Carb rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just rebuilt a stock carb from a '73? FJ40 that has the California emissions. I was going to eliminate the plate with a hose fitting(about 1/2") that goes between the carb base and the middle section. I then realized that it will require some mod to the linkage. If I leave it on, won't it make my carb too tall for the stock 2F aircleaner?
I've got a f 1/2 out of a '74 and I'm running the 2F intake and a header. My rig is a '66, so I have no emissions other than tha PCV valve.
Thanks,
Ed Long :)

I have a 1971 with a 2F 77 and the 71 carb. . I think it's better to use the old style air cleaner on your 73 carb. it's a clean perfect fit. I'm not even sure that the later air cleaner will fit on a early carb. The top of the carbs are not the same...

Nadeau71
Had to go to the 2F AC because the PS pump sits right where the old AC was, had to flip the alt to pass side, 2F valve cover, etc. I can adapt the carb to the 2F AC if necessary. Just wondering about that smog equipment between the throttle body and the venturi.
Specifically if it will make the carb too high and if I can just plug it off. ???
Ed Long

Ed,
I don't know about the Air Cleaner and so forth, but that carb plenum you are talking about has two functions. The hose fitting is for the vacuum to the pcv valve. If you have some other way to get vacuum to the pcv, there is no problem plugging it. But the carb plenum is also an insulator. I know that if you change the thickness of it, it will change the temperature and flow of the intake, and it may affect your carburation and overall running quality. I can't say how much, but my mechanic thought it would affect cold temperature carburation if I went with a thicker 2F plenum on my F carb, so I would expect the inverse to happen if you completely eliminate it. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Dave,
Of course! That all makes sense, it is the same thickness as the normal insulator, and it looked like vacuum, because it is tucked under the venturi. BUT, I want to use a heat shield-type insulator because of the header...so I guess I have a '73 carb with California emissions stuff for sale.
The insulator I have goes between the carb and manifold and has the PCV fitting, if I use both I'll be scrotally tooed.
None so blind as he who will not see.
Thanks,
Ed :)

Yeah, you sure don't need both. I ran my carb just fine with your headers without the heat shield. Sure you have to have it? Why not stick with the '73 plenum?

Dave,
Well, I've got the plenum, the one with the heat shield, as well as the plain Jane, between the carb and manifold insulator/plenum. I sort of have this "MASTER PLAN" to tear it down once and be done with it, right?????
Really thinking about JetHotting the header. Anybody done this? Kinda pricey on the one hand, but apparently bulletproof on the other. 195.00???? Just got a quote...that's plus shipping.
I'll bet the plenum with the heatshield will fit right where the CA emissions insulator/plenum fits. Like between the Bowl(middle) section of the carb, (throttle body).
If not I know it will fit under the carb, like all other insulators.
Anybody need a rebuilt 2bbl carb? ??? :)
Degnol...Ed Long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom