Builds BoltRipper's 2-year Overdue Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump.

Had a chance to spend time with John yesterday and see and drive this beauty.

This is, by far, the nicest 80 I have ever seen. Not in terms of useless doo-dads, and "expedition" junk installed.

It is nearly perfect. Everything has a reason and a place and a use. Everything is functional and has utility--as it should be.

I'm proud to have been a small part of this great Land Cruiser.

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

Last edited:
This is truly an outstanding Land Cruiser, well done. It's amazing what you can do when you have time, money and motivation.

A goal, very true.

Bump.

Had a chance to spend time with John yesterday and see and drive this beauty.

This is, by far, the nicest 80 I have ever seen. Not in terms of useless doo-dads, and "expedition" junk installed.

It is nearly perfect. Everything has a reason and a place and a use. Everything is functional and has utility--as it should be.

I'm proud to have been a small part of this great Land Cruiser.

View attachment 1197415

View attachment 1197416

Onur - @beno

Thanks for taking the time to come over and visit, talk cruisers and give the truck a good once over with your discerning eye. Looking forward to starting to upgrade/replace the small things that will continue to keep this truck rolling for many years to come as well as improve her overall condition.

Your involvement in its transformation was no small part. You knowledge and expertise was paramount in the decisions made that truly made this build what it is today. Thank you for all the work and time you have provided me with...

J

Last edited:
Amazing Cruiser!

With your attention to Detail I thought you must be Japanese, but either way I'm bowing to this project.

You literally know that truck inside and out.

No Reason you should not get an Honorary Doctorate of LC from Toyota. At least start signing everything John LC

Only seems appropriate that you should now drop an LS2 into a 40.

This must be a distant cousin?:

I have no words that could do this build thread any justice. Your attention to detail is fantastic, and I could only dream of having your mechanical abilities. Your Cruiser is truly one of a kind and the thread will surely help others in their endeavors!! Cheers to a long life with that beauty!!

Amazing Cruiser!

With your attention to Detail I thought you must be Japanese, but either way I'm bowing to this project.

You literally know that truck inside and out.

No Reason you should not get an Honorary Doctorate of LC from Toyota. At least start signing everything John LC

Only seems appropriate that you should now drop an LS2 into a 40.

This must be a distant cousin?:

Hornd,

Open forums are just that, open. I knew that it was only a matter of time as I tried to keep this thread to document my progress and also provide educational content for others.

Your post does neither. :cheers: to you.

Last edited:
May I ask what model sub and amp you used? Are you happy with the bass it produces? I am about to order a sub and amp and do this project as i just got my Wholehog bracket.
Thanks!
Interior Projects Continued:

So at this point I have run my second battery power and ground to the rear of the vehicle. As seen in previous posts I fabricated a bracket that will hold power distribution posts that will send dedicated power to a 12V Blue Sea Box, Wagan 400W Pure Sine Wave Inverter and new Sub.

Here is the Power Distribution Posts and 12V Blue Sea Box:

19F88E1B-AD33-4B27-BBDD-254516CF0054_zps1lz3z4wh.jpg

Using a Whole Hog Sub Mount I had just enough room for the Kenwoood Excelon Amp and Wagan Inverter. On the back of the Sub Mount I have 2-Dedicated 30amp relays that will power my Inverter and also Back-Up / Task Light that will be described later.

9180FE10-D884-41CE-9E99-9DFB38B9DA4C_zpsu7pco7t7.jpg

The next photo shows the Short Run 10G wires for the ARB Fridge (You can see the Yellow Angle Connectors in the pic) and the smaller wires from the Blue Sea that feed all the USB Power in the vehicle.

E1382870-E54D-4218-8419-292947D711C8_zpsjfvodn53.jpg

The Wagan Inverter send 120V power to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the vehicle:

FRONT 120V / USB:

E4120D77-7F48-42E9-A717-79C829FD14CE_zpsbvqcaqtg.jpg

Rear 120V / ARB 12V and USB Power:

1EE3D922-F642-4FFF-89E4-66F9D3A0186B_zpsmgr5a7gh.jpg

I'll detail the individual installations a bit later in the build thread...

Thanks -

Brian -

I believe the Sub is a Kicker 40CW Shallow Mount and the AMP is a Kenwood Excelon X500 I believe.

I'm not an audiophile, but the sound is so much better than the stock system, but I guess anything would be,, I buy them again if needed.....

Hope that helps -

J

Gotcha, I've replaced the head unit and the door speakers with Rockford Fosgate which made a HUGE difference in sound, but would like a little more bass and that bracket that whole hog makes looks so clean and well done, I just couldn't help myself.
Brian -

I believe the Sub is a Kicker 40CW Shallow Mount and the AMP is a Kenwood Excelon X500 I believe.

I'm not an audiophile, but the sound is so much better than the stock system, but I guess anything would be,, I buy them again if needed.....

Hope that helps -

J

Boltripper-

As everyone has said, this is an amazing build. I appreciate your detailed planning and clean execution.

When you added such a large amount of circuits in the auxiliary fuse block did you require/install a new switch panel of any kind or are your circuits primarily terminating at the USB ports etc?

Your preventative maintenance takes the cake, I've never seen so many parts replaced to base-line a vehicle. You do know TOYOTA is known for long lasting reliability correct!? Kidding, I enjoyed this thread tremendously.

This thread reminds me how I feel privileged to have both Slee and Robbie as our "local" cruiser guys! Now if we could get Beno to move to Denver!

Looking forward to your 200 build up next!

Boltripper-

When you added such a large amount of circuits in the auxiliary fuse block did you require/install a new switch panel of any kind or are your circuits primarily terminating at the USB ports etc?

Drew -

Thanks for the comments...

I added a Blue Sea Fuse Panel - This panel is fed off the secondary battery and feeds the USB Ports, Inverter, LED Task Lighting and Fridge Circuit.

Hope this helps -

63865656-0B8F-4FEF-A194-2A5A00A40B74_zpsszkvgfrm.jpg

x2 on the Bluesea, it's great stuff.

I used a safety hub 150 which provides four 30A-200A MIDI/AMI, which I use for my 3 amps and inverter and six 1A-30A ATO/ATC which are all plumbed with 20's for USB and cig outlets.

This is my bracket setup for my MegaFuse that protects the blue sea. I had not installed the + from the secondary battery yet when this picture was taken.

611B53BE-6180-4437-B572-2E6DEF84197B_zpsjdpxsi3h.jpg

This will give you a better shot of the setup

E1382870-E54D-4218-8419-292947D711C8_zpsjfvodn53.jpg

This is insane! "Oh jealousy...!" I'm literally going through my head trying to see which ones of these upgrades I could do next... I'm hooked. I can't stop scrolling..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom