Cummins conversion in process. (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like your strategy for electronic & mech simplicity makes sense. I'm not questioning your choice just wondering if it was an option from your builder. 6bt ( also 4bt) are solid power plants, very reliable and good on fuel.

There were considerable refinements from gen1 to gen 3, mainly increased Hp & torque, improved injection system, Econ, and seemingly smoother and quieter running. But maybe the 3rd gen would require up fitting driveline components to manage the additional torque & hp it puts out, or require more electronics to detune the engine.

Anyhow- looking forward to seeing how your Cummins upfit turns out.
Thank you. Bluntly I was dependent in my guys at the shop. After the recommended engine my research confirmed the suggestion. As for the possibility of upping the engines.. check out the Facebook page for these guys. the only limitation is your imagination. And checkbook;)

Dieselconversion.com

Give them a call. They are great in answering your questions and walking you through your options.

Take everything great about owning a Toyota and throw it out the window. Honestly, GL with Cummins - but I'm sure it'll be on eBay in a years time....

Take everything great about owning a Toyota and throw it out the window. Honestly, GL with Cummins - but I'm sure it'll be on eBay in a years time....
I still smile everytime I drive mine. Won't lie and says it's perfect but I love it and it won't be on eBay. I only threw the bad stuff about Toyota out the window like underpowered and thirsty for fuel. :)

What's your thoughts on a Cummins powered tundra? Is it the the idea that it's not a Toyota stamped engine? Would you prefer if Toyota had an ownership stake in Cummins? I don't understand your comment?

What's your thoughts on a Cummins powered tundra? Is it the the idea that it's not a Toyota stamped engine? Would you prefer if Toyota had an ownership stake in Cummins? I don't understand your comment?
In no way does this apply to sticking a 6bt in an 80. Fact is the Toyota diesel option is superior in every way, is plug and play and yields the most proven combo of any offroad/industrial vehicle. You should try driving one. Sure, upgrade from gas to diesel. But you know your messing with everything that makes the vehicle reliable. i.e. RTW trip reliable. Wiring? Which transmission? How 'bout 6bt NOISE?! Can you name one person who has even done the Panam with a 6BT conversion? Because there's a strong argument that it's not even possible reliability-wise.... and not talking just the motor but the resulting hacked up package.

And for the record, Tundra's are a POS compared to a stock straight-six Land Cruiser as far as reliability. I've used both at work.

Last edited:
Chances are that 99.9% of 80 series never leave the country they are purchased in. Of that the ones that do, likely never go around the world.

You seem to have a very strong opinion. It's great but don't forget the 1hd has its downsides as well.

No point getting into a argument over it, if you don't like this thread..... Move along.

Everyone brings up 6bt noise. Yes it sounds like a diesel and yes you will need to turn it off at the drive thru but at highway speeds it's not load in the cab at all. My Toyota split case gear whine is the most annoying and noisy thing in the truck.
Lots of folks like to try new things or build things differently.
Also if I had the time and money I would leave tomorrow to drive the Panam.

There is nothing wrong with swapping a non-manufacturer made engine into any vehicle. Dependability and driveability can be better than stock, or worse, depending on how well the swap was planned and executed. Yes some swaps don't workout and some are better than others. But that's the same with many other mods we do to our vehicles.

There is way more to a swap than horsepower. Parts availability, fit, adapters, noise, and so much more. Only the owner can make these calls after careful consideration. I wanted a Toyota diesel, but too many concerns about parts and costs steered me to an engine that was sold and available in US. No regrets.

I did the diesel swap in my 60 7 years ago and have driven it well over 60k miles with a smile on my face. But more importantly, I know it is a dependable vehicle I can trust to take my family into remote areas and safely return. There are new vehicles I would not trust to do that...

With a good swap, you can go anywhere.

Also keep in mind this is the same guy that was stranded in Mexico unable to get parts anywhere in the country and ended up ordering parts from US for his 1hdt......

Real Time Help Needed! 1HD-T Front Main Seal

I could dig way deeper into this but I won't stoop to his level. Clearly he was having a bad day and needed to pick on someone.

In no way does this apply to sticking a 6bt in an 80. Fact is the Toyota diesel option is superior in every way, is plug and play and yields the most proven combo of any offroad/industrial vehicle. You should try driving one. Sure, upgrade from gas to diesel. But you know your messing with everything that makes the vehicle reliable. i.e. RTW trip reliable. Wiring? Which transmission? How 'bout 6bt NOISE?! Can you name one person who has even done the Panam with a 6BT conversion? Because there's a strong argument that it's not even possible reliability-wise.... and not talking just the motor but the resulting hacked up package.

And for the record, Tundra's are a POS compared to a stock straight-six Land Cruiser as far as reliability. I've used both at work.
All great questions. The entire project is being done by individuals who have in depth knowledge of these components.
Also keep in mind this is the same guy that was stranded in Mexico unable to get parts anywhere in the country and ended up ordering parts from US for his 1hdt......

Real Time Help Needed! 1HD-T Front Main Seal

I could dig way deeper into this but I won't stoop to his level. Clearly he was having a bad day and needed to pick on someone.

Amazing....

I am excited to learn of another swap in progress. It would he great to get a bunch of these trucks together at a cruiser event.

Good luck with the build.

I say hell ya if your going to put a diesel in in North America it might as well be a Cummins for parts sourcing ease. I wouldn't trust the toy tranny though.

I say hell ya if your going to put a diesel in in North America it might as well be a Cummins for parts sourcing ease. I wouldn't trust the toy tranny though.

Fair concern- So as i researched the options for the trans, I was debating the A442F or going with a 5 speed manual. All it took was a bit of research to understand what this rig had in it.

The A442f transmission is capable of holding onto 611hp. it size and components rival the Allison in many respects. The cooler is actually larger than most modern diesel transmissions. During removal it was noted that the components of this transmission are lacking nothing. Now you couple that with a full time 4WD system that distributes the power, the A442f translates to a very good fit for the Cummins.

Now there are concerns about speed, gearing and fuel economy at speeds>75 mph. Larger tires and a bit more trip planning (plan on driving at 68 mph) are simple solutions.

The gearing of my Ram's transmission are (4:10 rear) : 68rfe 4th- 1.00 5th-.816 6th-.625 When compared to the Aisin A442F (also 4:10 rear end)- 3rd- 1:1 4th .765. According to my very rough estimate, this should provide a cruising speed/rpm @ 70 right at 2k rpm. (bigger than a 33" tire will further reduce rpms). I may be off a bit but the overall goal is a bulletproof concept with minimal electronics and the ability to gain better fuel economy and power.

As we all know- planning is great, right until it isn't. ; )

65-68 was my sweet spot driving before changing out the transfer case high gear to .92/1
I'd be interested to know how the auto trans deals with a high speed downshift. Punching the throttle at 75 and it downshifting would be some scary RPMs for a low rev diesel. Does the controller take that in account? With the manual I never leave 5th gear whether I'm going uphill or passing.

I would talk to longbow for re springing your valve body he has a good grasp on the internal workings . The flex plate cracking is where you might have problems I know when I was playing with my 1hdt I had issues with my t/c Dowel doughnut being to week and elongating causing vibration that fooled even the gurus ,had it reinforced and f 350 bands put in the t/c , a couple of years ago . none issue since . Good luck on your build all the same.

I would talk to longbow for re springing your valve body he has a good grasp on the internal workings . The flex plate cracking is where you might have problems I know when I was playing with my 1hdt I had issues with my t/c Dowel doughnut being to week and elongating causing vibration that fooled even the gurus ,had it reinforced and f 350 bands put in the t/c , a couple of years ago . none issue since . Good luck on your build all the same.
All good information, unfortunately you went way over my head. I did speak to the team that's doing the work. On the down shift concern, the programmer will avoid that from occurring unless at the prescribed speed/rpm. The torque converter has been rebuilt specifically for this application. The exact specifications are not available,but the questions didn't seem to concern the techs.

Also this has a mechanical downshift cable? Or something like that.(I just drive the thing)
This apparently has a hand in this issue to avoid unwanted downshifting. (I'll post pics of the parts and conversion upgrades.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom