ATEB HDJ81 Intercooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so to finalize- this is a great upgrade. I dont think I am going to add any more fuel, very happy with the performance as it is and I have a big safe zone at the top of the pyro now. It simply makes more power for the same amount of pressure on the pedal. I would characterize it as another incremental upgrade like the power rod, you notice it more when on the freeway in overdrive, but the truck is definitely more punchy off the line as well.. I wonder if I will get better mileage since I dont have to give it as much wellie?

Honestly this mod and a Gturbo Badboy would be the cats ass Christian....
Boosting 25psi would be SICK!

nice to get some dyno numbers for comparison (torque for off-road, hp for freeway) for ATEB upgrades.

• baseline - stock boost and exhaust
  • 3" exhaust with boost
  • with power rod
  • with power rod and intercooler
For reference

• 1HDT engine is rated at 162 hp, 267 lb-ft

• HDJ100 with OEM intercooler is rated at 202 hp, 317 lb-ft
these are likely engine dyno numbers not measured at rear wheel which is what could compare.

Sure. You payin?

ATEB has a lot to gain through independent verification of these mods

Yeah that would have been interesting but it is too late in my case to revert to a basic state and I am not curious enough to spend money on the dyno run.

HDT's in factory spec are tuned very conservatively so it seems and that 162HP figure is pretty anemic for a big rig with horrific driveline inefficiencies like the AWD auto '81...

I towed my loaded M416 to Cranbrook/return, Oroville/return, Westbank/return this summer in the brutal heat also did the usual West Harrison Chehalis trips and drove through a river or two.- did the China Head trip in the cold without the trailer, a couple of trips up the Sunshine Coast and Eagle Ridge twice. I did the Kokopelli/Moab trip last year with all mods but the IC.

I am on 35" MTs and have stock gears. I did not suffer so much as a hint of mechanical difficulty all year , other than the re-emergence of my evil frame crack. On the long hot grades out of Osoyoos and the Coq. I was at the max egt I felt sustainable 1325 deg F pre turbo but I was able to keep up with traffic. I had to slow to modulate egt. Now with the IC I think things will get a whole lot better.

So I can tell you that each item has yielded a noticeable incremental improvement in useful performance but work best as a system of improvement, including the 3 inch exhaust with the muffler that I apparently paid too much for..lol

The power rod and tune would be the most startling increase, but I had the big exhaust already so whaddya know?

Glenn- when I did the power rod and tune I let other members drive the truck, subsequently almost every lower mainland HDJ81 I am aware of and some from out of country appeared for the same modification. I have yet to hear of someone who regretted doing it, or felt they didn't get strong value. Hard numbers from a dyno are great but a realistic seat of the pants improvement related by a large pool of experienced vehicle owners is also not without merit.

I dont know what they could do for a 3B but John's Prado has a fully customized turbo/IC/Intake/tune and it is WAY faster than my truck...

but that said, would be interesting to dyno it anyway..

Last edited:
Ok so to finalize- this is a great upgrade. I dont think I am going to add any more fuel, very happy with the performance as it is and I have a big safe zone at the top of the pyro now. It simply makes more power for the same amount of pressure on the pedal. I would characterize it as another incremental upgrade like the power rod, you notice it more when on the freeway in overdrive, but the truck is definitely more punchy off the line as well.. I wonder if I will get better mileage since I dont have to give it as much wellie?

You would get even more power while still maintaining proper temperature perimeters. You probably would notice a difference too!

Christian going offroad would be SICK.

The guy gets a ton of flack for his mall queen... I said the same thing buddy when I got my 77 but its criminal not to use a cruiser....

nice to get some dyno numbers for comparison (torque for off-road, hp for freeway) for ATEB upgrades.

• baseline - stock boost and exhaust
  • 3" exhaust with boost
  • with power rod
  • with power rod and intercooler
For reference

• 1HDT engine is rated at 162 hp, 267 lb-ft

• HDJ100 with OEM intercooler is rated at 202 hp, 317 lb-ft
these are likely engine dyno numbers not measured at rear wheel which is what could compare.

Absolutely! this would be great marketing and hard proof of their modifications....

I was at the max egt I felt sustainable 1325 deg F pre turbo but I was able to keep up with traffic. I had to slow to modulate egt. Now with the IC I think things will get a whole lot better.

So I can tell you that each item has yielded a noticeable incremental improvement in useful performance but work best as a system of improvement, including the 3 inch exhaust with the muffler that I apparently paid too much for..lol

The power rod and tune would be the most startling increase, but I had the big exhaust already so whaddya know?

I am surprised you ran that hot for extended periods.... Wow!

Give it a rest about the exhaust s***!:flipoff2:

Anyone have a stock truck properly tuned for comparison?
This could be a good baseline....

Last edited:
yeah, Christian's truck.

LOL... see my truck comes in handy once and a while! :flipoff2:

Its bone stock even down to the recommended oil... has the EVB thou but that should not make much of a difference.

Edit: Well 3" exhaust too

btw I keep forgetting to tell you but I have your backing plates

Last edited:
btw I keep forgetting to tell you but I have your backing plates

Yeah, I have been meaning to ask you what is the damage was for them.:D

After a long drive --

Just did Burnaby horseshoe bay Nanaimo Victoria Tsawwassen and home..

Truck feels less stressed than before, like it isn't working as hard. EGTs and boost are certainly lower. I drove the Malahat southbound at about 65 kmh (relax, no one else was on the road that early) to kill time and let the little guy sleep and it never dropped out of overdrive, and just smoothly pulled the hills. Normally I would have to be at around 1800 rpm to be in the torque curve (I assume) to pull the hills, now I just putz along and ease into the pedal at 1500 and it goes up hill in lockup no sweat.

Certainly less pedal pressure to maintain speed or pull away. When on boost over 80 KMH easing into the pedal gives a much more willing response, and smoke is less now than before.

Did the Boundary Rd. hill and it shifted up as usual into lockup at around 60 KMH/ 1500 rpm. It simply pulled the hill from that low speed in OD with low EGT and very little smoke. Normally to pull the Boundary Rd. Hill I would have to hold 3rd. gear to build speed to get it to continue accelerating once it shifted into OD. I could also get 1200 Deg. F. EGT pushing it up the hill that way now, in OD from low speed I am seeing 850-900 DEG. F. in the same scenario.

Similar results on the 'Cut on the way to Nanaimo ferry. There is no need to 'get a run' on a hill, the USEABLE power curve has dropped down by about 250 rpm which is awesome.

I am still fueling at my pre IC level, and the performance is very nicely improved, I know I can add fuel and go faster but don't see the need right now.

So it seems to have achieved my desire to have stock or better performance while running stock gears with 35" tires.

There is plenty of room to install a wider IC core behind the grille but I wanted to keep as much of my Trans Cooler unobstructed, and John assured me this one was the right size- I was sceptical but it seems he was totally correct. Highly recommended mod.

my thinking on intercooler sizeing is , if it is bad to have long pipeing runs,and you can cool the air with a smaller cooler,then smaller should be better (less air volume ,quicker to push and easier to compress)?

Yeah George I tend to agree. But that is my uneducated opinion only

Last edited:
Is your waste gate set at 15psi or did your gauge just get to the end?

That's some decent acceleration. ('course, now your kid will dig up that video when you tell him not to text while driving 16 years from now! :bang:)

Yeah, 15 psi I have not put it back to 17 or increased the fuel yet. I think it is fast enough considering the 35's, stock gears and all the armour and lift..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom