Where to get 12V power and brake signal for license plate light on spare tire swingout? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got my rear license plate mounted on my spare tire – which is on a swingout. Until now, I’ve just been running a mini solar rechargable mini LED light double-sided taped to the plate for a license plate light – but it doesn’t get a lot of direct sunlight where I park, so it never really charges fully, and it only gives me about an hour of runtime. I needed a better solution. So I just purchased a LitePLATE license plate light kit made by Off Road Only.

License Plate LED Light With 6 Foot Disconnectable Harness LitePLATE OffRoadOnly

The particular one I got not only has white LED lights to illuminate the license plate, but it also has outward-facing red LEDs that can be hooked up to function as a third brake light. The wiring connections required to run the license plate light and third brake light are Power (Tail/License Plate), Brake, and Ground.

I’m trying to figure out where the best place is to make those connections. I really don’t want to tap into the factory wiring if I don’t have to. Ideally, I’d like to find an external connection, under the truck. I was eyeing the trailer wiring harness which runs externally, along the underside of the rear of the truck which was installed by the PO, along with a trailer brake controller, and a 4pin flat to 7 pin adapter.

I have no intention of towing anything with my truck. I could unplug the 4pin flat from the 4 to 7 adapter, and make my own 4pin flat pigtail to provide power, ground, and brake – but I think then that the red LEDs would not just come on with the brakes – they’d also flash whenever I used the turn signals. That wouldn’t be the end of the world, but I was wondering if there’s a better way to do this. Is there somewhere I can get a brake-only signal that isn’t too far upstream?

If there’s an easier way to get the connections I need for the license plate light/third brake light without using the trailer wiring harness, I might just remove the trailer brake controller and harness entirely. But everything is working just fine, so it’s not like it needs to be done right now either.

Assume you are working on your LX450. First thing you need to do is download the EWD from the resources section.

You are looking for connector T10 which should be just to the left in your first picture.
T10-1 is tail light
T10-2 is brake light
T10-3 is back-up light
Your trailer harness may already be using T10.

This thread should help. On a Land Cruiser the connector is T4.

Thank you Tom H and Outsane - very helpful. I had been poring over EWD's and reviewing old threads for a while now, but I think most of what I'd been reading about was for the Land Cruiser, so the connector names weren't matching. It makes sense now.

Sure enough, those connectors were just to the left, mummified in mud and electrical tape. I exhumed them, and it looks like the PO used a different trailer wiring kit that required tapping into the factory harness.

The T10 connector is still unoccupied. Is that where the Curt 55365 trailer wiring harness that Outsane suggested plus in? If so, I might be able to just use the male T10 connector that comes in that kit. Unfortunately, my vehicle-side female T10 connector looks to be in is in pretty bad shape. I could try cleaning it up and check it for continuity.

Or since there are already taps in use, would it be better just use additional taps into the red and brown wires going to the trailer wiring controller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom