A new batch of OBD1READ - OBD1 scan tool for FZJ80 93-94 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The main reason I was using mine was to watch Eng temps in real time.
Then I just ended up adding a temp gauge as it won’t melt down.
If you add the sensor to the upper radiator hose you’ll be reading the coolant at its hottest point coming right out of the head
And the reading will be hotter the then the OBD1 reading because it’s getting its information from the factory sensor and a different spot.
Could be my sensor but mine reads 9-10 degrees cooler than what the Toyobd1 sees. I'm happy with that (even though it maybe false).

Tapped a sensor in the output of the engine (top hose). I have Trail tech.

The main reason I was using mine was to watch Eng temps in real time.
Then I just ended up adding a temp gauge as it won’t melt down.
If you add the sensor to the upper radiator hose you’ll be reading the coolant at its hottest point coming right out of the head
And the reading will be hotter the then the OBD1 reading because it’s getting its information from the factory sensor and a different spot.
Could be my sensor but mine reads 9-10 degrees cooler than what the Toyobd1 sees. I'm happy with that (even though it maybe false).

Tapped a sensor in the output of the engine (top hose). I have Trail tech.
20220428_171926_HDR.jpg

Yes, interesting should be the other way around.
I’m pretty sure we used the same spot.
1704601044904.png

I run this Koso
1704601276489.png

The 1st TOYOBD1 reading had me to replace a slew of cooling parts (Rad & cap, hoses, ECT sensor, blue fan and 15k viscosity, hood riser from Solvefunction) in an attempt to reduce my temp reading before I tapped a temp sensor to the rad hose. I then shorted the TOYOBD1 when I jumped my battery in 21'
Finally found my 2nd Toyobd1 last week and the reading was the same as the 1st Toyobd1 that i had (10deg higher)

The 1st TOYOBD1 reading had me to replace a slew of cooling parts (Rad & cap, hoses, ECT sensor, blue fan and 15k viscosity, hood riser from Solvefunction) in an attempt to reduce my temp reading before I tapped a temp sensor to the rad hose. I then shorted the TOYOBD1 when I jumped my battery in 21'
Finally found my 2nd Toyobd1 last week and the reading was the same as the 1st Toyobd1 that i had (10deg higher)
What are you numbers ?

Daily driving this week:
TrailTech: 178f
TOYOBD1: 187f
Same 180F normal daily on the Koso

I do remember higher reading on the TOYOOBD1, but I have changed some stuff since then.

Probably a great addition 👍, it's not directly fixing a problem you seem to don't have anyway 😉
Went into a rabbits hole trying to improve cooling.-went over board. I didn't like seeing 210-220 during summer days driving into steep elevations.

Tapped a sensor in the output of the engine (top hose). I have Trail tech.View attachment 3526880
Great info on this thread. Is this the one? Sensor, Temperature, Inline Coolant Sensor, 19mm | TrailTech - https://www.trailtech.net/en-us/shop/accessories/support/vehicle-sensors/temperature-water-hose-sensors/sensor-temperature-inline-coolant-sensor-19mm/
What is used to display the sensor reading?

Yes.....But TrailTech is a motorcycle product and the info above is 19mm OD (for a motorbike). Our hoses for the 80 is 38mm size therefore the above item is too small-our radiator hose of 38mm is too big. What I did was used the sensor and the display only and bought a 38mm size barrel off Amazon. Also you have to make sure the thread size matches the sensor's threads. Something like this:

Screenshot_20240107-140859(1).png

While that’s a good solution it adds two more places for a possible coolant leak. And adds cost.
Really easy to just drill and tap a hole into the output pipe coming off the head.
First picture post# 63.
That spot looks like it was meant to have a sensor installed into it, saves cost and has a clean OEM look to it when done. 😉

Last edited:
I have be happy with the Koso gauge, I like the large digital readout (I can read it with a quick glance) and packaged in a small gauge.
Available on eBay.

I have be happy with the Koso gauge, I like the large digital readout (I can read it with a quick glance) and packaged in a small gauge.
Available on eBay.
Choose TraiTech bacause of no wiring for power. The display has intetnal battery that last 3-4yrs. Once dead, just swap the display. (Cheap)

Just received another Toyobd1 but with out the 22 pin obd1 plug. Purchased the 22 pin off Amazon and added extetions to the pigtail so I can run the toyobd1 inside the glove compartment-avoid engine bay heat.
20240307_065705.jpg

20240312_150540.jpg
20240312_130937.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom