Camp Axe Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm so stoked guys, i had to share my own experience today.
- yesterday i visited a lady who i now know as a usedstuff re-seller, she doen't really know what she's got, but she has a good eye.
-bought a ton of great stuff, but she was firm on the axe, which i spotted in her ad. Man with LandCruiser needs axe, me thinks - to last a lifetime!

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classif...r-Hoses--so-much-more-of-other-stuff_23976134
^here is the link to the ad, if really curious..

-i've been looking for a good while and in the end she was firm at getting $20 bucks, which i thought was steep. i bought a lot of great tools and a mint coleman 444 stove, and got an incredible deal overall, which i might resist elaborating on.

yesterday this axe had some minor mildew on the handle, and little rust on the painted black head, little pitting and a sharp edge, and tight fitting head, with a hickory handle..

today and im cleaning it up, insert pictures:
GBA_30_inch_3lb_head_2.jpg

my clean up reveals letters MADE IN SWEDEN - what!
then i see a stamp with lettering GBA - whats this? it appears to be a gransford bruks

i won the axe lottery. i suggest the one that's best is this, cause i feel elated.
it's a 3lb head and 30 1/2 " overall length. "perfect, but it will have to do."

GBA_30_inch_3lb_head.jpg
That looks like the GB logo----

Ya, so I've been using the axe for a few camping outings and I must tell u:
1. I would not get an axe lighter than 3lbs, unless I was buying for a kid.
2. The GBA axe - man does it hold an edge!
3. Go camping!

I found Wranglerstar's channel on youtube. He deals mostly with woodwork and spends a fair amount of time reviewing axes, if anyone is interested in a more professional opinion.

I've done this kind of thing for a while and would like to make a slightly different suggestion. for branches up to about 4 inches a machete ( light weight not Gerber) is the way to go. If you want to cut larger logs to around 8 or 10 inches it's hard to beat a Wyoming saw. They work better and the total weight is less than an axe.

I've used the craps out of my Ontario military machete. They're excellent for limbing but I couldn't see butoning with one, they've got to much flexibility.

I really wanted a Gransfors Bruks splitting axe for camp. I read the reviews, watched youtube video reviews and decided it was the one. But the second most often referenced splitting axe was the Fiskars X27. I ended up ordering the X27 due to the great warranty.

It should be here next week and I have some splitting to do. I'll post my impression soon.

I've done this kind of thing for a while and would like to make a slightly different suggestion. for branches up to about 4 inches a machete ( light weight not Gerber) is the way to go. If you want to cut larger logs to around 8 or 10 inches it's hard to beat a Wyoming saw. They work better and the total weight is less than an axe.
I have also used a machete in the past, they work well, but I prefer an axe because the poll end is useful so it's a multi tasker. Machetes are way cooler though.

Its tough to beat a bow saw for actually cutting logs and branches, unless you have a chain saw.

I have a bunch of axes. My preference is for Ox heads. I've got 4 of them. But my desire for a heavier, splitting hammering axe got
me thinking. I am not a fan of hatchets, but as I get older I get a bit more careful and they have their uses as well.
I just ordered these, should be interesting to see them when I pick them up next week.
The quality of the steel is going to determine the real value so wait and see now.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73073&cat=51&ap=1

I have a bunch of axes. My preference is for Ox heads. I've got 4 of them. But my desire for a heavier, splitting hammering axe got
me thinking. I am not a fan of hatchets, but as I get older I get a bit more careful and they have their uses as well.
I just ordered these, should be interesting to see them when I pick them up next week.
The quality of the steel is going to determine the real value so wait and see now.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73073&cat=51&ap=1
Interested to hear a review on this product. I like hatchets.

I really wanted a Gransfors Bruks splitting axe for camp. I read the reviews, watched youtube video reviews and decided it was the one. But the second most often referenced splitting axe was the Fiskars X27. I ended up ordering the X27 due to the great warranty.

It should be here next week and I have some splitting to do. I'll post my impression soon.

I put the Fiskars X27 to the test last weekend.

Splitting 10 - 20" rounds was childs play. The most difficult thing to learn with this splitting axe is how much to back off. The first 5 splits I made left the axe buried in the base round. In the end it took the weight of the head to split any piece that did not have a knot. With a knot it took a little more swing but still less than any axe I have used previously.

Keep your work area clear of occupants as the shape of the head sends the splits flying. When splitting heavily knotted rounds removing the axe from the wood was easy. Again the shape of the head and the nonstick coating helped greatly.

Strangely enough I let a friend try splitting a round. He must have chosen a very wet round or was swinging like a 4 yo. He had to hit that piece a dozen times to get a split. I did notice he was trying to split from a vertical swing. I start my swing with hands apart and accelerate the head as I close my hands starting from behind. I think I get a lot more head speed than he was getting. One of the things you will notice right away is the length of the handle. You can really get some speed with the longer lever.

I don't have a lot of experience with splitting specific axes but I would give this one a solid 9/10. The only thing keeping it from being a 10 is it's not as beautiful as a Gransfors Brux axe. When you consider the price I payed, $52.99 delivered, it completely blows the competition away.

Cold steel didn't last long...
IMAG1060.jpg

^^oops, bummer. maybe just poor wood? Looks almost brand new.

It is new lol.

I'm not impressed with handle. Gotta find a new one now

I bought one of the very best competition chopping axes and the handle broke after about 2 hrs. ??
Just got a bad handle, I got a replacement but it isn't as nice as the original felt.

I don't know a whole lot about axes, but we have the Fiskar axe and its damn sharp and light. My friends that have chopped and split a helluva lot more wood than me... they say its one of the best axes they've used. Wish i could give you more insight, but i can't. All i know is i would not hesitate going with the Fiskar brand.

21DQ565CVVL._SS500_.jpg
Chopping angle is too acute--go look at Granfors

It is new lol.

I'm not impressed with handle. Gotta find a new one now
wood grain on handle is wrong-they put the head on right where the sap wood meets the heart----bad karma
Can't see who made this thing--interested to know so I don't buy anything from them--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom