Elephant Hill Trail (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe a dumb question. Searched the forum and can't find anything. Has anyone taken their 200 on the Elephant Hill trail that can provide some feedback? I've got a permit in a couple of months - wondering if my 200 is going to be too wide for a couple of the narrow slot canyon type sections. I was planning to just send it as the kids say, but figured it'd be worth inquiring.

i used my brain and looked up some videos, googled the width of vehicles in said videos which appear to be comparable in width to the 200. So, looks like it'll probably be fine, albeit tight in a few spots.

would still love to hear feedback on that trail though if anyone has experience.

I've done just the first hill.

@Markuson has completed the trail, with photos to prove it. The squeeze is incredibly tight with maybe 2" on either side in a 200. It's possible, but you better be confident in your line.

@Markuson has completed the trail, with photos to prove it. The squeeze is incredibly tight with maybe 2" on either side in a 200. It's possible, but you better be confident in your line.

thanks! That's what I was afraid of. I've been considering taking the taco or 80 instead but they really aren't significantly more narrow. Couple inches maybe.

thanks! That's what I was afraid of. I've been considering taking the taco or 80 instead but they really aren't significantly more narrow. Couple inches maybe.
6" less in an 80 is a lot of space, relatively. A 200 can do it without damage apparently, if you're really good. I'd be really uncomfortable trying it in my 200 but having seen Mark's photos I would do it in an 80, if I had one (which I don't).

yeah my 200 is armored up, but a wrong move and the armor won't protect the paint with rock walls on both sides like that. I might have to rethink my vehicle choice.
I’ve done it on several occasions in a 200. The level of tightness also depends on rainfall and how much sand is in there.

If you’re solo, it can be pretty tricky getting a 200 through. If you have a passenger, for the most part, it’s pretty straightforward with a bit of patience and good listening skills with the exception of a year where rain and snowmelt have washed away the sand in the base of the narrows or also known as devils pocket, the squeeze etc.

I’ve done it on several occasions in a 200. The level of tightness also depends on rainfall and how much sand is in there.

If you’re solo, it can be pretty tricky getting a 200 through. If you have a passenger, for the most part, it’s pretty straightforward with a bit of patience and good listening skills with the exception of a year where rain and snowmelt have washed away the sand in the base of the narrows or also known as devils pocket.
thanks for the info. I will be going with my brother in another vehicle. I'll also likely have a passenger so should have spotting help. Is the floor of that slot canyon pretty even? I think my main concern is undulations that cause the rig to rock and hit the side walls. I guess that is what you were referring to - more difficult if the sand is washed away?

thanks for the info. I will be going with my brother in another vehicle. I'll also likely have a passenger so should have spotting help. Is the floor of that slot canyon pretty even? I think my main concern is undulations that cause the rig to rock and hit the side walls. I guess that is what you were referring to - more difficult if the sand is washed away?
Yes it's usually pretty even, though towards the end it will drop on the passenger side a little bit.. so fold your mirrors in, then err to the DS a little bit towards the end, you'll be good. I did this last year in a 200, with an awning on the side of the rack... never touched anything. 👍

Yes it's usually pretty even, though towards the end it will drop on the passenger side a little bit.. so fold your mirrors in, then err to the DS a little bit towards the end, you'll be good. I did this last year in a 200, with an awning on the side of the rack... never touched anything. 👍
Awesome, thanks! Just need to install my Gamiviti center stack speaker grill cover so I have a place to mount my handheld radio before this trip. I bought it from you a year ago, still haven't gotten around to installing it. 🤣

Probably in the same 200 I’ve done it in 😜 I’ll double up and also say it’s usually pretty flat. I would not hesitate if you’re with someone.

Crazy part is…there was actually *less than an inch* on each side at the mirrors. 😳 2” at the body is a pretty good guess…but mirrors are crazy tight.

Here’s a closeup of my mirror in the squeeze…**£right before spotter Jackson scolded me for *taking photos while driving one-handed*… haha…
1705541588187.jpeg

Maybe 0.7” or even less… 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

The good news is that the base you’re driving on is (or at least was) flat rock without dips…so no tipping leftward or rightward (although trails do change year to year.)… Also…its a straight shot. -So line up straight and keep STRAIGHT. No turning required.

Key squeeze advice:
-Use your folded driver mirror as your guide, and get it as CLOSE to the rock as possible without touching. If you do that, then you should be clear on passenger…
I HIGHLY recommend the trail as arguably the most beautiful in Moab afea (not actually in Moab), with EASILY the coolest hike ever toward the end…where you walk though LONG, narrow and deeeep split in the mountain-size solid rock…ending in the best views ever.

Last edited:
Crazy part is…there was actually *less than an inch* on each side at the mirrors. 😳 2” at the body is a pretty good guess…but mirrors are crazy tight.

Here’s a closeup of my mirror in the squeeze…**£right before spotter Jackson scolded me for *taking photos while driving one-handed*… haha…
View attachment 3535714

The good news is that the base you’re driving on is (or at least was) flat rock without dips…so no tipping leftward or rightward (although trails do change year to year.)… Also…its a straight shot. -So line up straight and keep STRAIGHT. No turning required.

Key squeeze advice:
-Use your folded driver mirror as your guide, and get it as CLOSE to the rock as possible without touching. If you do that, then you should be clear on passenger…
I HIGHLY recommend the trail as arguably the most beautiful in Moab afea (not actually in Moab), with EASILY the coolest hike ever toward the end…where you walk though LONG, narrow and deeeep split in the mountain-size solid rock…ending in the best views ever.
I’m sold. When are we doing this, Mark?

View attachment 3535714

Key squeeze advice:
Thanks for the tips. Sounds great!

View attachment 3535714

Key squeeze advice:
I actually changed up my SOB hill strategy after this trip haha. In 15-16 trips through, that was the most time consuming “stuck” I’ve had guiding a group on E-hil 😃. That was a fun group. Have you been back?

I actually changed up my SOB hill strategy after this trip haha. In 15-16 trips through, that was the most time consuming “stuck” I’ve had guiding a group on E-hil 😃. That was a fun group. Have you been back?

Ya, I got more stuck than every in me life sat the one curve—which was a very weird perfect-armor-storm. When I inspected later, I was sitting fully on a chunk of armor that was bent after that…to the point it actually started squashing a quarter-inch steel box(!) that protects the pivot point on my rear UCA so it was holding the full weight so that no stacking of rocks was gonna cut it…

If that happens to anyone again, we’ll winch or strap FIRST…rather than last..lol. But hindsight is always 20-20. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂 Interestingly, the 4-runner behind hung on the exact same spot…but he didn’t weigh +8000#. Fun fun fun…

Ya, I got more stuck than every in me life sat the one curve—which was a very weird perfect-armor-storm. When I inspected later, I was sitting fully on a chunk of armor that was bent after that…to the point it actually started squashing a quarter-inch steel box(!) that protects the pivot point on my rear UCA so it was holding the full weight so that no stacking of rocks was gonna cut it…

If that happens to anyone again, we’ll winch or strap FIRST…rather than last..lol. But hindsight is always 20-20. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂 Interestingly, the 4-runner behind hung on the exact same spot…but he didn’t weigh +8000#. Fun fun fun…
Yea, we pull forward and back up when going up it. And back through it and pull forward when going down, much much smoother.

The ol Jack n stack saved the day haha.

Yea, we pull forward and back up when going up it. And back through it and pull forward when going down, much much smoother.

The ol Jack n stack saved the day haha.
Yup. Except the jack n stack failed. Tow strap saved the day…eventually.

My Family and I stayed two nights at the Bobby Jo campground in April 2023.
Got through the squeeze in Devils Pocket without problems. I knew a LC200 could make it based on Markusons post way back.
Made it up SOB hill will minimal slippage. Probably the hardest section I have ever driven - I stick to the easy trails... Unfortunately no pictures.
Got stuck in the corner on Devils Lane on the way to the campground. Front right A-arm on a large rock. Small dent in the BudBuilt ALU skid plate. Two front tires basically in the air and the back left in the air. No rear locker. Stacked some rocks and turned on crawl control. We wanted to exit the park via the back entrance/beef basin, but there was still too much snow on April 6th. (only 34in with no winch). So, we exited back via Elephant hill. On the way back I drove up to the corner, then backed around the corner.
If you go for a hike, I would recommend entering Chesler Park from the Joint Trail Trailhead. I am pretty sure that is slot canyon/slit that Markuson mentioned above.

Past the narrowest part...
TheNarrows.png

On the way in... Stuck... You can see on the front left tire I did a few slow rotations hoping traction control would kick in. I forget if I a tried crawl or Center diff lock. I did not want to break my CV, so I had my son stack rocks and then used crawl to get out off the rocks...
IMG_1976.JPG

On the way out. Backing up after building a bit of a rock ramp.
Corner_Backup.png

Bobby Jo Campgroup. We had the place to yourselves for one night.
The second night a thru-hiker doing the Hayduke trail camped in the second spot.
We had 7500lbs truck/gear for a few days, he had <25lb gear for multiple weeks.
IMG_2001.JPG

FYI.. Here is a good article on the history of the road.
Opening the Road to Chesler Park: - Issuu - https://issuu.com/utah10/docs/utah_historical_quarterly_volume88_2020_number3/s/11628214

Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom