Camp Axe Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I camp a fair bit during the summer months. Always have been tent people but just picked up myself a pop up. So it isn't going into a pack. Anyway, I am looking for a good camp axe for splitting wood. I have a 12-13" Gerber maybe a pound. It is too small for the large pieces. I think a maul is overkill. All of the following axes are in the $25-75 range.

I am looking at
Estwing 26" campers axe
Estwing Fireside Friend 13" maul type axe
Gerber 17" camp axe
Fiskar 28" Power axe

Any suggestions that are on the list or others would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

little axes suck. sorry but they do. they look cool but once you have to cut something big you realize they are a tool whos only real job is kindling. The fiskars and gerber are cool axes, the look kick ass and cut great and would probally be great backup for zombie killing ;) . However I find im usually chopping wood withoout a chopping block or in a situation where I could easily hit something other than wood, like rocks and dirt.

Long story short i would go with the big estwing or something big and cheap as steel is easy to sharpen and wont chip as bad. If you are mostly getting it "in case" and want a kick ass looking setup then i would buy the Fiskars or Gerber.

If you can find a timber falling axe, they're perfect for that stuff.

I have a Fiskars splitting axe and LOVE it. Not sure the size, but it is the standard they sell at Home Depot for to split your fire would with :grinpimp: When light camping I use my Ka-Bar it's a great multi tasker! Hope this helps.

Edit:
Okay so I've got the 28" Pro Splitting and for car camping it's perfect. It does the work I used to use a splitting maul for...not quite as affective, but does the job.

I like the gerber!

WTF is a pole Axe??

I have the Eastwing 26" Campers axe and it's great for chopping but not splitting

I don't know a whole lot about axes, but we have the Fiskar axe and its damn sharp and light. My friends that have chopped and split a helluva lot more wood than me... they say its one of the best axes they've used. Wish i could give you more insight, but i can't. All i know is i would not hesitate going with the Fiskar brand.

21DQ565CVVL._SS500_.jpg

I don't know a whole lot about axes, but we have the Fiskar axe and its damn sharp and light. My friends that have chopped and split a helluva lot more wood than me... they say its one of the best axes they've used. Wish i could give you more insight, but i can't. All i know is i would not hesitate going with the Fiskar brand.

x2 on the 28" Fiskar axe. I saw them on sale at the local Sears yesterday for $36.99, cheaper than I've seen on the net.

21DQ565CVVL._SS500_.jpg

these are a really nice axe for cutting wood, nothing you would want to hammer on with a sledge, i know your not supposed to on this type of axe but i have given a steel axe a smack once or twice in notted wood. I would use this at home with a good chopping block, but in the woods i find there is usually rocky ground and often nothing that constitutes a chopping block around. So i suggest the "beater" axe for my vehicle. If I wanted the cool looking axe the fiskars takes the cake though.

The camp Axe you describe that you have now is what I call a hatchet.

The requirement to get a camp Axe used for splitting wood depends greatly on the type of wood you will be splitting. The fiskars and eastwing are very good axes but suck at splitting hardwood with knots. I will give anybody on this form 20 minutes to split a piece of Oak from a crotch ot with a knot in it with one of those axes. Don't mean to be negative but we heat with wood now and ever since I was a youngster in Iowa. Didn't get a gasoline powered log splitter until 1984.

Nack on toppic, if you a popping Tamarack apart, a double bit axe will do just fine.

Here is my current line up.
DSCF6670.JPG
DSCF6672.JPG
DSCF6675.JPG

Here are my favorite two depending on what I'm doing.

The blue one is a Collin 6lb. I pin the head on all of my axes. I use this for pounding wedges when felling trees.

The Orange headed one is european design and works great for splitting or pounding wedges. What I don't like about it is the unegue handle design. It is easy to replace the hickory handle but it has round ringed wedges that you drive in. i generally replace all of my handles with Nupla handles and I cannot do it easily on this one with the handle style I like.
DSCF6676.JPG
DSCF6677.JPG
DSCF6678.JPG

Fiskars has a bunch of differant sizes....super axe...love them....unbreakable.well balanced...i would highy recommend one....A long time ago, you could get get one at sears...I don't know if they are still available their or not...the site is a little flowery, but they have good products...I think the axes are under gardening/cuttingtools/axes...

www.fiskars.com

I have the 17.5" gerber and its been a great axe to take camping. I havn't had to spilt wood with it cause I have usually taken wood with me that was split. but if i had to split with it i would try to use it normally but if not i would get it started and then hit it with my small 4lb sledge to drive it thru.

Here are my favorite two depending on what I'm doing.

The blue one is a Collin 6lb. I pin the head on all of my axes. I use this for pounding wedges when felling trees.

Collins makes a damn good axe, they've been around forever.

That being said I never camp with a axe. Instead I pack a Corona pruning saw.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/Images/Large/1742_81269_p1.jpg

initially I used these for back country camping because of their light weight, but them started packing it for regular outings as well. It's unbelievably sharp and can cut through logs nearly twice it's length in no time at all.

If I'm Cadillac camping I generally split all my wood at home and save the camping trip for disposing of cold liquid livations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom