Can someone double check my brake shoe install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thebigredrocker

SILVER Star
Threads
Just trying to see if my 71 FJ40 engine will run before I spend money on new brake stuff. So I'm just trying to use the brake components she came with.

1. Am I ok with the rearward springs on the outside of the shoes? The PO had all springs behind the shoes.

2. Does it matter if the side of the shoe where the lining is flush with the shoe edge faces in or out? 3 of my rear shoes have the flush side towards the backing plate. One has the lip side towards the backing plate.

3. Do I have my right rear adjuster ramp oriented correctly.

Thank You

Left rear
image.jpeg

Right rear
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

From what I can see it looks OK. One spring on the inside of the shoes and one on the outside. Shoes sit in the groove on top of the piston as you show. Are you running the F or F 1.5 in that rig? Just curious.

Here are a couple pictures out of the owners manual, look closely at the shoe as to which end is toward the front of the vehicle.
Also as Calgary40 says, there has to be a pin and clip installed in that hole to keep the shoe pulled toward the backing plate.

Jerry D.

003.jpg

Thanks fellas and thanks for the excellent photo @Jdc1. I appreciate the help.

I see those clips now. Any idea who sells something as piddly as a brake shoe pins and clips?

Thanks fellas and thanks for the excellent photo @Jdc1. I appreciate the help.

I see those clips now. Any idea who sells something as piddly as a brake shoe pins and clips?

Rock Auto has the raybestos hardware kits for pretty cheap. Maybe a local store could supply the pin and clip only?

@Jdc1 I might dive into the front cylinders tonight. Maybe I'll get lucky and find pins that can be used as a reference. If non are present on the front, I'll wonder if 6/71's came with pins. Maybe @Coolerman would know.

My 68 doesn't have the pins and clips, I think that is why the springs are mounted behind the shoes. It helps keep the shoes against the backing plate. In fact there are no holes in the backing plate for the pins.

My 68 doesn't have the pins and clips, I think that is why the springs are mounted behind the shoes. It helps keep the shoes against the backing plate. In fact there are no holes in the backing plate for the pins.

Hmm.... Interesting... My springs were both on the back side before disassembly. While reading about rebuilding brake cylinders I noticed a few sources said one spring in front, seemed easier so that's what I did.

@tjhaga have you noticed if the edge of your shoes which have the brake lining ALL the way to the edge have a common orientation theme? Does my question make any sense? Thanks

The picture I posted is from the '68 owners manual. From day one, my '68 had the springs front and back as shown, also it had the pins and clips.
Please check with others, put the brakes together as designed, the attached pictures are from the '68 FJ40 owners manual, springs are front and back of brake shoes, all shoes have pin and clip.

Jerry D.

front.jpg

rear.jpg

@Jerry D. Thanks for posting that. Do you recall how your adjuster ramps are oriented. I drew on the picture below how I found my front right adjuster ramps are setup last night.
image.png

I don't think it's hardly worth mentioning but I checked my Toyota Land Cruiser Repair Manual #97214 from 1966 and it clearly shows both brake shoe springs behind the shoes with no pins or clips. As I said there aren't even holes in the backing plate for the pins. Toyota probably changed things mid year?

Adjustment ramps as shown attached, angled so shoe does not move outward. (You have one incorrect in your picture, the one near #3)

Also, if your shoes have lining (like OEM Toyota) that stops short of the full arc, make sure they are placed in the correct orientation as shown in the attached picture (red circles) ...

Jerry D.

front.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom