BJ40 '79 restoration, alu teseven body & 1HD-T swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just now seeing this thread, subscribing immediately. Looking forwards to more badass metal work. Awesome.

How are you going to be re-attaching the crossmembers you removed? Welding, bolts, rivets?

Good to hear you are excited :). I will be using flathead allen m10 10.9 bolts. Today i start prepping everything to have it mediablasted. I will put it in epoxy primer and then an industrial grade satin black finish.

Sorry for not posting in between updates. Ive spent a couple of weekends on it and today it was back on its own wheels and engine is in. What ive done is had the frame blasted and stripped to bare metal. The wheels and some other bits and pieces. Aprayed averthing in 2k epoxy primer and finished it of in a satin 2k industrial coating. Then assembled the frame with and welded the beam to the side supports. Sprayed the wheels in the same satin black. Mounted the hj60 ps housing. Fitted a fullfloat rear axle with discbrakes. Front and rear Arb lockers and dropped in the 1hdt with h55f gb. So some photos. Next couple of weeks ill move to body work.

IMG_5420.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

Nice! Looks good Jef!

Update time!
Mounted the body on the chassis and installed all bits to see what i got and how it alignes. Scored NOS doors, new oem fenders and mounted the hardtop. It all fits nice on the body. However i choose the early body style because i wanted the tank in the car. It lacks however the gutter for the weatherstrip at the ambulance doors. So will need to weld one in myself.

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5479.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

Ive scored some awesome fold up seats from a land rover defender for the rear. Still need to fab a mount for it but i think they will fit the car.

The hardtop i started on yesterday and it is in really bad shape. Ive searched for a decent one but without any luck. So i started it tearing it apart. It is repairable but it will require lots and lots of work in steel. Im noe doubting my approach to repair it and start a new side from aluminium. So still on the fence with that one. It certainly let all the air out of my tired yesterday when i spend a day at that side and coming to the conclusion that it is also very corroded between the seems. So it looks ok when blasetd bu then you drrill the spotwelds and take it apart it is still very corroded.

IMG_5619.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

IMG_5628.JPG

just saw this thread ... great build ... always nice to see an artist at work ... that frame looks better than it did at the Toyota factory ...
:cheers:

I love where this is going. Merry Christmas too, btw!

I have not seen a frame bolted back together. I'm no frame guy or anything past a shade-tree mechanic, but won't those bolts lose torque eventually?

Thanks all, and happy holdidays to you to!
The frame bolts will need to be tightened with regulkar interval when i start using the car. I've sprayed the 2 halves before assembly with Tectyl ML coating. Then i installed and tightened the bolts. This will prevent any rust to for between the frame bits.

The teseven tub is nice. I like it a lot, there are a few things i'm modifing though. But thats just my personal taste and finish style. All components fit nicely on the car. So no fitment issues other then the rear doors. But that was my own mistake when ordering the early body style. Not on any account of Fabian.

I've spent the christmas days thinking about the top and decided to fabriucated tyhe hardtop sides from aluminium. I've came to terms that this will be a lot of unexpected work and that i defeniotely will not be driving this summer :(. Anyway it will be a solid car for the next 30 odd year!

Looking good Jeff!
Oh and happy birthday ;)

The body still needs to be painted. I will work my way to that in the upcoming weeks.
The rear seats have a new pivoting arm system that allows them to fold up. They are from a defender.

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6315.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom