Anyone Else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive searched and is there anyone else besides Dobie that is running 35s w/o any body lift and spacers?

I know he has 315 KM2 which are not true 35s. Ive PM him to ask about any issues since hes installed them but he has not replied yet. So any RTH would be great before I order

Im ditching my 16s and moving up to 18 tundra steelies and my two choices are BFG KM2 in 285/70/18 (if the 35s won't work) or Nokians Vatiiva M/T in 305/70/18 which measure 35.1" tall / 12.2" wide (price will be the same as the BFG). I would prefer to go with the Nokians if I can get away with no BL & wheel spacers.

BTW i have upgraded UCA and shocks and will be ordering new springs

Pretty sure Layton just put 35s on his rig. He did the standard pinch weld hammering and turn stop adjustments but I don't think he's running spacers yet. He did end up grinding the strike face off of the steering knuckle though.

Truth be told, you're just going to have to get a tire mounted and do a test fit on the truck to really know.

Correct, just installed 35s. 315/75r16s GY MTRs on OEM 16" wheels.
Have some 10mm spacers coming in this week as i am rubbing the UCA.

And yes BFG tires do run small for the size they are listed as.

I got back to you now.

And yes a 285/75/18 Toyo MT too might be a good choice?

From Dobie:

Hey there,
Currently I have 33s (305/16) on now. They are TOYO MTs that were brand new on an 80 I bought. I wanted to try the 33s with my 4.88s.

Ive ran 35 inch (315/75/16) KM2 and I still run 34.5 inch (295/70/18) Nitto TerraG without any issues. The widest and tallest tire I've ran was the KM2 and that tire only rubbed on the frame at full lock. I never had any issues with it rubbing on the control arms.

I'm really interested in my next tire down the road though as 285/75/18 Toyo MT that is a true 35 inch tire but much thinner. I dont think there would be any issues with rubbing on anything.

The trimming is really minor if your just doing the front fender. I guess just trim the plastic fender well and if you want hammer down the pinch weld and call it a day. I havnt done either though.

The 315/75/16 KM2 measure exactly the same as your goodyear M/T. 34.8 tall / 12.3 wide, How is it that you need spacers if the tire measure the same? What UCA are you running?

Do it. I want to see 'em. Isn't there a narrower 35" for the 18" tire? Like the 285/75/18?

If the Nokians wont work without BL and spacers...Ill get the KM2 in 285/70/18. It seems to me the consensus on the internet on KM2's on snow and ice are horrible, but what MT isn't right? Im set on a MT tire for sure. With winter coming up I really wanted to try the Nokians out and see if their reputation lives up, but I may just have to run chains...

^ my GY MT/R Kevlars are very, very good on snow and ice; MT or not.

I have two sets of wheels and with the new intro of the Toyo OC ATII offered (50k and 65k mile tread life warranties finally in ALL sizes!) in 285/75R18 , 35"x12.5"x18" amongst a big selection of other sizes...I'll be swapping out my worn OC AT's soon. If Toyo's marketing hype is 1/2 good the OC ATII could be a big hit!

^ my GY MT/R Kevlars are very, very good on snow and ice; MT or not.

I have two sets of wheels and with the new intro of the Toyo OC ATII offered (50k and 65k mile tread life warranties finally in ALL sizes!) in 285/75R18 , 35"x12.5"x18" amongst a big selection of other sizes...I'll be swapping out my worn OC AT's soon. If Toyo's marketing hype is 1/2 good the OC ATII could be a big hit!

I just looked these up. Very Interesting, and I like how skinny they are compared to others. 34.8 tall 11.3 wide

Last edited:
I've been rolling 315/75/16 BFG KM2's for the past year and a half with no spacers. They are close to the UCA but have not been a problem on or offroad for me. I've taken the same measures noted above and did minor turn stop adjustment as well.

The 315/75/16 KM2 measure exactly the same as your goodyear M/T. 34.8 tall / 12.3 wide, How is it that you need spacers if the tire measure the same? What UCA are you running?

You are just going to have to trust me that BFGs run small for their listed size compared to other brands, or find someone with BFGs and take a measuring tape to them.

ALL BFG tires are much smaller than their listed size.
My 285/70/17s for my FJ listed by BFG as a 32.8" tire, but really was about a 32" tire.
My 295/75r16s i just pulled off listed by BFG as a 33.2" tire but actually measured out to around 32.5" or so. (both of these filled up to around 40PSI on a relatively light vehicle)

Here is a post from Slee stating that 35" BFGs are really more like a 34" tire
"John, just qualify what 35's you are talking about. Remember you run BFG AT's in 315 that is not close to a true 35" tire but closer to a 34" tire measured. There are some 35" tires out there that are true 35" measured. This will play a big role in tire fitment and power loss due to incorrect gearing."
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=2922704&postcount=4

Also, if you need to run chains i wouldn't run a 35. I'd stick with 33s.

Also, if you need to run chains i wouldn't run a 35. I'd stick with 33s.

FWIW: With either my GY MT/R Kevlar or my Toyo OC AT in 285/75R18 I have clearance and have repeatedly used snow/recovery chains (Laclede; 5mm links; sourced from Les Schwab) with at least a 10mm wheel spacer in front (none required in back) with the usual mods for 35" tires (namely hammering the pinch weld and trimming the fender liner in the same location). Granted the clearance is small in front but its clearance just the same :)

FWIW: With either my GY MT/R Kevlar or my Toyo OC AT in 285/75R18 I have clearance and have repeatedly used snow/recovery chains (Laclede; 5mm links; sourced from Les Schwab) with at least a 10mm wheel spacer in front (none required in back) with the usual mods for 35" tires (namely hammering the pinch weld and trimming the fender liner in the same location). Granted the clearance is small in front but its clearance just the same :)

Yeah but you have done a good bit of work to get that much clearance ;)

Do you think a stock vehicle could run your tire size (the 18" wheel skinny 35s) with out any of the modifications you have done and run chains with out any issues?

Do you think a stock vehicle could run your tire size (the 18" wheel skinny 35s) with out any of the modifications you have done and run chains with out any issues?

All chains aside: Could a stock truck with the usual 2.5" lift run the skinny 285/75/18's without issue rubbing?

Not my toyos. You'd want a body lift which is cheap and easy to install. Without it you'll have a good deal of rubbing in the back on the inner fender and up front on the liners and the washer fluid res guard.

Sorry for the threadjack Socal Cruiser!

I ran the same chains on my former 315/75R16 MT/R (original version) without a body lift but with 1" front wheel spacers. Body seam pinched down, ~2.5" lift, etc. Toyo MT's are bigger all the way around so Loud is correct with respect to that tire brand and model.

I ran my current tires (285/75R18 GY MT/R Kevlar and Toyo OC AT same size) without a body lift but you will get serious rub on the top area of the inner fender skirt/liner on compression (sans chains). With the same and 1"+ wheel spacers you get steel fender to tire interference on compression. That's the nice thing about the 1" body lift + 10mm spacers (and front Timbren bump stops): Adequate clearance even at full/hard compression. Once you guys, that want to or are running 35" tires, move on to 1" body lift you'll never look back. And I know there is a fair amount of apprehension from some of you about doing the 1" BL but its not that bad as long as you have everything on hand the day you start the job.

I never have adjusted steering to larger radius for any of the nominal 35" tires I've run; but then I did get a little non-consequential rub at the rear inside of each front tire at the frame when lock turning :meh:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom