Cummins swap ideas........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$2000 6bt nv4500 np205 t/case all accessories and wiring harness. Probably another $1500 to $2000 depending on how much machining needs done. Doing all the work myself.

$2000 6bt nv4500 np205 t/case all accessories and wiring harness. Probably another $1500 to $2000 depending on how much machining needs done. Doing all the work myself.

Thanks, that seems like a good deal.

Last night I went to look at a 97 6BT with an NV4500, NP241. The guy also had a completely dismantled 96 6BT that had the head rebuilt with 60lbs springs and ARP 425 head studs. Wanted $3000 for everything. I am going to go back on Sunday with gear to attempt to get it running on the hoist. If it runs as he says it does, then I think it's a good deal.

That's a great deal! You will love it when its done and its a fun project. Just don't get in a rush. There are a ton of little things that come up that just need to be worked through. Send me a PM if you want and I will give you my email and phone number if you run into any roadblocks.

so for all of you that have experience with the 4bt and 6bt what are your feelings on how they compare? i know the 4bt shakes and rattles, but is the weight of the 6bt noticeable or a hindrance? with the length of the 6bt are you stuck with running electric fans or will the mech fan fit? i'm about to pull the trigger on a cummins swap, just hashing out the pros and cons of the 4 vs 6. :beer:

so for all of you that have experience with the 4bt and 6bt what are your feelings on how they compare? i know the 4bt shakes and rattles, but is the weight of the 6bt noticeable or a hindrance? with the length of the 6bt are you stuck with running electric fans or will the mech fan fit? i'm about to pull the trigger on a cummins swap, just hashing out the pros and cons of the 4 vs 6. :beer:

This gets me every time. Both are diesels, so both are going to shake and rattle.

The 6BT is smoother than the 4BT in that it's a 6 cylinder. The 6BT puts out 33% more power than the 4BT and weighs about 400# more fully dressed (4bt ~800#, 6BT ~1200#).

Before you start doing a swap, go find someone with a 4 or 6BT in an 80 and listen to it, drive it, crawl all around it. See how you like it before you plunk the money down.

Comparing a 6BT to 4BT is a night and day difference. The 6BT is so much more smooth.
Electric fans only. No room for mechanical at least on mine.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422101954.278156.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422108454.676634.jpg

1fzfe a singing like a sowing machine. It should be interesting when I add 1500 lbs. Thats 80 mph by the way not 90 mph. 5.29 gears.

Anyone think of using the 203/205 doubler option? Or is it too long? Relocate the tank and all?

$3000 is a smoking deal for a running 6BT and NV4500.

So the guy doesn't want me starting the engine on the hoist or a stand, swears up and down it rums great, he thinks it toi unsafe. Should I walk away or consider buying not knowing if it runs?

What an adventure! Just got home a few minutes ago. I pushed the 80 hard today. Bairly went into overdrive once today. Rpms were consistently 3.5 to 4 grand for hours. Monitored temps and oil pressure closely. Highest I saw temps were 197. Toyota makes such a balanced engine that takes abuse. At the same time I cannot wait to get the cummins in. Only avg 7 miles to the gallon today. 65 mph and gusts do not like a lifted 80. Pictures to come!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom