Deer hams/shoulders on grill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I usually bone out the hind quarters into 3 large roasts each and freeze the shoulders whole. Six months later I then throw the shoulders away long after I've eaten the hind quarters roasts, loins, and tenderloins. Always works out that way.

We had a cook one time that would boil the shoulders in some sort of spiced concoction for hours until the meat basically fell apart. I'm not sure if it was really that good or if I was always just so hungry when he served it but I never heard anyone complain. I've never tried making it myself.

Jon that sounds really good as well.

On a side note i was looking through some of the other posts in the cooking forum and there seem to be some really good cooks here!

I tried a recipe that wob posted up "mustard fried venison" and it was awesome, super easy too. Gotta love deer hunting just for the fact that you get so much "free" food.

Given venison is so lean you might want to think about brining it first or maybe injecting. And if you're going to smoke it you'll probably want a pan with some kind of liquid, water/wine/beer to keep the smoking chamber and hence the meat more moist.

I've taken shoulder chops from deer, big horn sheep and pronghorn...filleted into ~3/4"x3/4" (no larger than 1"x1") cubes and rubbed this marinade, usually 24-hour rest is good, and then skewered the pieces...and then a quick grill and its crazy good.

This is usually good for a pound or so of cut meat, double/triple/etc. as required:

Zest from 1 lemon
1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary (I use italian parsley instead sometimes...or fresh marjoram...fresh basil works too...haven't tried fresh sage but sounds good too)
1 clove garlic
Kosher or course sea salt...about 1-2t or to taste
black pepper, course or whole, to taste

In a mortar and pestle grind the above ingredients into a smooth paste...food processor works here too.

Add enough olive oil to the paste to loosen it...probably 2-3T.

Rub all over the meat chunks and let rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Skewer on water soaked wood skewers and grill. These cook quickly and you want them medium rare or rare.

Is that how you did the Elk kabobs at Saline hot springs. Those were hella good.

I do lamb rack with the same marinade we usually use fresh rosemary from the garden. I put the green stems in a foil pan on the grill to smoke the meat slightly.

I have to stay out of this forum in the afternoon, I'm already starving and reading this stuff doesn't help.

I have to stay out of this forum in the afternoon, I'm already starving and reading this stuff doesn't help.

Me too.
I also have to stay off here when I don't have room in my budget for this kind of fun.

Venison sounds so good right now.
And duck.
I could probably down half a duck right now, or the whole thing if it's crisped up right...

^^^ Yeah...District 10 sprig! Now that's some great eat'n duck!

^^^ Yeah...District 10 sprig! Now that's some great eat'n duck!

I had to look up where district 10 was. Right around the Yuba River, some of my favorite backpacking territory.
That whole area has the most amazing looking ducks all around.

alright, i've had the deer hind marinading for the last 3 days. Going to stuff with peppers tonight and put on the smoker first thing in the morning... i will let yall know how it turns out.

Marinate in orange juice for 4 days.
Marinate in buttermilk for 1 day.
Stuff it by cutting small slits to insert garlic, onion, etc..
Wrap in foil and cook forever on the pit.

imagetex.jpg

Marinated 3 days in evoo, balsamic, mustard, garlic and onion, stuffed with jalapeño and bell pepper, topped with bacon and smoked for about 8 hours... Probably should have pulled it a little sooner.. Came out mid well... Was shooting for mid rare. My thermometer must be off.

Last edited:
that looks awesome, I like the sound of your marinade.
What wood did you use?

If you're using that bi-metal thermo in the background, then that's the problem. Those things can have a variance of up to 15 degrees if not well cared for.
Does it have a nut at the junction of the body and the shaft?
If so, you can calibrate the thermo with a box wrench and a glass of ice water, should take care of you for a while. Also be wary of what those things say on their faces, often they say Med-Rare is about 155-160, and that's DONE, med-rare is between 140-145.

Yeah I need a nicer thermometer. I can do pork by feel, just no experience with venison. I smoked it over a combination of hickory and cherry.

If you can, try to follow the sinew, and separate the muscles. then cut in slants, to make long medallions of meat about 1/4 to 1/2" thick. throw choice seasoning, and grill them up. the rump roast is excelent for cutting into 1" steaks. awesome cut of meat.

or just roast the whole thing for like 6 hours around 280 degrees, medium smoke. highest rack in the grill. then in the last 20 minutes, if the meat isn't blackened, kick up the flames and scorch it, flip it, scorch it. let it stand, and slice into heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom