Door/Cargo Fasterners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and searched the forums, I've searched Google...sorry if this has been posted and I'm overlooking. I've just finished a new interior to include new door panels. I'm searching for a way to attach the door/cargo panels by going through the panel rather than attaching with plastic fasteners on the back of the panel (i.e. the OEM set up). Looking for suggestions on a two-piece setup - a screw or bolt that goes through the panel and a nut that fits into the round body panel on the rear of the panel. Something like this....

FJ60 Fastener.jpg

Have you considered installing rivet nuts in the old fastener positions?

That's definitely an option.....I believe the holes in the body are 8mm opening. I'll search for those...appreciate!

That's definitely an option.....I believe the holes in the body are 8mm opening. I'll search for those...appreciate!
Did whomever you bought those panels from not include any fasteners??

My experience with rivnuts in the thin sheetmetal was the rivnut not being tightened enough on installation. I've got
3 that now 'spin' and the only way to remove is to drill them out. A genuine pain in the rear. When I redo it, I'll be welding nuts to
some kind of flat bar behind in place and spot weld that inside. That way use the same factory holes but a proper bolt to hold everything
in place. I'm looking at marine hardware now for SS snaps so I can pop it off without tools.

If you’re not getting a good bite with Rivet Nuts there are other things to consider. The hole could be too large for the fastener, the tool was not setup properly to compress the rivet sufficiently. You could possibly uses a washer on the back side to get a tighter hold if you really thought the metal was too thin.

I'd rather not use Rivet Nuts - has anyone used other nuts that fit into the body panels? I believe they're 8mm size but might be mistaken. I've looked on all sites I'm aware of but not having much luck. The pic I posted my original post is the look I'm going for.

Depending on the panels you use and whether or not you will have access to the inside of the panel cavity will make this difficult to use install or remove the panels. You could screws that bite into the existing plastic sockets but they will likely spin.

You are likely looking for something like a speed nut used for attaching body panels.
1710539890694.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom