Buying/Selling - what year, how much, etc. - ask for opinions here (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
Ask your questions here about buying and selling 100 series Cruisers.

- What years are better?
- What features changed?
- How much should I pay for this rig?
- How much should I sell my truck for?

Slee's guide to year-by-year changes to the 100 series:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

Enjoy. All future buying/selling threads will be merged into this one.

Prices? 98-02

Wow, I have been searching all over and it seems like prices are all over the board for LCs. Is this somewhat common? If you are able to give me any local insights from where you live; greatly appreciated. It seems like many are asking a pretty high price, in my opinion for a 98/99 LC. Then, I find one at a killer price half way around the country:(

What do you think, your opinion, is too high of mileage to buy a 98 or 99?

Thanks for any thoughts!

2000 LC price

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 2000 LC with 86,000 miles on it. it has not had the 90K service done yet. The asking price is 19,990. Trade on the truck is 13,800 and PP value is 16485. Retail is 19135 according to KBB. I was told the 90K service could be completed for 450.00 although I don't know yet is included in that service. I want the timing belt and water pump changed. My question is what would be a fair offer?

Almost 20K for a 2000 without the 90K service seems extremely high. Most 90K servces run from a grand on up. Sure the mileage is pretty low for a 9 year old truck.

Who told you the service cost 450 dealer? Seller?

Better yet, is it a dealer or private sale?

I thought the price was really high too. It is a dealer sale. The quote for the 90K service is from the Toyota dealer in town that serviced the LC since new. The seller just checked the price with the dealer who serviced the truck. Maybe the reason for the low price on the service is a dealer to dealer deal. I don't know.

Just trying to figure out what reasonable offer is for a 2000 in great shape with 87K miles without the 90K service. The prices from Dallas to Greensboro for used LCs is all across the board. I have been looking everywhere....

I appreciate all the input.

There are a few in the Atlanta craigslist going to 10K. I beleive it's a 99 or 2000. Worth checking out. Been a whole so maybe it's up there.

Jeep looking. Even though it looks like the dealer is comp'ing half the 90K service. Your still paying way to much. Were going into 2010, it's a 10 year old truck for 20 grand. They are dreaming, many will come along thatll be better. Keep your eyes peeled in the classified. Every now and then one pops up and is either built for prestine.

I have been checking Craigslist. I am trying to keep the miles under about 130K. I know if they are well maintained they will get a lot more than that. I just don't want to start out in one that has 160 or 170K miles on it.

That's why I was looking at this one. Guess I will just keep looking. I thought maybe I would just offer the seller around 13.5 and see if he took it. I am assuming everyone on here still thinks that's too much??

99 or 00

Ok...I am looking at a either a 99 or 00. The 99 has the weak diff...some of the 00s came with the dreaded transmission failure...which should i go with...the vehicle will be use for camping and pulling my e1 popup....thanks for any thoughts!

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 2000 LC with 86,000 miles on it. it has not had the 90K service done yet. The asking price is 19,990. Trade on the truck is 13,800 and PP value is 16485. Retail is 19135 according to KBB. I was told the 90K service could be completed for 450.00 although I don't know yet is included in that service. I want the timing belt and water pump changed. My question is what would be a fair offer?

Just over a month ago, I was looking at a white/tan 2000 LC (very clean, 2 owner) with 117k on it. The 90k had been done, and it was on a large dealer lot. I got them down to $13.4k. You can find a much better deal than $20k if you are patient.

100 vs 03 4Runner

Hi Guys, been lurking for a while and I'm thinking about getting a 100 due to a growing family. This will be my first Landcruiser, and hopefully the last vehicle I buy for a while. I was wondering what differences I could expect from a 100. I've been told that they have been built to a higher standard than a 4Runner, and that they will be more durable/longer lasting. I'm not too worried about power as my 4Runner has the V8 now. I know it will be harder to fit on some trails. Anyone else out there go from a 4Runner to a 100?

I just bought a 98, with 140k in awsome shape for 9000.00. I looked for along time. I say take your time with it and factor in travel/ shipping cost. It might be worth paying a little more for some thing local. Good Luck!!!

Hi Guys, been lurking for a while and I'm thinking about getting a 100 due to a growing family. This will be my first Landcruiser, and hopefully the last vehicle I buy for a while. I was wondering what differences I could expect from a 100. I've been told that they have been built to a higher standard than a 4Runner, and that they will be more durable/longer lasting. I'm not too worried about power as my 4Runner has the V8 now. I know it will be harder to fit on some trails. Anyone else out there go from a 4Runner to a 100?

Are you keeping the 4runner? I think that would make a big difference in the year LC you look at. The Landcruiser is built to a higher standard and you will notice the difference. It's a much heavier truck and you will feel that coming from a 4runner. I'm sure you'll be happy with the extra room. It's full time 4wheel drive, but the safety features vary around 2003 I think. Search for A-TRAC and you will see some discussion on that. If you want the latest and greatest you will have to go with a 2006 for the higher HP engine. Not sure how you feel about NAV, but it is something to consider regarding future repair. I would for-go AHC if you are going to build for off road. Good luck and welcome to mud.

Ok. Here is how I look at the years in terms of building them or driving them as a luxury DD.

98-99- build those for hardcore wheeling. Already have a Rear locker and no navi or ahc to die or extra stuff. No atrac.

00-02- mild wheeling. Has nice gadgets and atrac. Little safer for the kids and wife to drive but no rear locker.

03+ - navi, ahc (06 and up I believe), atrac, 5spd, 18's, revamped dash, Luxo 100's. Wheel them lightly and keep them shiny!

We have a 06 4runner sport an it still feels lightweight compared to the 100. After driving the 4runner for a week and getting in the 100, it feels like a German car. Planted, heavy, and just down right tough. Most Japanese vehicles always have a "lightweight" feel to them. Only japanese vehicle that doesn't have that feeling is the 100. Even the V8 4runner has that feeling.

Go with a 100. It won't let you down.

Ok...I am looking at a either a 99 or 00. The 99 has the weak diff...some of the 00s came with the dreaded transmission failure...which should i go with...the vehicle will be use for camping and pulling my e1 popup....thanks for any thoughts!

Go with the stronger diff. I have a 00 and tow a 5,000 lb travel trailer, as well as loaded utility trailers. Never had a tranny problem yet at 130k. I think the 00 tranny issue is overrated and less frequent than the hype would indicate.

2005 LX CPO Fair price

Hi Gang,
My first post here; hoping to join the club soon. I'm looking for at 2005 CPO LX470 with about 39k miles (with Mark Levinson, but no rear seat DVD.) Do you guys have any advice on what would be a good price? They are asking $37.5, but not sure what I should be targeting. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Looks like that one sold already... so I'm left with wondering what folks think about the CPO deal that might still be possible. Based on the comparison, the $37.5 for the CPO LX feels high, but would be interested in hearing what folks think would be the "right" price (I know it depends on condition, but at least a ball park would be very helpful!)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom