Back-up Light signal source in cab for reverse lights and cameras (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inukshuk

SILVER Star
Threads
For a US Spec 1993 FZJ80, a good place to tap the reverse light circuit is in the driver's side kick-panel.

I found no good photos or great description about where precisely to find this back-up light signal source in cab for reverse lights (my project) and backup cameras (many others asked). (Many words added here to aid search.) :cheers:

Once I found the connector, it was easy to find the wire and connect it to my switch. I'm using a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch so my roof rack rear facing lights can be on with Reverse, off, or on (for camp setup or area light).

Photo one: Tip of screwdriver shows pin on male connector.
Photo two: closeup (I highlighted the pin in black). Wire out the back of the male connector is red with black stripe.
Photo three: This is the female side after pin removed. I added a black mark. In my hand is the modified pin.
Photo four: Close up of female side connector.
DSC09990.JPG
DSC09982.JPG
DSC09980.JPG
DSC09979.JPG

Last edited:
DSC09984.JPG
DSC09986.JPG
DSC09991.JPG
DSC09993.JPG
Photo 5: Close up of modified pin. I merely soldered a small wire to the back, then sanded it smooth and low profile. Wire needs to be small and low profile to fit back into the connector.
Photo 6: Another close up of modified pin.
Photo 7: Modified pin with blue wire re-inserted into connector
Photo 8: Another image of Modified pin with blue wire re-inserted into connector

That's it. Now you have a source for +12V when the gearshift is in reverse.

Awesome.. Wish I knew about this. I ran the camera backup wire to the rear tailight and spliced it with the backup bulb.

Nice Dan - gis a look at your rev. camera (if you have one installed) as well.

Very nice. Now I'm curious though. What does the lamp cord go to?

Now that is how wiring is done Gents! Just like this... Butt connectors, wiring nuts and twisted together wires wrapped in tape should not happen on any vehicle. It can cause serious issues.

Top notch work, keep it up.

Last edited:
So you are using that pin to trigger the relay to turn on those snazzy lights? That's pretty slick!

Did you also include an override so you don't blind the people across the street as you back out of your driveway in the morning? haha!

Yes. I'll post a picture.

Thanks - is that the sole power source for both lights. you tapped into the blue wire that you soldered to the existing white wire? did you put an inline fuse or any other modification to make it work?

Thanks! Figuring out how to pin/depin opens up another world of options for clean wiring.

I'm using a "single pole double throw" (SPDT) switch. My roof rack rear facing lights can 1) come on automatically when the transmission is in reverse, 2) be switched off, or 3) be switched on (for camp setup or area light). The first photo below shows the switch location. I had a fog light switch there before so I do not remember for certain what was there. I think it was a large round blank. This little switch is nicely tucked out of the way.

I typically keep it in the "come on automatically when the transmission is in reverse" setting. At the grocery parking lot there can be no missing me backing out of a spot. On the Cruise Moab night run last year (aka the "Dinner Cruiser"), which was Fins N Things (and this year will be Hell's Revenge) I turned it off so as not to flash behind me very time I put it in gear. On other trail runs people have reported strange flashes of light the thought was a UFO. he he.

The last two shots are stock reverse lights only, and combined.

I believe you can achieve a very good backup light result just swapping LED bulbs for stock. I wanted to also have area lighting on demand.

IMG_6785.JPG
IMG_6787.JPG
IMG_6788.JPG

Looks good! I ended up putting two lights up with a switch near where you put yours and backup camera connection to my reverse lights!

20140510_111708.jpg

I just got the Rigid backup light wiring harness that requires a reverse light circuit connection as well. Do you know if your connector splice will work for a 1996 FZJ80?

I just got the Rigid backup light wiring harness that requires a reverse light circuit connection as well. Do you know if your connector splice will work for a 1996 FZJ80?

I do not know. 1995 and newer OBDII has many wiring differences. You can figure out the connections location from the EWD

Thanks for the write up. Just used this to install my reverse cam. but what year is your truck? My wire was red and black. Just wondering if they changed the color at a certain year.

Haha the first thing you said was that it was a 93. but does anyone know when they changed out the color of the wire?

Great write-up!
I have a '97 LX450 and I went to that connector behind the kick panel and tested each wire connected to the female connector with the gear selector in Park and then in Reverse. I couldn't find a difference. I have the shop manual, but not the EWD. It looks like this may not be the junction where I can find the wire to tap into.

I'm installing a Pioneer SPH-DA120 head unit with a rear backup camera. I love your use of the SPDT switch to control your rear mounted reverse lights. I would split the output wire to go the SPDT and to the head unit so I can have both. Just have to find that wire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom