Builds BoltRipper's 2-year Overdue Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I had this thread book marked, I have been waiting on that update.
Very, very, very nice.

Oh, the things money will buy...

Seriously though. Congratulations! I will bet that you are so happy to have this back and be driving it after all of the thought, time, and money you have invested into it. It really paid off. Keep it up.

That is correct - 4.56

This was Christo's recommendation after we spoke about my driving habits and location. Christo also went with 4.56 in his 2UZFE and said it was perfect...

My decision was based on that I daily drive my 80 and 95% is all highway for around 15,000 miles a year. Add a few 15-20hr highway trips out West each year and you can see why I wanted to be in the sweet spot RPM wise. The new power of the 2UZ makes up for any gear lack while offroad.

My truck rolls with more torque and power fully loaded with gears, armor, lift than my wife's 100 Series and is not over-geared on the highway doing 75-80 rpm...

Christo's advice was spot on....

Hope this helps -

J
Glad to read that... I was going to go 4.88:1 on 35's !

Glad to read that... I was going to go 4.88:1 on 35's !

And perhaps you should.. Remember I'm running 34's with almost all of my driving being highway.

If you are running 35's on the stock motor you might like the 4.88 -

The 4.56 with the 4.7L V8 was done to put me back to the feel of the stock 100 Series V8 setup even with all my extra weight. Its perfect for me, but you might want to try and drive someones 4.88 / 35 combo to see if its something you like.

Good luck,

J

Wanted to get my rear pinion angle correct, so I decided to sleeve the rear upper control arms and lengthen them...

844A3471-2162-4F3F-8174-72EF58980C92_zpsyn5fqxaj.jpg

66D019CC-37C7-4EB2-9BC4-7D1ACA7CD1BB_zpslblvu4ce.jpg

AF7E28AB-A42F-4B0C-B33D-9005EAE2FF30_zpsnquu3pw6.jpg

E1957B67-18E1-40F6-9D3E-7AE1C81C9383_zpszskzcxxy.jpg

A1C1B45B-3741-4087-A5F7-5D56D64CFE32_zpsqpw16hmr.jpg

Perfect pinion angle now and my bit of noise in the rear is now gone....

:cheers:

Today I installed my Icom 5100... I've been using it for months as a base station and finally got it in the rig...

Utilized my Jotto Desk mount and a ram clamp..

D76035B1-C84B-4EFF-88F6-458BC435B1F7_zps6xdwvkr0.jpg

3CDE7DB5-1240-4D81-8695-B030A1735A0E_zps1gdlpmrb.jpg

Used a Comet Mount along with a 16" Dual Band antenna for around town, but will run a larger whip when traveling.

85A6F80B-1EB0-481A-8168-97C749927157_zpsavreykq2.jpg

You have built a wonderful, extraordinary piece of engineering. I am almost sure there is no other vehicle like yours. And that is a great personal achievement. Nil satis nisi optimum... Congratulations for you and your family.

I gotta just take the hit and get the front husky's, love the rear. Have been using camelcamelcamel to grab a front set off Amazon for sub $70 but everytime I get the notification it's in the middle of the night, dam algo's....

Well its been just about a month now and I wanted to get some seat time before giving the rest of the goods. The swap is, well just amazing. Its been a long road, but all the work, planning and dreaming paid off.

As most of you know this is a big step. If you are looking for Horsepower / $ spent this isn't it. You'll need to throw in a 6.2L Chevy for that....What this is, is making a truck that I enjoyed so much in its original form other than the power factor and turning it into exactly what I wanted. TOYOTA done well and done right.

I also wanted this journey to be completed by who I consider the best in this business @sleeoffroad ... Joe is frankly a master at knowing what someone wants and making it happen. Skills? Man Joe has some mad skills and is a master at his craft... Christo, well he is in every way a consummate professional. Blending business with personal attention to detail and not stopping until everything is perfect.

If not for Christo and his team, the end product would never have turned out as great as it did. As a guy that has completed many 6.2L swaps into JK's I'm a stickler for detail and execution and that's exactly what I got at Slee.......

The fun didn't start at Slee though... It started with a great friend and confidant that helped me throughout the entire process. Onur or Beno as many know him @beno provided that personal Toyota and educated insight so that hindsight would not detract from the final product. What was decided is that undertaking this type of project and respective cost should not be done with a takeout motor and other used components. Too many unknowns there that go against my goal of Reliability in a powertrain swap.

So with this in mind Onur sourced a new 2UZFE short block from Japan, Coil Packs, Alternator, AC Compressor, Fuel Pressure Regulator and starter to utilize rather than the components from the take out donor. I had Christo send the Injectors to Witch Hunter Performance for cleaning and flow matching and the heads were sent out and completely rebuilt with all new OEM components. With this undertaken up front and the new components that Christo provides like MAF and Throttle Body along with another 4 pages of new OEM parts, I had a basically new, zero Mile 2UZFE.. While I love maintaining my Toyotas all I really have to do with this one is oil changes for the next 100,000 miles...

All I want to say is that the Slee Offroad and Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting experience is second to none. Priceless in my opinion and had it not been for the hard and dedicated work that Joe, Christo and Onur did over the last several months, my experience would have been much different. Thank you, all of you for all the work on my project. It is and will always be very much appreciated.

So, just a few completed shots of the swap - Top side anyway:

8F5944C7-ABD1-4E1F-B466-6AB12E68F315_zpsxtavlian.jpg

632A11C5-A6F8-4314-BDF3-F237E2427CD4_zpsum4oqjdr.jpg

6A63B0F6-225F-404C-996E-D3110E38F1D4_zpsqic1vwwl.jpg

AF2D2103-FA39-4BD3-8FBE-F0CA0539B8F2_zpshmjhhssp.jpg

And enjoy a small video of the truck..

Just amazing!!! An incredible build and the envy of IH8MUD!

By far the best 80 series thread I have ever skimmed! Wish I had the time and patience you do.

Citadel, "Envy", might be too strong of a Word! You (and other members) have wonderful Land Cruisers too! That is the great thing about this community. Diversity my Friend!

Nice!....so what was the final price to do this engine swap?

Give Christo at Slee a call. Conversions start at $25K, but I know some things were changing so cost will be different. Mine was much higher due to completing it with a new engine. I also had them regear it as well.

I will tell you that my 2 best times of the day are the drive to work and the drive home. It has been fantastic.

Good luck -

John~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom