cracks?

I have 11,000 mile on my '08 and have seen nothing of cracks. I have only wheeled it a couple times though.

Jan 07 build with bulges on both sides & just watching this thread

I think if it happens to mine, I'll just cut away some of the jagged stuff, and throw some rubber sheeting over the area and pop rivet it on and forget about it. I don't see it as that big of an issue. It's sheet metal which is flexing and as far as I am concerned a design flaw.

I think if it happens to mine, I'll just cut away some of the jagged stuff, and throw some rubber sheeting over the area and pop rivet it on and forget about it. I don't see it as that big of an issue. It's sheet metal which is flexing and as far as I am concerned a design flaw.

If anybody could recognize a design flaw, it'd be a Rover owner.:D

I have the beginning of a tear on the passenger side and a slight bulge on the driver's side in the body panels in the engine compartment of my rig:crybaby:. I believe it was caused by the Bud-Built skids. I landed hard and got beached on a big rock with my wheels not quite engaging the ground (had to winch off!):eek:. If Bud's skids weren't so stout, this never would have happened. (Of course I would have destroyed all kinds of other things but...) Maybe 35's would have helped:confused:...

I have the beginning of a tear on the passenger side and a slight bulge on the driver's side in the body panels in the engine compartment of my rig. I believe it was caused by the Bud-Built skids. I landed hard and got beached on a big rock with my wheels not quite engaging the ground (had to winch off!). If Bud's skids weren't so stout, this never would have happened. (Of course I would have destroyed all kinds of other things but...) Maybe 35's would have helped...

The skids (or any other mod) have NOTHING to do with the bulges or cracks. There are people who have NEVER taken their FJ off road, and have no mods at all, and have bulges and cracks. Taking the FJ off road may accelerate the problem, but it's NOT the cause. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the body mounts and/or the lack of support up front. The structural support from the firewall forward is not sufficient. the bending and twisting of the body on the frame is causing the sheet metal to buckle because it's not properly supported. You get that twisting and bending on road as well as off road. You just get it more (obviously) off road.

Last edited:
The skids (or any other mod) have NOTHING to do with the bulges or cracks. There are people who have NEVER taken their FJ off road, and have no mods at all, and have bulges and cracks. Taking the FJ off road may accelerate the problem, but it's NOT the cause. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the body mounts and/or the lack of support up front. The structural support from the firewall forward is not sufficient. the bending and twisting of the body on the frame is causing the sheet metal to buckle because it's not properly supported. You get that twisting and bending on road as well as off road. You just get it more (obviously) off road.

As I've said before-I bet BUD could build something to stiffin' that body up!!!

I have the beginning of a tear on the passenger side and a slight bulge on the driver's side in the body panels in the engine compartment of my rig:crybaby:.
Maybe 35's would have helped:confused:...

Sorry to hear about the tears in your rig Carl. That sucks. I'm about to pass out of warranty so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed.

The thing I can't understand is why some people can wheel their rings, put lots of miles on them, flex them out and not have this happen and others without mods and no wheeling develop these cracks. The engineer in me makes me try to quantify the issue by evaluating all of the different variables. Knowing the nature of Toyota engineering and the TPS I'm sure they are doing this very thing - collecting data, listing all variable: mods, mileage, manufacture date, typical driving, etc.; trying to find a common variables among the defects.

If there is a lack of direct physical evidence on the vehicles as to how they incurred these defects, it might make sense for someone other than Toyota to begin to assemble this data for independent evaluation. Just a thought.

And yes Carl, you need 35's. Hopefully Santa will bring you some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom