Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1st coat.

1439074272959.jpg

1439074284437.jpg

Second coat is on, I will try to posr a wtire up about the Rust Bullet later tonight or tomorrow. I was planning on laying down both the topcoat and the base today but it didn't happen.

Right now I need to cool off, and rehydrate, 10 hours straight in the sun is not as easy as it used to be.

Second coat is on, I will try to posr a wtire up about the Rust Bullet later tonight or tomorrow. I was planning on laying down both the topcoat and the base today but it didn't happen.

Right now I need to cool off, and rehydrate, 10 hours straight in the sun is not as easy as it used to be.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I brushed it on. If I were to ever do it again it I would use a spray gun, very tedious work by hand. Biggest problem is my air compressor, I don't have one that could sustain enough air flow to use a spray gun.

Time to talk with some people at work about borrowing one....

Now that I have a full belly and some fluids in me I will give my opinion on the Rust Bullet.

First of all this stuff seemed to be the real deal. After painstakingly cleaning my frame to get it free from a decent build up of grease and oil in a few choice places, most notably around the spring perches and inside the rails downstream of the steering box, I sprayed the frame with the Metal Blast from Rust Bullet. I soaked it pretty good and let it set for about an hour, all the ares that were already clean had a nice layer of surface rust from a couple days of rain. The Metal Blast turned the rust into a solid material to work with, in a snap! After it soaked on the frame for about an hour I jumped on the pressure washer to remove everything and get down to a clean workable surface, a little air from the air compressor and I had the frame dry and ready to paint. As soon as I opened the can of the Rust Bullet protective coating I could tell this stuff was legit, the smell, the consistency as I stirred it, and the looks of it. Now I have read, and I have been around industrial stuff long enough to know put on your PPE, so out came the work pants, long sleeve shirt, and latex gloves. I started on the front end of the frame, slow and tedious work up front, a lot of cracks and crevices to get in, first thoughts after about ten minutes was that this stuff lays on THICK, along with destroying the first foam applicator that I started with it gets sticky fast, did I say this stuff goes on thick? It took a LONG time to lay down the first coat, I turned to a couple cheap big box store brushes to use, getting a good, well saturated coat in all the crooks and crannies took some serious time and effort. Now in no way am I looking to make this rig a Barret Jackson show piece, so I am not too worried about the brush marks and some runs here and there, I am looking to make this rig solid and not worry every time I drive in the winter, or worry about taking it to the beach. Did I mention it lays on thick? After the first coat went on I hit it pretty hard to get the second coat on, I was feeling the heat by that point, I did notice that when the pan I was using started to get low that the coating would get REALLY THICK, almost too tough to work with, but adding a little every now and then helped solve that issue. Getting into every spot was tough, especially the frame rails, I did the best I could with what I had. Hopefully when I lay the top coat down I can borrow an air compressor from somebody, it would have been a whole lot easier, but doing it by hand I could really focus on key areas that see a lot of road grime. Back to the PPE, I broke a middle finger on both gloves, covered my finger tip and nail, and I also got that crap in my beard, time to shave.

Overall I am extremely impressed with the base coat, EXTREMELY impressed. Worth the cash? only time will tell.

you brushed it on?
They claim that you need their special solvent to spray - but that's simply not true, I used a 1.8 tip in a siphon gun (harbor freight, $18.00) and it went on very well.

Did you use something like this?

Did you have to buy a tip for it, or does it come with one already?

1439085418154.jpg

Awesome, thanks. I still have a lot of stuff to treat and I don't feel like going through a day like today again. I don't mind the brush work on the frame as the majority of it isn't visible normally, and I could really lay it thick in certain areas, but I still have the axles, springs, bottom of the tub, and some miscellaneous parts to do.

My 79 had POR 15 on it when I got it. It came off in sheets in several areas and I sandblasted the rest off. Then I used eastwood rust encapsulator, a skimcoat of filler to fill in rust pits, then a few more coats of rust encapsulator, then a few coats of chassis black. I did actually show the truck and it looked great. But I never drove it in the winter. I used rust bullet, rust encapsulator, and KBS on 3 different tacomas and of the 3 honestly I was most impressed with KBS for durability. Now that truck has Toyota's frame coating over the top of it though. Rust bullet was definately better than the rust encapsulator though. The last truck I used RE on I used their spray-on rubberized stuff. It was completely gone mid-winter the first season. All the others I brushed-on.

Last edited:
And who was the last guy in Colorado? If I remember right, it took someone a few days to get acclimatized!

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom