BJ40 '79 restoration, alu teseven body & 1HD-T swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys. The cruiser bug certainly got under my skin. Planning, planning, buying bulding, etc.
The 7 P rule I live by applies here. Proper planning and preperation prevents poor piss performance. :p
I'm really looking forward to the first roadtrips with my son. Should happen next year somewhere.

Currently a few items have been progressed on. 1hd-T mounted to H55f gearbox. Found the correct bellhousing after 2 attempts.. :S, and used the 1HDt pressure plate with 1HZ clutch plate. However the 1 HZ plate is slightly smaller in diameter. So less surface area and some material running outside the perimiter of the flywheel contact surface. Wich is not good. Maybe someone can advise on this matter? Is there another clutch plate that uses the same diameter as an 1HDt plate but with the correct splines?

After that I went to prep the bj40 chassis to fab up some mounts. However I encountered quite some rust there. So i sourced a frame that should be rustfree so i can use section of that.
Also I've sourced ff rearaxle with diskbrakes, front and rear ARB's with compressor. Not my initial planned setup because i wanted mech lockoers but we'll see how this works...
So far so good :)

IMG_4604.JPG

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4609.JPG

Aight man.

Well the post turned up today with a package full of rubber goodness from Roger! Thanks for the quick shipping :). All rubbers for hardtop and doors, windowframe.
Next month I'm collecting the aluminium body in france. Exciting to have all components lined up and ready to test fit.

Doors and roof steel bit will still require major bodywork fabrication from my end. Oh well. To be continued

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4819.JPG

Would you be willing to share your Solidworks files? I am in the process of planning a restoration on my 11/69 FJ40 and have access to a waterjet and brake. Cutting new pieces out of Aluminum or Stainless Steel would be very nice

Small update here. I've collected parts past weeks to prepare for the rough assembly. I've scored these items from the list:
Front axle discs and ARB locker
Reard axle discs and ARB ARB locker
ARB compressor and hardware
Donor chassis
Doors OEM NOS. Very rare :)
Grille, window and frame in good condition
New oem front fenders
Servive parts for the 1HDT.
Next week i'll be collecting the body from France in aluminium. After that i can assemble all components to make sure they fit.
Slowly but steady the list of bits is ticked off.

Would you be willing to share your Solidworks files? I am in the process of planning a restoration on my 11/69 FJ40 and have access to a waterjet and brake. Cutting new pieces out of Aluminum or Stainless Steel would be very nice
I've sourced genuine parts, it saves me heaps of time fabricating this. So I havent finished up my SW drawings.

from an old post
"FYI: The clutch plate is to fit a 1991-97 Isuzu NPR truck with a 4BD1 or 4BD2 3.9L Turbo diesel. Daikin Clutch number ISD134, Isuzu part number 8-94462-789-3."

300mm Isuzu 21 spline clutch disk to be used with factory hdt 300mm flywheel and hdt pressure plate

and cruiserparts has found
Aisin DG-322 which should be same at ISD134

Last edited:
In just 2 weeks I will collect the tub from france. Looking forward to it. In the meantime I received some pics. This is what it looks like. There are some things pretty rough for my liking, but I will take a closer look at it in my own workshop how i can tidy things up.
I'm confident enough to say I know my way around aluminium, thats why I choose for an aluminium body. Stainless steel is something I work a lot with and personally I don't like it as a foundation for a body. Shaping is really tough and when welding it it really pulls and distorts in all directions. Weights and cracking due to torsion can be an issue on the longrun with thin stainless but not a deal breaker tough.

The BMW in the photos is my last project I built btw. RnineT designed and built by myself. All in 1,5 mm aluminium. For more info check my website highoctane.nl
Cheers guys

13920068_1166881440037967_8627292407172739855_o.jpg

HpnineT_highoctane_jeffry_sol_rear.jpg

HpnineT_highoctane_jeffry_sol.jpg

Wow, dude you got skills my friend.

What are your thoughts on the Teseven tub? I have a 79 bj40 project that I would like a new tub for.

Wow, dude you got skills my friend.

What are your thoughts on the Teseven tub? I have a 79 bj40 project that I would like a new tub for.

Just got back from a holiday to france with the family, and collected the tub from Fabian in the south of France.
My first impression is good. There is a lot of thought in the design and execution. However, knowing he has a "production line" fabricating these things and has to compromise between speed an quality. At some aspects I can clearly see that. For me now not a big issue because i will fix it myself. But for the price you pay it could be a point for discussion. I've created similar projects with the same approach so I kinda know how this stuff works (3d CAD to aluminium fabrication sheet metal). I choose specifically to buy it from fabian because i just dont have the time at hand to build it myself cuurently. :( Next year I want top take the car on a travel trip with my family, so time is essence.

I'm really pleased he could build me one in aluminium as I understand he doens't do them in aluminium anymore for clients, only for his own builds. Only stainless steel, and that is definitely not an option for me.
Key next step would be fitment though. Saturday I start assembling in rough to see how everything lines up.
- Tub on frame
- fenders, hood and fairings on frame/ub
- Roof on tub,
- 1HDT Engine and gearbox on frame

Cheers!

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

Just got back from a holiday to france with the family, and collected the tub from Fabian in the south of France.
My first impression is good. There is a lot of thought in the design and execution. However, knowing he has a "production line" fabricating these things and has to compromise between speed an quality. At some aspects I can clearly see that. For me now not a big issue because i will fix it myself. But for the price you pay it could be a point for discussion. I've created similar projects with the same approach so I kinda know how this stuff works (3d CAD to aluminium fabrication sheet metal). I choose specifically to buy it from fabian because i just dont have the time at hand to build it myself cuurently. :( Next year I want top take the car on a travel trip with my family, so time is essence.

I'm really pleased he could build me one in aluminium as I understand he doens't do them in aluminium anymore for clients, only for his own builds. Only stainless steel, and that is definitely not an option for me.
Key next step would be fitment though. Saturday I start assembling in rough to see how everything lines up.
- Tub on frame
- fenders, hood and fairings on frame/ub
- Roof on tub,
- 1HDT Engine and gearbox on frame

Cheers!

View attachment 1313865

View attachment 1313866

View attachment 1313867
Thanks, keep us posted! I'm just a week or two away from deciding which direction I want to go.
Looks nice!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi, an update on the build. Engine is on new mounts, relocted and changed the original gb mount. Mounted a 60 series power steering on the chassis and fully stripped the chassis and removed the rivets. Next up it will be sandblasted after i cleaned up my welds and checked all the mounts.

Just now seeing this thread, subscribing immediately. Looking forwards to more badass metal work. Awesome.

How are you going to be re-attaching the crossmembers you removed? Welding, bolts, rivets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom