Columbus Day Moab etc. trip (1 Viewer)

Which would you prefer for Columbus Day etc.?

• Do a Moab trip over Columbus day weekend.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Do a Moab trip over Columbus day and an expedition some other time in the fall.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Do an expedition type trip over Columbus day weekend.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Do an expedition type trip over Columbus day weekend and Moab some other time in the fall.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There has been interest in doing an expedition type trip in the fall, and some have thought about changing
our annual Columbus Day Weekend Moab trip to this expedition trip. It would be, I think, 4 to 5 days of primitive camping with no civilization contact. Although this sounds great, "no civilization contact" means no gas stations, no stores for ice or whatever you forgot, no showers, etc. On the positive side, this would be along some classic southern Utah trail which has not been decided yet.
With a gas FJ40 it means ~ 15 gallons of extra gasoline from what I understand.
So, those going to Moab have choices.

Which would you prefer and probably attend?

Last edited:
Bumping this up before the meeting...

Im not making the meeting this weekend, but wanted to give my .02. I feel we should keep the annual Moab trip and plan for another expedition style at a later date. Kind of nice to have an annual (i.e the same) club trip. Either way I'm there and will participate in what ever the group decides!

only 9 voters? come to think of it, that's about how many make it... anyone else? it's fairly even.

As of right now I going for expedition over Columbus day for two reasons. First being is time is running out to do an expedition style drive through Southern Utah. Second one is it is finding a long weekend to get away on because school is an issue for me. I don't think school however, is a big issue for anyone else, unless you are bringing kids on this trip. Overall school is only an issue for me and shouldn't effect the entire group's choice. If another date on a long weekend showed up I would be down for that for the expedition trip and do what Jared said about keeping the standard date for Moab and then a second long weekend for expedition.

E. All of the above

:flipoff2:

Hmmm I'll have to think about it I'm interested in both. Moab would be great with a smaller group (not CM) but I'd love to do an extended trip as well. So for now I'm sticking we E. All of the above

+ I'm with Ali on the Gila expedition idea

If Columbus Day is the traditional club run to Moab, leave it as is; then members can rely on the traditional run and plan way in advanced if need be. I am all for an expedition trip at any time.

This pains me, but at this time ... I'm out. Harvest Festival has been moved a week later. Dang, and it was my idea. So no S. Utah with HDC for Pappy at this time. It will all come down to whether my boss thinks I need to be there.

So far we have 6 for Moab and 5 for an expedition, so it looks like we can do both! I will be up for Moab, but unless I get a windfall and can afford to upgrade the 4Runner, I'm out of the expedition anyway.

Who is up for what?

I don't think school however, is a big issue for anyone else, unless you are bringing kids on this trip. Overall school is only an issue for me and shouldn't effect the entire group's choice.

We selected that specific weekend in October for a couple of reasons and the primary reason was because ABQ (maybe all of NM) has that as an extended weekend with the kids having Monday as a holiday. This is so that families can attend and bring their kids. The secondary reasons have to do with good weather, smaller crowds, and it is 5 months past CM which spaces out the two Utah events. There is another reason that is important to a few of us old-timers and is sentimental.

-Mike-

Last edited:
I didn't vote because although I really want to do the expedition, I'm not sure yet if I can do either. Ashleigh doesn't get Columbus Day at UNM, she gets the following thurs and fri (14-15). However, she may be trying to fly to GA for a cousins wedding over Columbus Day, and if she does that, hopefully she'll take the kids and I'm in for whatever is chosen.

Oh yeah, here's a bit of info on the national monuments. I'm not sure about the area Beno went--if it's part of the Swell or part of another bill or if the ranger was uninformed.
http://shilohtv.com/?p=5595

I didn't vote because I don't expect to be able to attend anything in October because of other vacation plans. However, if I could attend and I was voting, I'd go for the Moab base camp idea. I would love to do an expedition trip but I don't think I have a truck that's built well enough to handle it. Plus, I don't think that style of trip would agree with my family very well. I take way too long to setup and teardown camp. Having to do it every day would suck. I would seriously slow the group down.

Oh yeah, here's a bit of info on the national monuments. I'm not sure about the area Beno went--if it's part of the Swell or part of another bill or if the ranger was uninformed.
14 New National Monuments Considered by Obama Administration | ShilohTV

This, from that link, is what we need to convince the FS of: "I will challenge federal officials to explain to me how they could possibly be in a better position to know what’s best for our rural lands than those of us here on the ground in this state.”

We selected that specific weekend in October for a couple of reasons and the primary reason was because ABQ (maybe all of NM) has that as an extended weekend with the kids having Monday as a holiday. This is so that families can attend and bring their kids. The secondary reasons have to do with good weather, smaller crowds, and it is 5 months past CM which spaces out the two Utah events. There is another reason that is important to a few of us old-timers and is sentimental.

-Mike-

With that information now my opinion has changed to keep the normal Moab trip.

I didn't vote because although I really want to do the expedition, I'm not sure yet if I can do either. Ashleigh doesn't get Columbus Day at UNM, she gets the following thurs and fri (14-15). However, she may be trying to fly to GA for a cousins wedding over Columbus Day, and if she does that, hopefully she'll take the kids and I'm in for whatever is chosen.

Glad to have UNM dates posted, I pretty sure I didn't get Columbus Day off. Thanks for the information.

I like the traditional Moab trip, but the wife tells me she prefers the expedition idea. I actually am ok with either, but my rig is set up better for harder wheeling with a gas station close by.

I like the traditional Moab trip, but the wife tells me she prefers the expedition idea.

It's all part of the subversive 80 propaganda movement!

It would be, I think, 4 to 5 days of primitive camping with no civilization contact. Although this sounds great, "no civilization contact" means no gas stations, no stores for ice or whatever you forgot, no showers, etc.

Since when did this group get so sissy about not having gas stations or showers? Sad really.

Of course I say that and didn't vote beause I have no idea about my domestic situation and whether I'll be able to take the kids, which decides the conclusion, I guess.

I'm strongly in favor of an expedition now. Ashleigh is taking the kids to see family from 10/8-10/17. I convinced her to let me join late--10/12, so I could go on the trip. Anyone up for an expedition, count me in for sure. Better make it worth it for her to take the kids solo and me come at my leisure. :)

I put in to get the weekend off. I prefer to wheel hard, but I'm up for expedition style too.

The only problem with expedition travel is I get bored. I need a little scraping, the smell of burning rubber, and the risk of damage to keep me going. If I get bored I'll have wished I was watching TV at home. In the words of a college buddy, after 3 days camping and wheeling, who I took out near Ouray, "I'm so sick of pretty, I just wahnt some concrete and a great beg pahking lot." He was from Boston.

I'll throw it out there again, why travel all the way to Moab when you have badass wheeling only 3 hours from ABQ. We got hotels, RV parks, and open camping in the Glade with a permit.

Something to think about if you guys decide to do 2 trips instead of one. Or wheel the expedition style for the first part and end up in Farm for a day of hard wheeling and then head home.

TR

Says the guy with dual gas tanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom