ATEB HDJ81 Intercooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Git yer pink slip out Steiger.. no, not the nightie you stole from Lances' dainties drawer. We go on 3...

It was on a closed course with an unprofessional driver.

Your RPM and speed are close to what I am doing at a 120km/h with correct gearing, you should use the gps to find out how fast your actually going.

I am actually going approx 8-10% faster than indicated.

Sailor, very interesting read. Thanks for documenting it.

I'm quite interested in meeting this John fellow, and would love for him to do the power rod and a proper tune on my 80. It needs it.

What kind of dollar range are we speaking of with the front mount setup? My EGTs are always too high.

There ares several intercooler kits available for your 1 HDT
-Safari, Denco, PWR

Hey Glenn- We are going to have a Dyno day shortly per your good idea. We are getting a removable sensor to get Air Fuel Ratio readings to maximize the tuning opportunities with minimal time expended. We will be doing my truck and Georges rocket '81 too. I don't expect mine to post huge numbers but is is sure a lot more satisfying to drive, which was my goal..

As to cost- I would prefer anyone ask the Voo man himself-

I dont think you could call this a 'kit' as each installation is custom and will likely vary slightly to owners taste or expectation.

Of the other off the shelf units available, I have only driven a safari unit, and mine is faster and boosts quicker.

I have driven an denco hdj81. Only boosted up to 12psi.
Got the power mod but was having a few boost leak issues that I didn't get to try out again.
I am sure pumped up to 17 pounds it would be quick.

Hey Glenn- We are going to have a Dyno day shortly per your good idea. We are getting a removable sensor to get Air Fuel Ratio readings to maximize the tuning opportunities with minimal time expended. We will be doing my truck and Georges rocket '81 too. I don't expect mine to post huge numbers but is is sure a lot more satisfying to drive, which was my goal..

I dont think you could call this a 'kit' as each installation is custom and will likely vary slightly to owners taste or expectation.

Of the other off the shelf units available, I have only driven a safari unit, and mine is faster and boosts quicker.

This is the only way I see to objectively measure the performance gain from engine modifications.
The reason is the HDJ81 all have different amour, lift, tire and aerodynamic configurations (e.g. RTTs) that affect drag and weight and consequently acceleration and hill climbing ability. The HDJ81 had the same 1 HDT engine from 1990 to 1994/1995 (after which went to the 1HD-FT 24 valve) so all these rigs have the same base power plant.
These benchmark numbers are very useful because they eliminate the differing weight and aerodynamic differences that come to play when the vehicle is in motion.

Last edited:
Yeah Agree. However these trucks are pretty old now and have varying levels of maintenance, efficiency and tune up so an accurate definition will be tough to achieve.

I am simply describing the differences I have experienced over the 85,000 Km I have driven my truck in varying states of tune and modification. I am presently at the best combination of useable performance and lack of smoke I have ever had. Annoyingly I still have what I consider excessive smoke at idle, but I think that is not uncommon for this engine from what I have been told...

I'd offer mine if John wanted to use it for comparison (provided he doesn't blow it up...and maybe gives me a discount on something!) however it only has storage insurance on it...suppose they could use their repair plate. It will be at ATEB until Dec 12th. It's in the process of getting the 3" exhaust and power rod (among other maintenance items $$$) but no intercooler yet. May be interesting to see what the intercooler alone does in terms of measurable output, although this isn't the whole story of course.

Last edited:
The power rod and tune is a SIGNIFICANT performance upgrade.. I looked at your truck- it does need a lot of love but nothing insurmountable. I let the boys loose on mine when I got it- did all their recommendations. 85,000 km later and never failed me once. Seems cheap in hindsight, but costly at the time..

The power rod and tune is a SIGNIFICANT performance upgrade.. I looked at your truck- it does need a lot of love but nothing insurmountable. I let the boys loose on mine when I got it- did all their recommendations. 85,000 km later and never failed me once. Seems cheap in hindsight, but costly at the time..

Yes, the paint is horrendous and the interior needs some serious cleaning. It was a well used locked 5 speed or a decent locked auto...I wanted the 5 speed :rolleyes:. In driving it and according to ATEB, the drivetrain is good...cosmetic issues mostly. The PO paid $24k in 2006 and the clear started desintegrating two months later :eek:.

i would not be cutting your truck down quite yet i have seen it i am sure you will love it.especailly if its your fist time there the best thing about ateb is ,if you want to go that next level he will custom grind your power rod (if he did not already custom cut it for you already) to your limit likings . personally im a hp freek with my toys and never heard of power rod mods a few years ago(in the canadain iceage area at least) and they were well into makeing there own then . and they can go a long ways from where you are going to be at , welcome to the adiction. make sure you look at you exhaust how tight the run is ,your running another so called imposible 3 in. impossible run,that quite frankley i can say has not rattled once with only an 1/8 of clearance on at least 10 different spots hitting at all angles of the 180 clock involved,mine is still untouched no rattle proven weekly in full flex situations with lots of heat and cooling. probably one of his better attributes really . get john to get ahold of me if you want to try my truck out for a power comparison

Last edited:
So you have a lot of headroom $$ to get the thing back up to scratch.. I was actually thinking of buying it and breaking it for parts, if you can believe it but you got there ahead. If the storage I obtained would have been available one week earlier I would have likely moved on it. Well bought. I am back and forth on the 5 speed thing. uphill-no downhill-YES!

It was definitely overpriced to start and I would've liked to get it a bit cheaper but I think it was reasonable. The locked 5 speeds don't come up often so I didn't want to miss out and I had some extra funds to put into it. I plan on doing the whole truck in a factory tinted bedliner like Al's or Durabak.

I need to watch that I don't dump too much money into it though as I'd be throwing it away (preaching to the choir I know!). Hopefully the American market will help re-sale in a few years.

Any idea when you're doing this? I've been thinking of doing mine for awhile now.

It wouldn't be until the summer. I'm going to pick up the truck next month and it is going to stay with family on the island until June or so until I transfer out of Bella Bella.

I've been trying to find a linered one in my truck's factory colour which I'm guessing is blue slate...no luck so far. I'd considered black and a few other colours but I don't want door jambs, etc in a completely different colour so I figure something in a similar colour as the factory paint would be nice. Cost and durability wise, the liner does make sense IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom