Completely Trivial Factory Rack Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Was looking through 100 pics and noticed that early LX's had the LC's three-post factory rack. Then noticed at least one later LC that had a two-post rack.

Was thinking that was an easy way to tell a LX from the side... apparently not.

Is it another artifact of vehicles that came out of the SE US distribution channel? Or is the variation common across the fleet.

Completely trivial and useless information, I know.

Across the line. I believe it occurred during the 2003-2004 MMC.

< 2003 = 3 POST
> 2003 = 2 POST

Last edited:
It wasn't at 2003. There's an 03 LC in my lot with a middle foot. And if you go through CL you can see 05s with the middle foot.

This LC below, however, doesn't have it but does use the forward mounting spot (unlike the later LX)

Tundra wheels on 100 series photo thread

image-jpeg.1208230

I was under the impression that what ever they had in stock at port is what the vehicle received.

Maybe it is a port option. It would explain the inconsistencies. I have an '04 LX with not only two posts, but the covers that cap off the ends are clearly different from previous models, LX or LC and the forward most mounting point does not align with the forward nor middle mounting point of the LC. Discovered this when hunting down a rear passenger-side cover for my stock rack.

Gq1m1yzYENZA-0o5FGXZuxTuzKO9-XTqxE1tdfRJJJqgrdAT5EyDRwZ2mgy89wBilooclVQoJwFfpPFYiQPWvsVo26brvda4mGMmKSGpnQrXqEp7JZGYIZnChYirMfjWguk8I0c-6AEU7vVwlJhWR2UCioXxPqaRDB4AVUqRcmlLlzeGHMor6eGO-s0P_hLQ6WqOPVTTvHiQfc6GCdB_wF9R6isQHEgOYc-82jE4tmIlWZxYcvxWr3zw44sXBEriOJTBU7AbrM0UOUp20sKp32Mi5hBScVdCPJsf-E5Hf595MALwTxsvFEQxi45io2_MsNIBresv0cUZAMeUrBLojyHTpNuomlDQrlMdfm8TdnTDa_Zd15bfPgYgd1r4CyDbNd78It42Fi0-KtPrHKak_QV4jVmCAu7JpvzMK84T1sAB_llmsmu5Pi2uknlgsbZcewvmxrMQqrueZhcR_HZTUCYfsqBlJpsPN50AOotb1sRGHU21LJIWVvjkOOyZtNNjCKTATjG2W4QniYyyvdDew8Cmt1NketanwMwSDXiSr-79JyL6cw_N4rNyngQC72T5zE-4zQ=w2160-h1215

You're missing the end caps for the rack. You can pick them up for around $80 a pop...or find used ones, but that can be tricky.

Here's my '06 rack:

image.png

Last edited:
You're missing the end caps for the rack. You can pick them up for around $80 a pop...or find used ones, but that can be tricky.

I already have a thread in the classifieds asking for caps to fit my model. No such luck as of yet. It's not as easy as "picking them up" as these are long discontinued parts and are actually quite rare. Additionally, "$80 a pop" is more than I care to pay for an end cap. Long-term plan is to replace with a Rhino Rack anyway.

I don't believe they are discontinued, as I had to order a pair 6 months ago for an '06 and yours is an '04. Toyota dealer had the cap in a couple days. Is there a 10 year discontinue rule that I'm not in the know about?

But yeah, $80 is outrageous. I got tired of looking at it though, and didn't have a new rack planned. For sure not worth it in your situation.

I don't believe they are discontinued, as I had to order a pair 6 months ago for an '06 and yours is an '04. Toyota dealer had the cap in a couple days. Is there a 10 year discontinue rule that I'm not in the know about?

But yeah, $80 is outrageous. I got tired of looking at it though, and didn't have a new rack planned. For sure not worth it in your situation.

No telling where your dealer sourced it from. Point is, yes, production of non-mechanical parts wanes as the model ages. Varies in length, but my rig is now 12 years old and I wasn't able to source the part via local dealer or web last year when I bought it. Do you have an LX or LC? LX has fewer production numbers and, thus, fewer aftermarket parts produced. The LC cap will NOT fit my rig nor will some other variants of the LX rack so sourcing a LC part equivalent is not an option, unfortunately. And, yes, $80 better spent towards the end goal of going Rhino Rack.

Right, I'm sure the LC cap won't fit the LX. They look quite different if you look at the pic I posted. I've had my truck for years now, and I guess I hadn't thought about non-mechanical parts becoming discontinued. Guess I better get used to it, as this rig isn't going anywhere. :)

Right, I'm sure the LC cap won't fit the LX. They look quite different if you look at the pic I posted. I've had my truck for years now, and I guess I hadn't thought about non-mechanical parts becoming discontinued. Guess I better get used to it, as this rig isn't going anywhere. :)

Not to diverge too far off-topic, but it's a fact of life with this type of stuff. Forums like this are really your best bet to find rare parts, like when someone is replacing OEM with aftermarket or parting out a rig that is totalled. These things'll go forever, but fall apart around you if not taken care of, like all things really. Less so, but still not immune to the affects of aging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom