Best 4runner overall (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at buying a 4runner.
I was wondering if it was possible to get unbiased opinion of what members thought was the best 4runner made, based on reliability, capability, durability and frugality.

I drive an 80 series LC and I am considering trading it in for a 4Runner. I don't know much about which 4R is better and maybe I shouldn't pipe up here but I don't know how you can beat the 5th gen trail edition.
After looking and driving one at the dealer the other day I don't know what could be better.

devo

This is my first 4runner...although I must admit....I've admired them from afar for many years.

I'm a big guy...so it was a room issue with me, but they made the 5th Gens bigger, and with the Trail Edition, have made some pretty remarkable innovations. Things like a stock rear locker, ATRAC, crawl control, have been nice additions. KDSS is available, but it has to be bundled with the Nav, which is not that nice of feature.

There are a few negitive things, I'm not happy with, like the interior finishes are cheap, and the plastic scratches if you look at it wrong. The springs were pretty spongy, and the nose dive is terrible with hard braking.

If your a mod kind of guy then this is for you. I added a larger battery, a drawer system, made my own steps out of Rocky road sliders, and I'm in the planning stages of a roof rack.

I think you'll like it if you give it test drive. Good luck in your search.

Pat

4th gen V8. Hard to find a better value-for-dollar Toyota platform.

I have a 2nd gen 91 4runner 4 cylinder 22RE,4x4,5 speed.Its good on gas.From what my friends say the 4 cylinder has a higher resale value than the common 6 cylinder.Its my daily commute so far its been pretty solid no issues.If you are getting a 4runner I think its better to get the 4 cylinder. And I also have a 97 FJ80.Both cars I wheel regularly and both are fun to drive.I think its just up to you especially on your budget. Either one I think you will surely enjoy.

The 1985 is really nice for an offroad truck. solid axle 22RE removable hard top 2 door. Great truck. Getting hard to find, though. A nice one can be spendy and thats for a 27 year old truck.

1st gen - 22RE may be the best motor anyone has ever made in terms of reliability. Not great power or mileage. Keep the timing chain tight and it'll last forever. Removable hard top is very cool. Small. Light. great little trucks. 3.0L is very suspect, but I've seen good examples with lots of miles and no problems. The power upgrade is nice.

2nd gen - pretty comfy. More creature comforts than the first gen. 3.0L is a big weak point. four door with no removable top.

3rd gen - getting large and more refined. 3.4L is a great motor. Manuals are very hard to come by and the truck is big enough that a manual isn't as fun as a first gen. some people complain the seats are uncomfortable. I dislike the lack of head room. Big issue seems to be a bad radiator that wrecks an otherwise very good transmission.

4th gen - Too big and refined for me. I'd rather have an 80 or 100. I also hate the way they look. Other than that I don't know a lot about them. 4.7 is a great motor. Timing belt is critical and expensive.

5th gen - back to being a 4Runner. dunno a lot about them. The 4.0L in my FJC is great. No problems at all in 100K good power and reasonable mileage. The electronics make it a way better wheeler than anyone would expect. I'd much rather we had one than the FJC as the major difference is the body, which I like on the Skinner, but hate on the FJ.

This is my first 4runner...although I must admit....I've admired them from afar for many years.

I'm a big guy...so it was a room issue with me, but they made the 5th Gens bigger, and with the Trail Edition, have made some pretty remarkable innovations. Things like a stock rear locker, ATRAC, crawl control, have been nice additions. KDSS is available, but it has to be bundled with the Nav, which is not that nice of feature.

There are a few negitive things, I'm not happy with, like the interior finishes are cheap, and the plastic scratches if you look at it wrong. The springs were pretty spongy, and the nose dive is terrible with hard braking.

If your a mod kind of guy then this is for you. I added a larger battery, a drawer system, made my own steps out of Rocky road sliders, and I'm in the planning stages of a roof rack.

Pat

Not true. I just bought a 2011 4runner trail. It has KDSS and no nav.

I can't say about any other gen of runner, but this one is great! A world of difference from my 06 taco!!

Not true. I just bought a 2011 4runner trail. It has KDSS and no nav.

I can't say about any other gen of runner, but this one is great! A world of difference from my 06 taco!!

In 2010 when I got mine...that was all they offered.

On the 5th gen, Nav with KDSS is regional. I have a 2010 Trail with KDSS and no Nav. In Colorado, you'd be hard pressed to find a Trail Edition with Nav.

Scott

On the 5th gen, Nav with KDSS is regional. I have a 2010 Trail with KDSS and no Nav. In Colorado, you'd be hard pressed to find a Trail Edition with Nav.

Scott

Mine was originally shipped to a dealer in Laramie, WY. So that makes sense. Sounds like I am pretty lucky to have found one here at all.

- 3.4 V6 reliable and ~ 19 mpgs
- rear locker
- best OEM ride height / clearance for 3rd gens (slightly taller than 2000-2002)
- big enough to travel comfortably / small enough to navigate tight trails
- available for ~ $6000

I have to agree with Jacket, best bang for the buck is a late model 3rd generation. Good engine, nice size, decent fuel econonmy, great ground clearance and very reasonably priced.

I say this and I own a 4th generation V8. Car is great, super reliable, tons of power, reasonable fuel economy 19mpg hwy, very comfortable to travel in, and can sleep in the back.

On the other hand it is a bit larger than I would like, has really unacceptable ground clearance for an offroad vehicle, and aftermarket parts are $$$.

Can you tell me which gen is from what year please. I am looking for a 4 runner because my 80 is about to die. A 4 runner has never cross my mind. After looking at Edmon's last night, I am sold because the 04 on trucks are just a few inches smaller then my 80 LC. I had an 85 truck with the lil' 22RE in there. Great truck. I am thinking about an 04-08 V8 due to the additional power. Any suggestion on the V6. the gas mileage is not so different and I believe that are all time 4WD? Diff locker standard? I am liking it more and more, but have never driven one. the additional gas mileage is a huge bonus compare to 11mpg. How do they compare off road to the 80s? The Chevy dealer was on my list of places to stop by tomorrow. Please tell me something is wrong with me.

Jeff

My hind sight tells me what ever you have at the moment is the best. Trade a LC for a 4runnner? Huh? Asuming the LC is paid for just buy a 4runner of choice.

The newest one has electronic magical gizmos.
The first one is basic and beautiful because of just that.
Loved my "97 and never should have got rid of it.
My '04 is too low and has a fat arse, but I'll enjoy it anyway. I like plump butts .....just say'n.

Pat

What's a 5th gen 4Runner? What year? I too have an 80 with many miles and a blown head gasket and leaks in the back window. Walk into the dealer today, the salesman had no idea what I was talking about. when I asked about diff locks. He claims they come with a limit slip rear end on both front and back. This is when I walked. I need some real info on the 4Runner. what the heck is ATRAC and KDSS? Some kind of computer control 4 wheel drive system. That much I know. He told me the difference between the Sports and the SR5 is the hood scope, rims and leather seats. He kept suggesting the SR5 and told me I don't need anything more base on the price. Real F'ing butt head. So, the Trail is the one to get with the standard locker in the rear? The SR5 don't have it? I am thinking about a new one, 2012 model. ANy suggestions or tips are welcome, please. I know nothing about these new trucks. Not sure where to go to get help or read up on real world driving dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom