Anyone has one of this type of teardrop camper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
As I was driving through MO, I ran across a teardrop camper. I've seen smaller ones in the past but not this size. Anyway, here's the link http://www.tab-rv.com/index.php

They're around 2,000 lbs and look like will fit in the airstream of a 80/60 quite well. I'm curious to hear how they are and what they cost.

Thanks.

Ali

The first RV we owned was a 1957 Mercury Teardrop. They are larger than the type on the linked pages. Ours was 13', hitch to bumper, and you could stand up inside. There was a fixed ful size bed in the back, a dinette that converted to a twin in the front, a wardrobe on the entry side, and a kitchen on the other side. No fridge, just an ice box. There was a full size RV stove with oven and a bar size sink. The water tank gravity fed the single spigot, no water heater. The single gas lamp warmed the inside pretty well.

The simplicity of the unit was a big plus. It also trailed well, I towed it with a Chevy PU with a straight six (about the same displacment/Hp as a 2F). Except on very steep, long grades it did fine.

IIRC we paid around $350 for it. We stripped the paneling and re-finished it. I rebuilt the kitchen unit which was falling apart, and re-wired the whole thing. Total cost was around $100 plus a few eeekends. I believe we sold it for around $650 after three or four years and moved up to a self contained 22' unit.

We miss that trailer more than any other RV we have had since.

I looked under the trailer and it looked like it has the torsional suspension of some type. Also, another cool thing is that the rims are 16"! I wonder how much work to slap on a set of 285 16s on that puppy!

If the galley is outside then quite possibly the dogs can fit in there too, otherwise there's only one bed so the family size needs to be small!

Ali

If the torsion setup is two separate units (L/H and R/H) pull them off and some decent rect. tube as lift blocks and your in.

I think getting addition height is no problem, just need larger fenders or fab your own.

Bought one last week, if there is need i can take some shots of the details.
Its a German off road edition of the t@b so maybe some things will be different?
taboffroad_03_g_r.jpg

Hi Advent,
just towed it behind a LR110 last weekend and that did work excellent.
Its a pretty small trailer outside but offers quite good space inside.
Easily sleeps 3 people and even up to 5 if they not to large. ;)

It aint a hardcore rubicon trip trailer but its got some good clearance.
I really like the fridge, heater and stove, weather in summer is sometimes a real bummer over here and i did always like to have a proper camping setup.

Still got my tent-trailer if the going gets rough.....

I will take some pictures at the weekend with my 40 hooked up to it.

alia176 said:
As I was driving through MO, I ran across a teardrop camper. I've seen smaller ones in the past but not this size. Anyway, here's the link http://www.tab-rv.com/index.php

They're around 2,000 lbs and look like will fit in the airstream of a 80/60 quite well. I'm curious to hear how they are and what they cost.

Thanks.

Ali
Those are pretty cool, any idea of the price range?

Tucker

Thats behind the LR110 just to give you a idea of the sizes.
tablr.jpg

Back from Denmark Vacation, hey i love that thing! :)

Didnt do any Off Roading with it but its loveley to enjoy the rain and storm while having dinner and listen to the raindrops ....... ;)

A pic from the inside
caravan01xp8.jpg

and one from my T@b-Trailer.

And well, i was lucky to get a nice numberplate for it! :) :)
tab-Fanoe.jpg
mytab.jpg

alia176 said:

Thanks.

Ali

Cool, I just searched & found a dealer just up the road & they have 10 or so in stock it looks like. I'll have to go check them out today. I don't know about the 5'9" interior height though. Being 6'1", it might get irritating having to duck my head down whenever I'm in it.....

They had a big gathering of the teardrops here in the redwoods this summer. Came from all over. Very cool trailers.
:cool:

Just went and looked at one today - the Tab trailer all decked out is about $19K :doh:

This one is an '06. A used goes for about $10k with heater,propane stove and stereo.

tab3.jpg

tab5.jpg

tab2.jpg

tab4.jpg

tabtrailer.jpg

I am just about finished mine. It is about 1000#'s, I have 35" BFG muds, it is going to be finished in Durabak box liner. It is 8' long and 5' wide. It is fully wired and plumbed, it will sleep 2 comfortable. I will post pics next month when I am ready to insure it.

Ryan

Finally i took some pictures with my 40 pulling the T@B.

tab%2640.jpg

wolli-2008-003.jpg

Looks good but you need a lift on that thing! They have been selling these T@B's for quite some time. They have them listed for ~$15000 in Denver off I-70. Really small and carry a big trendy price.

I think they are German made. I had a set of those rims on my old 98' TDI Passat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom