Builds Big Red Toy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I pick it up this evening. I swung by to see the progress. It was in the middle of getting an oil change. Discussed possible ways to get more power out of the 4bt. Then I saw this big turbo that's going on a 6.7 Cummins that's reportedly producing nearly 875hp at the rear wheel.

I should have had a Coke can or something for scale.
20160711_101313.jpg

and here's what Big Red's heart currently looks like.

20160711_102711.jpg

We discussed eventually getting a larger billet turbine for the cool side of the turbo. But if that happens it's months down the line. Will be licking my wounds for a while from this housing repair.

More pics to come later.

It's still at the shop. The front bumper isn't on it yet and it still needs some flood lights to be wired. But yes definitely need a bracket on before it comes home.

So I brought Big Red home because it was gonna be another week before the brackets show up. Runs strong, but had to turn the fuel pump down about half way, because I can hit 1400 in 3 seconds with about 27 psi. The power steering pump was rebuilt twice by me and once by the mechanic, it's still leaking. So i guess I'll be getting a new one soon. The brackets are being shipped so won't be driving it until they get installed. I decided to drive it with the air box open to see if I can get more air in there. This is what i found.

20160711_204000.jpg

Yup that's two dead birds in there. They had built a nest in the filter. I forgot to take a picture of the nest before I removed the filter. Not sure how long they have been in there. It must have either been when I was in Thailand or in Virginia this year, because I was regularly driving Big Red. Anyway, removing them should help out with my air flow . I just think it's crazy that two birds got in the small openings of the snorkel and made a home for a while.

Down the line I'm thinking of removing the mechanical fan and shroud and installing two electric fans. This would give me some room to work in the front of the engine and can hopefully do a better job at cooling in the engine in summer when the AC is going. Anyone ever use these?
Amazon.com: Derale Performance 16927 Gray/Black High Output Dual Radiator Fan: Automotive

The money pit never stops devouring my pay checks.

Last edited:
I'm telling you man, try not to drive it at all till you get those brackets in, or else you'll be paying to have another timing housing put in.

Either way, glad it's back up!

I'm telling you man, try not to drive it at all till you get those brackets in, or else you'll be paying to have another timing housing put in.

Either way, glad it's back up!

I had to bring it home, I couldn't leave it at his shop any longer. It's not moving from my driveway until brackets are put in. Having said that I pretty much drove it around for nearly 5 years that way without realizing it.

Right, and that's why your timing housing split :)

It'll be worth the wait!!

Since it's on my mind, you're running electric fans right? Are you happy with them, how hot does Moonshine get when you have the AC running in the summer?

I haven't fixed my AC since I broke it in 2009 (long story) so I couldn't tell you. I will say that the temperature never moves unless I'm going up a mountain pass on a highway.

This ridiculously beefy bracket showed up. It better fit, but if it doesn't I'll drill it until it does.

20160714_140911.jpg

20160714_140915.jpg

I also did a poor man's alignment while I was messing with the truck. I decided to try driving it with the airbox cover off to see if there's an air flow issue.
20160714_140954.jpg

I managed to get to 30 psi in 3rd. This whole time I've been starving the engine of oxygen :bang:.

I'll mess with the fuel plate and timing more next week after I install the bracket and fix the steering pump. Now I have to perform an oil change and basic maintenance on the bike and Little Red.

Also the engine purrs like a kitten in idle and roars like a tiger when driving.

I know I'm a broken record man, but you should NOT be driving the truck until that support bracket is installed.

I know I'm a broken record man, but you should NOT be driving the truck until that support bracket is installed.
Johnny, You're right and I knew you'd be the first to respond saying exactly that. I just needed to satisfy my curiosity about the air box I'm not driving it until it's on there.

And thanks for always looking out :beer:.

Down the line I'm thinking of removing the mechanical fan and shroud and installing two electric fans. This would give me some room to work in the front of the engine and can hopefully do a better job at cooling in the engine in summer when the AC is going. Anyone ever use these?
Amazon.com: Derale Performance 16927 Gray/Black High Output Dual Radiator Fan: Automotive

Mike, not sure if the Ford Contour electric fans fits your setup... I am going mechanical fan on my vortec and pulled of the contour dual fans

contour-jpg.202415

It would be really tight if I put this in as a pusher because of the inter cooler. Initial plan is to put this in the shroud as a puller. Just need it for when the AC is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom