Events/Trails Casner Camping Sept. 8-10, Trail run Sept. 9, 2023 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brices123

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
I was just contacted by the Forrest Service and was given the chance to have the Casner permit for the week of September 4th - 10th. I am going to be out of the country during the time and I am wondering if anyone wants to take the lead on this?
I need to let the Forrest Service know one way or another by noon on August 3rd.

Please PM/DM me if you are interested in leading and/or post on this thread.

Thank you.

I’m in for it and if I need to lead I’m happy to do it.
Matt, thank you for stepping up.

I will let the Forrest Service know.

Interested

I'm interested in camping the 8th, 9th and 10th if this ends up being a weekend run.

CASNER TRAIL #8 - ANNUAL RUN 2023

Let's go ahead and nail down the details.

Dates: Camping September 8-10, Casner Trail #8 Run on Saturday September 9th at 10am.

Camping Location: 34°58'36.4"N 111°47'55.8"W - https://goo.gl/maps/qBAhkEvyPUGKwGYk9 or therabouts depending on what is available when we get up there. Hopefully we can get someone up on Thursday night or early on Friday to get a banner up and beat the weekend rush. This area is generally called "Edge of the World" or "East Pocket".

528C35F2-944E-46D2-8DEF-3E18E5330FEA_1_105_c.jpeg

Non-Camping Meetup Location: 34°51'50.1"N 111°48'04.6"W - https://goo.gl/maps/EF5bnu3hJ5cEAib66 (The Safeway parking lot at 2300 AZ-89A, Sedona, AZ 86336) at 9:30am for air-down. We usually meet towards the McDonalds end of the parking lot.

Comms: GMRS or HAM depending on what folks have but HAM preferred. Probably running 146.460 throughout the trip. Certainly the best way to contact camp if you are having trouble finding your way there. If you don't have your license or a radio, no worries as we will usually have a few extras that use can use to listen in.

Trail Expectations: Both times I've done this trail it was spectacular , not too long and relatively tame. No technical at all really, but some good steep switchbacks and amazing views in all directions. A good trip report can be found here: Events/Trails - Casner 2022 - September ROTM (9th & 10) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/casner-2022-september-rotm-9th-10.1291995/post-14607448

Important note: Trail conditions can change from year to year but this past year two stock 4Runners were able to handle it without issue. I don't specifically remember any areas where pinstriping would be a problem, but that is no guarantee. This is not a trail to be intimidated by, but its a great one to feel like you actually used your truck for what it was designed for.​

Our permit requires a minimum of three vehicle and a maximum of 10 vehicles doing the run. You don't need to be camping to do the run, but campers who also want to do the run will have first priority.

Casner Trail #8 Run Participants:
  1. @TheGrrrrr
  2. @lxraider75
  3. @AZdan
  4. @DesmoPilot
  5. @ftbshop
  6. Open
  7. Open
  8. Open
  9. Open
There are no regulatory limits for the number of vehicles or people camping so the more the merrier:

Happy Campers:

Attachments

• Casner Trail Map.pdf
    541.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Seeing that all three 80s in my fleet are in various states of disassembly...will I be stoned if I show up on my ADV bike for a night?

Thought had a 4th gen 4Runner? Am I mistaken or do you no longer have it?

2018 Casner Mountain fog run.
View attachment 3402932View attachment 3402931
yeah, I had a 2004 T4R Sport, but sold it a couple years back. I had my truck and my 97 80 at the time and just didn't need it. It rolled over 278,000 flawless miles. Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. Never leaked a drop of oil, never let me down, and flat out took a beating without looking back.

So what's the itinerary exactly? I just need to figure out of I need to take leave or not. Seems like meeting on a Friday and going through the weekend?

Put me down as a maybe for camping at least one night. My truck told me other day it's forgotten what dirt feels like.

So what's the itinerary exactly? I just need to figure out of I need to take leave or not. Seems like meeting on a Friday and going through the weekend?

The itinerary is camping friday and saturday night with the run on Saturday morning into the afternoon. The permit for the run requires a minimum of 3 vehicles and a maximum of 10 vehicles. I picked up the permit from Brice today, so we are good to go on that front. Hopefully somebody will be able to get to the campsite early and stake claim, I'll certainly try to get out as early as possible on Friday but probably won't be until afternoon.

The meetup on Saturday for the run is at the Safeway in Sedona, so if people aren't able to camp but still want to do the run, they can just meet up there.

Please sign me up for the camping and trail run.
Will there be a group travelling up together?

Please sign me up for the camping and trail run.
Will there be a group travelling up together?
Whoops, I was just informed by my cruise director that I have a prior engagement that weekend so I will not be able to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom