Airing down impact on tire balance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just had my tires re-balanced to alleviate some vibration at highway speeds. It worked quite well and the vibration is gone. If I end up doing frequent air down / air up for going offroad, is that going to impact tire balance?

No. The tire will not move on the rim - it'll be exactly where and how it was when you air back up.

If, after 'wheeling, you do feel a vibration, it is likely:
A) There's dirt/mud stuck to the inside/back of a wheel or wheels
B) A wheel weight was knocked off
C) A and B

I have had problems in the past when air down low of spinning the rim in the tire. Now when I get my tires mounted i have them wipe all the mounting lube from the bead and tire and set them dry. Other than that and the items noted by @Manhattan that airing down will not effect balance.

Counter point - Wheeling with over inflated tires leads to tread chunking, which will negatively impact balance...

I had my tires balanced at 29 psi and 32 psi. I then proceeded to raise the air pressure to 45 psi and this works better. Do I need to have the tires balanced again at the higher air pressure?

BF Goodrich KM2's - 285/70 R 18s.

The sidewalls are extremely stiff.

Thank you for the help.

No you don't need to have your tires balanced if running a higher tire pressure. Your not adding weight to any part of the tire by adding air. As to the Op original question, running low pressures will make the tires spin in the wheel and ruin the balance. I've marked my tire/rim with chalk b4 wheeling, after wheeling the marks were 180 degrees or so apart which destroyed the tire balance obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom