Buying a 84 land cruiser--need advice! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there...new to the group.

Looking to buy a 94 Land Cruiser with 274,xxx miles. Second owner, has owned it for 20years. Solid. Runs strong, really well maintained. Check engine light is on. What do I need to be looking for in terms of known problems with these years?

Any insight is helpful.
Thanks!!!

As Retrofive pointed out, the 94 is not an OBD2 truck, but if you look on Craig's list you can find an old Snap On MT2500 code scanner for cheap, with it you'll be able to read all your trucks trouble codes plus ALOT MORE. I own a 94 LC, and use a MT2500 on my truck, it will read all engine codes, trans codes, and ABS codes. Here's a link to a Cruiser web site that lists some items to look for before you buy your truck. ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80FAQ

If it's solid and has been well maintained, the only thing I can think of is to check to see the last time the steering knuckle grease and associated seals were replaced as this is a bit of work and get expensive if you have a shop perform it. Also, the head gasket can be a problem area, and again cost to replace will be high. There is also a small piece of coolant hose under the intake manifold that should be replaced if it hasn't. It is very difficult to get at and is known as the Pesky Heater Hose (PHH). Rest of the stuff would apply to any other vehicle, unless it has front and rear lockers. If it has those, you have hit the jackpot, but still check to make sure they work.

As Retrofive pointed out, the 94 is not an OBD2 truck, but if you look on Craig's list you can find an old Snap On MT2500 code scanner for cheap, with it you'll be able to read all your trucks trouble codes plus ALOT MORE. I own a 94 LC, and use a MT2500 on my truck, it will read all engine codes, trans codes, and ABS codes. Here's a link to a Cruiser web site that lists some items to look for before you buy your truck. ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80FAQ[/QUOTE

Wow, that site hasn't been updated in almost 10 years. Funny that he refers back to ih8mud.

Last edited:
If it's solid and has been well maintained, the only thing I can think of is to check to see the last time the steering knuckle grease and associated seals were replaced as this is a bit of work and get expensive if you have a shop perform it. Also, the head gasket can be a problem area, and again cost to replace will be high. There is also a small piece of coolant hose under the intake manifold that should be replaced if it hasn't. It is very difficult to get at and is known as the Pesky Heater Hose (PHH). Rest of the stuff would apply to any other vehicle, unless it has front and rear lockers. If it has those, you have hit the jackpot, but still check to make sure they work.

Wow, that site hasn't been updated in almost 10 years. Funny that he refers back to ih8mud.
Thanks Canman--I know for a fact the knuckle grease/seals have been done...not sure on the head gasket.

Should I be concerned about 270k+ on the drive train? Or are these built pretty strong? Thanks!

As Retrofive pointed out, the 94 is not an OBD2 truck, but if you look on Craig's list you can find an old Snap On MT2500 code scanner for cheap, with it you'll be able to read all your trucks trouble codes plus ALOT MORE. I own a 94 LC, and use a MT2500 on my truck, it will read all engine codes, trans codes, and ABS codes. Here's a link to a Cruiser web site that lists some items to look for before you buy your truck. ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80FAQ
Thanks! Helpful info

I don't think 270K miles is a big deal if it has been properly maintained. A buddy has one with over 300K miles he brought back from brother who lived in Oklahoma. The thing still looks almost new. The valve stem seals may start toniest, and valve lash should be checked and adjusted, but I haven't heard of too many doing that. I saw a post recently from @scottryana mentionning that the first rebuild should be done at about this mileage, but when I had my head gasket replaced, the cylinders looked new, so I will just keep driving, but I only have 190K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom