Best 4runner overall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 5th gen is the current model released for the 2010 model year. The Trail Edition is the only one with a rear locker. The Limited Edition is the only one with full-time 4wd, the trail and SR5 are old school part time units. KDSS is Toyota's hydraulic sway bar system. They have been using in the US since I believe around 2003 on various models. ATRAC is their "active traction control system" which they have been using on various models since around 2001.

Thanks you Ssmathis. How does the ATRAC work with the lockers, or it is one or the other. To me, it sounds like the Trail edition is the one to have. I am surprise they don't offer the locker in the Limited, which is their flag ship model. I might end up ordering a new one form them. Would you buy the Trail over the Limited? I was at another dealership Sunday, I notice the limited had these shiny 20" wheels. Crazy. I try to get the dealer to change them back (at no reduction on the price) to a standard 16 or 17" wheel, but that would cost me another 2-3000 bucks (They lost a sale there). They couldn't tell me what size wheels or tires come with the Trail edition. The Limited sure is nice to haul the family around, but to dirty it up up in the hills....I would have think twice. How's that computer 4wd selector instead of the old stick selector? I actually like the old stick. I just might have to wait because there just aren't too many Trail around because we are in the city? If anyone could help me with this, keep em' coming please. Thanks again

Jeff

Can any one speak to how the Crawl Control works on the 5th gen? Does it only control brakes and throttle, or does it also work at the torque converter to lock the tranny?

devo

In 4L, you can engage the rear locker and ATRAC at the same time. This will probably get most people far beyond what they expected without a true rock crawler. I see that you mention 16" wheels but with with the 5th gen, 17" is the smallest you can go because of the front brakes. For the 4WD selector, the SR5 and the Trail are old school lever. Only the Limited is not full-time and it no longer has the option of 2WD like the 4th gen did.

Scott

Thanks you Ssmathis. How does the ATRAC work with the lockers, or it is one or the other. To me, it sounds like the Trail edition is the one to have. I am surprise they don't offer the locker in the Limited, which is their flag ship model. I might end up ordering a new one form them. Would you buy the Trail over the Limited? I was at another dealership Sunday, I notice the limited had these shiny 20" wheels. Crazy. I try to get the dealer to change them back (at no reduction on the price) to a standard 16 or 17" wheel, but that would cost me another 2-3000 bucks (They lost a sale there). They couldn't tell me what size wheels or tires come with the Trail edition. The Limited sure is nice to haul the family around, but to dirty it up up in the hills....I would have think twice. How's that computer 4wd selector instead of the old stick selector? I actually like the old stick. I just might have to wait because there just aren't too many Trail around because we are in the city? If anyone could help me with this, keep em' coming please. Thanks again

Jeff

The locker in the pumpkin is standard in the Trail? I don't understand ATAC. How exactly does it work?

Yes the trail edition has a factory e-locker in the rear pumpkin. ATRAC is Toyota's Active Traction Control which uses the brakes to stop a spinning wheel. ATRAC is supposedly more aggressive than standard traction control.

Scott

2005 4Runner Limited V8 4x4. Cooler body design (before they smoothed out the wheel arches in 06). 5sp trans, Torquey V8 with only a 1mpg loss. Side airbars with an off switch.

I couldn't decide between one of those and the 100. Went with the 100 but can't help think that the 4R might have been better for 90% of what I do.

checking in

Have not pulled the trigger yet.
Trying to get our housing situation finished before we make the plunge.
I love the tailgate function on our 100 series, if we sell it, i will be sad.
I miss most of my toyota 4x4s that i have sold even my 2nd gen xtra cab v6

Well plenty of smarter people have already said more than I can, but I have to say I LOVE my 05 SR5 4Runner! I find the the 100's appealing, but to me the little more space is the only real plus in the 100 vs 4Runner. In fact the larger size of the 100 is a disadvantage for maneuverability. This is just IMHO. :D I've never even had a 100 or an 80, but I've had a 4door Tundra, Taco and now my Funner.

~Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

We had a 2001 3rd gen (last year) that we LOVED until a guy totalled it. Fantastic truck. A little weak on power, but plenty of torque and oh so reliable. Can mod them to incredible proportions too.

Toyota 4Runner History

This site will tell you everything you want to know about 4runners. Personally, I have owned 5 of them....currently I own a 98 (third gen.) it's been a great truck, just like the other 4 were. I'm about to sell my 98 to buy an 05' V8 limited or Sport Edotion. 2005 saw improvements in the V8 which bumped HP up to 270.

There is NO correct answer to this question. It completely depends on what the buyer's needs and demands are.

I've seen my Dad argue over this same topic about "which Land Cruiser is best". No answer there either. A total waste of time and arguing.

You can learn from these threads though. As folks "tell" other folks which "they" "think" is best...one can learn about the differences. This can point the OP to what's best for THEM.

I am looking at buying a 4runner.
I was wondering if it was possible to get unbiased opinion of what members thought was the best 4runner made, based on reliability, capability, durability and frugality.
I have a 3rd gen 2000 with 320,000 miles. Orig tranny an

I have a 3rd gen. 2000 with 320,000 miles. Orig Tranny and motor
image.jpg

Umm this thread hasnt been active in 3 years, but maybe they are still looking for a 3rd gen... :steer:

On the other hand, your truck looks to be in somewhat decent shape with that milage. Good luck!

Anyone heard anything about the 2014 and up wife wants one cus they "look cooler than the older ones" so I was just wondering if anyone had heard any major issues with them I know they are pretty new. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom