Builds building a landcruiser for overland expedition (3 Viewers)

Should we paint Nulla’s camper cab blue?

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today we installed the heavy-duty clutch, cleaned and sanded the engine compartment for painting.

The 2H has been sold.

Tomorrow we vote for Obama!!!!

What kind of clutch did you fit?

heavy duty clutch

What kind of clutch did you fit?

Bought it from Australia, here is the picture of the clutch you maybe familiar with it.

also because of yours and other suggestions i am not installing the intercooler at this time. i don't remember anyone on this forum that have done it on a 12ht, i am still interested on other experience about this, pls send me your comments, links and pictures, thanks.:bounce::bounce2:
safary clutch.jpg

Bought it from Australia, here is the picture of the clutch you maybe familiar with it.

also because of yours and other suggestions i am not installing the intercooler at this time. i don't remember anyone on this forum that have done it on a 12ht, i am still interested on other experience about this, pls send me your comments, links and pictures, thanks.:bounce::bounce2:

I think it is the same Exedy Sports Tuff clutch as I have but they have changed the color of the box from pink to yellow .
Im sure you will be impressed once your leg muscle get bigger:D

How many passengers are you taking?

I think it is the same Exedy Sports Tuff clutch as I have but they have changed the color of the box from pink to yellow .
Im sure you will be impressed once your leg muscle get bigger:D

How many passengers are you taking?

i know i am probably overbuilding, but i do have a heavy rig, beside i need a bigger leg muscle :bounce::bounce2:

i know i am probably overbuilding, but i do have a heavy rig, beside i need a bigger leg muscle :bounce::bounce2:

You are not overbuilding it with a good clutch like that. The last thing you want in a tight spot is a burning clutch.

Day 5 and 6

We painted the firewall with marine grade paint, then after much research we decided on Second Skin for sound proofing and insulation. Thanks to Don Sambrook from Sound Deadener showdown Sound Deadener Showdown for leading us to Second Skin after reading Sound Deadener. Here is the product that we used Damplifier Pro then four coats of Firewall over Damplifier Pro. Here is the link to Second Skin Damplifier Pro - Acoustic Vibration Dampening Mat we want to give a shout out to Anthony from Second Skin for all his help and advices.

Tomorrow we begin the installation of the 12ht engine, enjoy .:bounce::bounce2:
paintes.jpg
foil.jpg
firewall.jpg

The 12HT isnt a noisy engine but the soundproofing will be nice on those long flat plains;)

after market gages

we are looking for suggestion on after market gages to use for our build. for a start here is what we would need, we are trying to go with the same line of manufacturer. here are the gages we looking to put it, turbo boost and pyro, tachometer, amp, fuel, speedometer etc.... thanks:bounce::bounce2:

Day 7 of engine conversion

Day 7

We are excited to have set the 12 HT in the engine bay. All the engine mounts seems to bolt in except the right front mount. I am told by Edy that it is an easy fix. We are having fun here at Edy’s Auto. Below are pictures of Edy and Luis the “Los Abuelitos” (two old man).

Tomorrow we continue on the engine installation:bounce::bounce2:
fork lift.jpg
12ht.jpg
los abuelitos.jpg

Awesom!

Glad we can be part of your project!

ANT

We painted the firewall with marine grade paint, then after much research we decided on Second Skin for sound proofing and insulation. Thanks to Don Sambrook from Sound Deadener showdown Sound Deadener Showdown for leading us to Second Skin after reading Sound Deadener. Here is the product that we used Damplifier Pro then four coats of Firewall over Damplifier Pro. Here is the link to Second Skin Damplifier Pro - Acoustic Vibration Dampening Mat we want to give a shout out to Anthony from Second Skin for all his help and advices.

Tomorrow we begin the installation of the 12ht engine, enjoy .:bounce::bounce2:

wheel spacers

i did some searching but i could not find a posting on wheel spacers. are they safe? how much strain on the bearing?

been out of town when we get back we should be ready to fire up the 12ht.

i did some searching but i could not find a posting on wheel spacers. are they safe? how much strain on the bearing?

been out of town when we get back we should be ready to fire up the 12ht.

I have 2" spacers on my fj60, they seem to be holding up fine. I have put a few thousand miles on them but when i put them on i did rebuild my whole front end wheel bearings and knuckle bearings. Some people say they won't give you trouble and some people will tell you to avoid them.

Do you need them?

I've heard lots of people say they're a bad idea... and I've hit a lot of surprise speedbumps and such heavily loaded with fuel and gear and been really glad at how strong and "landcruiser" everything is down there. It's surprising how easy it is to get air on a regular basis when you're traveling in a country where they don't paint the speedbumps... just one of those things I take for granted back home. If you install spacers and have some damage as a result you could be feeling really dumb... on the side of the road... somewhere remote...

Just my $.02 :)

35" diameter tire

is there a tire that is 35" in diameter and 10" wide on a 15" or a 16" diameter wheels (prefer 16") either All terrain or Mud terrain?

my other option is to replace my tires. i currently have goodyear 35" diameter and 12" wide. i like the 35" diameter but narrower tires.... happy thankgiving....:bounce::bounce2:

is there a tire that is 35" in diameter and 10" wide on a 15" or a 16" diameter wheels (prefer 16") either All terrain or Mud terrain?

my other option is to replace my tires. i currently have goodyear 35" diameter and 12" wide. i like the 35" diameter but narrower tires.... happy thankgiving....:bounce::bounce2:

If you are going to remote areas,anything but a light truck tyre maybe difficult to replace

Hey rideglobally,
nice truck! J4 with 12-HT is a very nice set up!:cheers:

How big you plan the accsess from cab to cabin? If you want to use the whole width between the round corner windows of the cab, you will need some kind of rubber awning, working like a concertinia to seal the accsess and to provide sufficient space for the walls to move offroad.
If you plan a smaller accsess, you have to close the window in the cabs back, weld a frame around the opening wich needs to be matching and parallel with the opening in the cabin in order to use the rubber-seal and profil as shown in the other thread.
A friend uses this rubberprofil for his HDJ79 cabin, works fine...

Depending where you go, 35" or 315/75R16 is common. 7.5R16 even more of course, but I think they don´t perform sufficiently on a heavy truck...
Alternativley go for 255/100, they are fantastic on dirt road, rocks etc but lack performence in the dunes...You will get them in most third world contries easier then 315, even though for easy replacement 7.5 would be the best choice

Hey rideglobally,
nice truck! J4 with 12-HT is a very nice set up!:cheers:

How big you plan the accsess from cab to cabin? If you want to use the whole width between the round corner windows of the cab, you will need some kind of rubber awning, working like a concertinia to seal the accsess and to provide sufficient space for the walls to move offroad.
If you plan a smaller accsess, you have to close the window in the cabs back, weld a frame around the opening wich needs to be matching and parallel with the opening in the cabin in order to use the rubber-seal and profil as shown in the other thread.
A friend uses this rubberprofil for his HDJ79 cabin, works fine...

Depending where you go, 35" or 315/75R16 is common. 7.5R16 even more of course, but I think they don´t perform sufficiently on a heavy truck...
Alternativley go for 255/100, they are fantastic on dirt road, rocks etc but lack performence in the dunes...You will get them in most third world contries easier then 315, even though for easy replacement 7.5 would be the best choice
thanks soenke, i plan to open the back to the point where that panel that is part of the window is welded, that is much bigger than the window (will post pictures of that later).
your ideas about the tire are very useful, i currently have a 35" diameter tire on 15" wheels. however they are about 1.5" too wide, this limits my turn ratios. i want to stay with 35" but narrower about 10" wide. the 315x75R16 is available in the US, the 255/100R16 may not be available in the US. the other possibility is a 285/75R16 they are 33" in diameter.
my last option (not preffered) will be 1.25' spacers on the front wheels, .:bounce::bounce2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom