dmaddox's 1981 BJ42 restoration and information thread! (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates Dallas?

:beer:

Hey Dallas,

Only took me a year, but I found it !:grinpimp:

2012-09-16131817.jpg

Time to fire the thread back up again. Here is what I am working on now.

1. Acquiring Power Steering components (still looking). I need pump/bracket/pulley.

2. Fixing frame garbage (pictures to follow) to include nasty angle iron welded on for Chevy 305 cross member support and a hole cut in the rear frame for a trailer harness.

3. Frame to be sandblasted and powder coated. During which, I will work on sourcing a clutch system and setup.

Pictures to follow, there is so much to do and every time I get involved I find something I would like to be neater or better, which is why the motor is coming back off to re-do the frame. Simply sanding and wire wheeling it is not what I'd like it to look like. It still looks rough after being painted.

stay tuned!

Thread

Glad to see you posting again! FF LC Freak and I were sitting at a bar drinking a beer talking about you last night!

Check with Dan at 4Wheel in Edmonton. He got me all the PS stuff for the engine so I could do the mini-truck conversion, and he got me all the clutch stuff I needed.

D

Happy to hear you are still going. Was starting to worry you may have thrown in the towel.

... FF LC Freak and I were sitting at a bar drinking a beer talking about you last night!......D

Yeah. Bout time Dallas..........

Viscous rumours about you have been circulating in bars in this part of the world too....So if you want to put a stop to this nasty alcohol-fueled gossip ... you've obviously gotta seriously get back into this project pronto... :D

:beer:

Well, I am at a fork in the road and I'm not quite sure what to do. There are so many problems with the frame that I've decided to step back and take another look at what I need to do to correct it.

image-130996303.jpg

As you can see here these are transmission mounts from the 350 Chevy conversion. They are cobble welded on and in the way. Also for some reason the front spring mounts and perches are all cobble welded or bolted as discussed earlier in the thread.

image-1439959217.jpg

The other concentration of work has been correcting the Saginaw power steering hack job. It was horribly installed and everything was hacked and cut.

So, I've taken a step back and realized I have a lot of work to do on the frame to make it right.

image-130996303.jpg

image-1439959217.jpg

Frame

I got an entire replacement frame from SOR in GREAT shape for stupid cheap. PM me and I'll tell you what I paid, and how I got it shipped. TOTALLY worth it.

Hello mudders! With all of the time spent doing military stuff lately, the prospect of another job move and so many other things on my plate, I just don't have the time Mack needs to have dedicated to it to finish it up in a timely manner. You've likely seen the tapering off of updates and posts, but I want you to all know Mack is now in very good hands - with someone who will dedicate the time and precision needed to get Mack back on the road and in correct order!
I've decided to let someone else finish up the details and move on with other projects and responsibilities in life.
I have provided this thread link to the new owner to keep it alive and you all posted. This is an incredible community - full of help and assistance around every corner. I let the new owner know that he won't find a better group of supporters than on this site!

This is an awesome project and a VERY cool cruiser! The new owner is just as cool and I am excited to pop in from time to time to see updates as the project continues!!

Until the next build. . . .

-dallas

Hello mudders! With all of the time spent doing military stuff lately, the prospect of another job move and so many other things on my plate, I just don't have the time Mack needs to have dedicated to it to finish it up in a timely manner. You've likely seen the tapering off of updates and posts, but I want you to all know Mack is now in very good hands - with someone who will dedicate the time and precision needed to get Mack back on the road and in correct order!
I've decided to let someone else finish up the details and move on with other projects and responsibilities in life.
I have provided this thread link to the new owner to keep it alive and you all posted. This is an incredible community - full of help and assistance around every corner. I let the new owner know that he won't find a better group of supporters than on this site!

This is an awesome project and a VERY cool cruiser! The new owner is just as cool and I am excited to pop in from time to time to see updates as the project continues!!

-dallas

Damn... It'll be hard for someone to fill your shoes Dallas.

I remember commenting privately to Rudi/BJ40FGreen how lucky we were to have you on the forum expanding our knowledge with your fearless attitude of being prepared to get stuck into every facet of this restoration (including aspects of the EDIC system that no-one had explored before)..

This cruiser sure is COOL and you've come a long way with it.

All of us here love to help fellow land cruiser enthusiasts achieve their dreams. (And even if we can't offer help, we love just to see their progress.)

So I do hope the new owner joins the forum and keeps us updated with progress.

All the best....

- Tom

-dallas

Sounds like some exciting new times for you and your family Dallas!

I'm sure you'll find another Cruiser project some day soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom