Best All Terrain Tires for the 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I came here to say this.

It’s almost impossible for them to have survived this long and had as many loyal fans as they have without being decent at something… For those that say they aren’t up to the demands of snow and ice, I would respectfully disagree. I’ve driven my current 200 on 40k miles or US roadtrips, often departing from the Northeast in the dead of winter to go skiing in the Rockies, camping in Montana or out to the PNW. I’ve never had any problems with the KO2. No flats, no punctures, no uneven wearing and that includes subjecting them to an 8K+ pound LC throughout Moab, the San Juans, and elsewhere.

Are they cutting edge technology? Not in a million years; but they are dependable, sort of like the vehicles we all come here to praise 😜

KO2s were a benchmark in their time. They built upon and superseded the original KO, of which arguably defined the segment. Time and expectations don't stand still. The competitive set has caught up since the 2016 KO2 release. The new kids on the block brought some skills with the benefit of technology. That doesn't make KO2s worse. But make no mistake there are tires that are better in areas and are more well rounded.

Including KO3s that are ready to raise the bar again. They are out in limited release with some sizes. Funny as BFG doesn't yet show them on their own website, unless I'm not seeing it. Tire Rack shows it. The best way to understand where the current tire limitations are, is what they self acknowledge as improvements in the new version.

Following up the wildly-successful All-Terrain T/A KO2, the All-Terrain T/A KO3 has been carefully designed to keep what drivers already love about the previous generation, while delivering outstanding durability, improved wear-life and traction in all weather conditions, even light snow.

All terrain tires are sort of a myth, any tire can be considered an all terrain. Simply put, no tire can excel at all three conditions offroad, winter weather and summer performance. There are always trade offs.

So many people have sets of dedicated winter tires in their garage, why not a set for the other two. That way you can have the best of each.

I personally use my LC 98% of the time on summer roads, with occasional rain. Michelin’s Defender LTX M/S2 is the tire for me.

Pick what you do most and go with that instead of trying to find the that unicorn, there will always be some disappointment.

Reactions: CT3
Last edited:
All terrain tires are sort of a myth, any tire can be considered an all terrain. Simply put, no tire can excel at all three conditions offroad, winter weather and summer performance. There are always trade offs.

So many people have sets of dedicated winter tires in their garage, why not a set for the other two. That way you can have the best of each.

I personally use my LC 98% of the time on summer roads, with occasional rain. Michelin’s Defender LTX M/S2 is the tire for me.

Pick what you do most and go with that instead of trying to find the that unicorn, there will always be some disappointment.

I get what your saying. The way I understand your point - for those that don't truly use their tires in A/T fashion, that any tire might be suitable? Lots and lots of A/T tired vehicles out commuting and mall crawling.

IMO, A/T tires should be performant in all terrains and all conditions. They aren't going to be the pinnacle for every use case, but they should largely be competent and confident. Sure, different brands tailor differently even among A/Ts. But it wasn't that long ago when A/T meant bigger tradeoffs in NVH, while having gaps in performance including cold and snow. Looking at you KO2.

Technology has broadened competencies while minimizing the trade-offs.

In a lot of ways, those same analogies can be said about the 200-series. Including back to the first point that unless one actively uses the 200-series for more severe use cases, any vehicle might do.

At least we'll all be ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Well..

The Nitto Terra Grapper G2 was my favorite AT tire of all time.

Had them on last 3 trucks close to 100k miles on them, combined, in varied terrain and they were perfect for all around use.

Silent on freeway, and aired down to 20psi, they performed amazing offroad for what they were, never issues with sidewalls, tearing or chunking.

Went to order a set for the Egg. And..... Nitto basically discontinued them... #sad

Last edited:
I am due for a set soon on my 2016. Currently have the M/S2… great tire..but I admit to be one that appreciates the look of a more aggressive tire, even if my use case doesn’t require it the vast majority of the time. As a “researcher”, I’ve come back to KO2 time and time again. Previously ran Terra Grapplers, multiple sets of Ridge Grapplers, Bridgestones, and Coopers.

Does anyone have a set of KO3’s ?

Say what you will but KO2s are popular for a reason.
Because they are part of the Tacoma/4Runner broverlander starter pack along with some TRD Pro wheels and orange MaxTrax.

Most of the people I have talked to that have run them as well as other AT's don't love them.

Because they are part of the Tacoma/4Runner broverlander starter pack along with some TRD Pro wheels and orange MaxTrax.

Most of the people I have talked to that have run them as well as other AT's don't love them.

This

Well..

The Nitto Terra Grapper G2 was my favorite AT tire of all time.
Have these on my LC over 40K miles and look to have another 15 to 20K on them. I have them on my T100 also. I am hoping that the Recon will come in LC size in LT load rating by time I need new tires.

Have these on my LC over 40K miles and look to have another 15 to 20K on them. I have them on my T100 also. I am hoping that the Recon will come in LC size in LT load rating by time I need new tires.

Yeah, mine had 50k+ on them including a trip all the way to the Arctic via the Dalton and still had 50% left. Nuts. Super bummed they stopped making them..

Recons look like they’d be a lot louder 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_8281.jpeg

We get tricked every time into having the same conversation over and over about tires 🤣

When is this going to become a sticky

Say what you will but KO2s are popular for a reason.
The flip side of this is they’ve been around forever—since back when they hardly had any competition at all. They’ve been around so long in fact, people consider their look iconic, and let’s be honest: people overwhelmingly buy AT tires for the looks.

BFG AT KO 2, 3, 4, and into infinity. 🤣

LT 285/65R-18 (Load Range E). No objective reason other than I like BFGs on trucks.

As many others have stated they are popular for a reason.

NOTE: It’s like Crest vs Colgate toothpaste—a preference based on experience and preferences. Same goes for Icon, Bilstein, Fox, King, OME, vs OEM suspension, etc…

Last edited:
The flip side of this is they’ve been around forever—since back when they hardly had any competition at all. They’ve been around so long in fact, people consider their look iconic, and let’s be honest: people overwhelmingly buy AT tires for the looks.
But KOs have backed up their claim as being a true AT tire, not a wannabe like many others.

Aggressive tread. One of the (if not THE) strongest sidewall, bar none. Air down capable. Many sizes. LT ONLY. Proven in off-road races.

On the flip side, it is pretty darn capable on the highway. Lasts a long time. Snow rated.

Oh and it looks damn good.

Yup, a class-leading iconic AT indeed.

The only major negative is that it affects fuel economy in a negative way, which is the case for all ATs.

But KOs have backed up their claim as being a true AT tire, not a wannabe like many others.

Aggressive tread. One of the (if not THE) strongest sidewall, bar none. Air down capable. Many sizes. LT ONLY. Proven in off-road races.

On the flip side, it is pretty darn capable on the highway. Lasts a long time. Snow rated.

Oh and it looks damn good.

Yup, a class-leading iconic AT indeed.

The only major negative is that it affects fuel economy in a negative way, which is the case for all ATs.
I think they’re great in dry conditions. But they were absolutely horrible for me on wet pavement. They quickly went from decent to terrifying at around 20k miles. Like lose traction on a turn terrifying. This is not uncommon. Just DuckDuckGo KO2 wet traction…

Their tread pattern is great at trapping snow and ice and getting winter traction, but this is also exactly why they’re awful at clearing thick mud.

Pretty sure those off road races you mention are all in the desert. Again, I agree—that’s where they excel.

At the last link, there is some technical explanation as to why its wet traction sucks after X miles:

The BF Goodrich KO2 has a slightly harder compound where low density of silica is seen in its compositions. The stiffness is also aggravated by its multiple inner ply construction and spirally wrapped nylon (which makes its sidewalls brick-like). Because of this, the ribs on the tire with sipes, don’t have enough flexibility in the wet to clear water from its path. A high performing tire on wet need a lot of siping (interlocking mostly), and softer rubber to let them easily breath[e].

The KO2 although provides full depth sipes, they are not as interlocking like you see on Falken Wildpeak AT3w (review) shoulders for example, and the harder compound does not allows these sipes to expand or contract too easily (which pumps water in and out).

And maybe the reason many people report wet traction going to crap halfway through the tire’s life is due to this:

“The tire actually has 2 different layers of rubber, one on top is a little softer and the one underneath is slightly harder. So once the upper layer starts to wear off, the stiffer rubber underneath produces less tread noise levels.”

Lower tire pressure tends to help with the wet traction problem.

I came here to say this.

It’s almost impossible for them to have survived this long and had as many loyal fans as they have without being decent at something… For those that say they aren’t up to the demands of snow and ice, I would respectfully disagree. I’ve driven my current 200 on 40k miles or US roadtrips, often departing from the Northeast in the dead of winter to go skiing in the Rockies, camping in Montana or out to the PNW. I’ve never had any problems with the KO2. No flats, no punctures, no uneven wearing and that includes subjecting them to an 8K+ pound LC throughout Moab, the San Juans, and elsewhere.

Are they cutting edge technology? Not in a million years; but they are dependable, sort of like the vehicles we all come here to praise 😜
I‘ve been two winters in the US for working and if I need to be honest…. even the best winter tires wouldn’t help the majority of the people you have driving over there. Never saw so many people flying off the street because they just think „I have winter tires on my Wrangler or Pickup so I can drive like in Summ…“ *swoosh* *flying of the highway exit* *many people follow* *me having fun in my rental F150*

Driving my 200 back home here with KO2‘s who have like 90k miles on it and still acting pretty nice in snow, ice and on wet roads. I just need to drive like I have to with a 3t steel ship and everything is fine. With precautions….

So yeah I am absolutely with you.

I still wait for BFG to bring the KO3s to the european market. Good thing is that my size will be pretty sure on the production list bc the new Ranger Raptor was already spottet with 285/70/17 KO3‘s that will fit perfect on my oem steelies.

I think they’re great in dry conditions. But they were absolutely horrible for me on wet pavement. They quickly went from decent to terrifying at around 20k miles. Like lose traction on a turn terrifying. This is not uncommon. Just DuckDuckGo KO2 wet traction…

Their tread pattern is great at trapping snow and ice and getting winter traction, but this is also exactly why they’re awful at clearing thick mud.

Pretty sure those off road races you mention are all in the desert. Again, I agree—that’s where they excel.

At the last link, there is some technical explanation as to why its wet traction sucks after X miles:

The BF Goodrich KO2 has a slightly harder compound where low density of silica is seen in its compositions. The stiffness is also aggravated by its multiple inner ply construction and spirally wrapped nylon (which makes its sidewalls brick-like). Because of this, the ribs on the tire with sipes, don’t have enough flexibility in the wet to clear water from its path. A high performing tire on wet need a lot of siping (interlocking mostly), and softer rubber to let them easily breath[e].

The KO2 although provides full depth sipes, they are not as interlocking like you see on Falken Wildpeak AT3w (review) shoulders for example, and the harder compound does not allows these sipes to expand or contract too easily (which pumps water in and out).

And maybe the reason many people report wet traction going to crap halfway through the tire’s life is due to this:

“The tire actually has 2 different layers of rubber, one on top is a little softer and the one underneath is slightly harder. So once the upper layer starts to wear off, the stiffer rubber underneath produces less tread noise levels.”

Lower tire pressure tends to help with the wet traction problem.
Weird...in 45k miles that I had my KO2, it was fine in the wet and snow. Just drive reasonable. LC/LX is not a sports car.

And that last review seems like from Teckis300! :D

Silica...

From another thread, i actually don’t mind cutting back on Silica compound…….they make tires softer and less tough off-road. So, having lots of silica is great for on-road and performance when tires wear down. But for off-road tires, you actually want less silica (Per article below).

Here is the thread with link to article: Good Article on AT Tires - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/good-article-on-at-tires.1302767/

As for spirally wrapped nylon...that is seen on pretty much all high-end tires.......

Again, KO2 is the premier TRUE all-terrain. Is it as good as Michelin Defender on-road? Of course not. It is as good a true mud-terrain? Of course not.

BUT is it a tire that can stand the abuse of off-road and on-road? YES.

I love the review mentioning WildPeaks AT3. Weak sidewall. Heavier than a ton of brick. Uses cheap materials...and then due to successful marketing, raises price to rob consumers blind...oh yeah, that is the one we should compare KO2 to! :D

And remember CONSUMER reviews suck. Remember how many folks here on this very forum and elsewhere RAVE about the Toyo Open Country AT3?? Remember how many reviews from consumers who got them who said that they were amazing in rain, snow, off-road, on the moon, in space???!! And I remember so many people rag on me for saying that I have my doubts. And then came the REAL 3rd party reviews....AT3 turns out to be an overprice over-hyped tire that is way behind much older tires, such as KO2, Yokohama AT, etc. in pretty any category!! Horrible in rain. Bad in dirt.

Last edited:
I’m always baffled at the split between BFG folks

50% of folks swear their the best thing since sliced bread and 50% swear Satan himself made them.

I have several friends that have had brand new BFGs basically fall apart within 10k and I have several friends that swear by them and won’t use anything else.

Seems BFG has a major quality control issue.

They’re either amazing or trash. Seems like a dice roll.

Tires aren’t something I’m willing to roll dice on.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom