Chevy 63" Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those on my Mini are NOT the stock hangers! They came from WFO Concepts linked in a post above somewhere.

I highly doubt that any of the aftermarket springs for the original application for these springs have the same design features, and two of those features are why you want the GM springs and not something aftermarket. The OE springs are far superior to anything that I've seen from any aftermarket mfg.

FL cruiser said:
4Wheel parts sells 63" Chevy springs with various lifts for cheap.

I purchased some 3" lift Chevy springs and stayed SUA on my 60.
Made new mounts and left the axle centered exactly where it was before. Also left all five leaves in the springs.

It gave the vehicle exactly 3" lift and sits even with the OME Dakar springs in the front.

Were your new mounts just as tall as the OEM Toyota ones, or closer to the low profile ones that you get in the kits? I'd ideally want to keep my same wheelbase, 2" of spring lift and stay SUA with 63" springs........then do the same to my front with a SR and replacing those springs with my AAL'd OEM rears :D

Sent from a Motorola brick phone

Would a measurement from the bottom of the frame to the bolt center of those WFO front mounts be of any help?

Didn't know that those old bricks could do net stuff. Too cool!

Were your new mounts just as tall as the OEM Toyota ones, or closer to the low profile ones that you get in the kits? I'd ideally want to keep my same wheelbase, 2" of spring lift and stay SUA with 63" springs........then do the same to my front with a SR and replacing those springs with my AAL'd OEM rears :D

Sent from a Motorola brick phone

My understanding is that if you have a taller mount you can use a shorter shackle. You are looking for 2" of lift and I'm looking for 3". Heckraiser said it can easily be done SUA by playing with shackle length.

Next I'd like to know if anyone has done 52" or 56"-57" in the front. I figure if the chevies are so good in the rear they must also be good for the front.

ntsqd said:
Would a measurement from the bottom of the frame to the bolt center of those WFO front mounts be of any help?

Didn't know that those old bricks could do net stuff. Too cool!

:lol: I just made it a bit more specific for the Mud geeks :D

A measurement would be great. If I've gotta redo the spring mounts anyway I'd prefer to weld on a pair of the low profile ones and then fine tune the height with shackle length and placement of the shackle hangers.

nikos8, I would think the ideal leaf spring configuration up front would be OEM 60 series rears (beefed up as necessary for whatever weight you're carrying on the front end) with a shackle reversal. I figure if you're going to put longer springs up front you'll have to move the hangers around up there too, and at that point you may as well do a SR too. I could be wrong but it seems to me this would be a great way to go.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Last edited:
Duplicate post; ForumRunner won't let me delete it....

:lol:

nikos8, I would think the ideal leaf spring configuration up front would be OEM 60 series rears (beefed up as necessary for whatever weight you're carrying on the front end) with a shackle reversal. I figure if you're going to put longer springs up front you'll have to move the hangers around up there too, and at that point you may as well do a SR too. I could be wrong but it seems to me this would be a great way to go.

OEM Springs are a no go. They are mangled. I would need new springs no matter what. I have no problem moving the hangers. Unless there is another reason not to use the chevy springs up front. Originally I was thinking OME for the front.

nikos8 said:
OEM Springs are a no go. They are mangled. I would need new springs no matter what. I have no problem moving the hangers. Unless there is another reason not to use the chevy springs up front. Originally I was thinking OME for the front.

It might be worth seeing if you can get a pair of rears from a local wrecker or the classifieds on here, then a pair of full length AALs from Man A Fre. I could be wrong, but I think any longer than that might be too long for the front and allow for a lot of sway during on-road driving. 'Course that could be solved with sway bars using quick-disconnects....

The WFO mounts are 3" from the frame to the bolt center at the shortest possible direction; shackles are 6" bolt center to bolt center.

AFAIK the shorter GM springs like the 53's and 56's (?), if that is indeed what was being discussed for the front, lack the spacers and sliders that make the OE 63's such a good piece.

Was planning on running these on my old HJ61. (Ajps-hj-61) to clear 38's with less lift!!

sounds like plan .. let us know what you got .. if you do .. I might be able to source those from mm .. not that expensive down here ..

I made my own hangers for the front and bought a bushing kit for the rear to run it through the frame. If I were to do it again I'd put the rear bushing lower in the frame (much like Kavik did) and run a little shorter shackle. I ended up moving my axle back 3". .

yes .. I remember the frame bushing part .. thanks for your comments . that would help in the process .. still need to found decent ones down here .. that would be bith to bring spring packs from states ..

The WFO mounts are 3" from the frame to the bolt center at the shortest possible direction; shackles are 6" bolt center to bolt center.

AFAIK the shorter GM springs like the 53's and 56's (?), if that is indeed what was being discussed for the front, lack the spacers and sliders that make the OE 63's such a good piece.

Well then I can always go back to the original plan for the front - OME.

Nikos8, If you are interested, I will have a full set of fj60 springs available soon. I am in the process of a frame swap.
Rear springs up front is a proven way to soften up your ride.

Nikos8, If you are interested, I will have a full set of fj60 springs available soon. I am in the process of a frame swap.
Rear springs up front is a proven way to soften up your ride.

Thanks, but I think I'm going to go with OME up front. WIll the stock rears give any lift up front?

They are not chevy leaves but I am running a set of 58" up front in SR on a SOA configuration. The pin is offset so I was able to move my front axle 3" forward, keep my SOA low, and have great articulation. They are at the very front of the frame.

They are not chevy leaves but I am running a set of 58" up front in SR on a SOA configuration. The pin is offset so I was able to move my front axle 3" forward, keep my SOA low, and have great articulation. They are at the very front of the frame.
What kind of road manners does your rig have with the longer springs?

I have a friend that wheels a full size Chevy truck that uses the 53" chevy rears up front on his truck and they work really well...

not the greatest pic of it flexing, but it does work good on the trail...

:cheers:
053.jpg

It sounds like a good choice for the front springs. The 63" springs are too long to be used on the front of the truck unless you plan on building out the front frame a bit.

53" Chevy sounds like midl alternative to 63" Chevys .. and all the work involved with those ..

They are still longer than stock rears by 5" so you would still have to relocate the hangers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom