'96 Catalytic Converter Delete Mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looked through the FAQ, did Mud and Google searches...not sure why I can't find anything?

I'm looking to take both cats out (no emissions here) as I get my Y pipe redone. I'm figuring there's a resister I can fool the ECU with, exhaust guy says he can usually just move the sensor back and that works.

Do we have a normal method (resistor?) and if so, does anyone have a link to the thread/value for the resistor and location?

Or...failing that, is there a reason we don't cat-delete on 80 series?

I went to a 3-way single cat which made it much easier to run the exhaust over the frame like the earlier 93/94/setup.

Magnaflow 23120 + 23622 followed by SS cat back of your choice (Borla for example) and call it a day....you wouldn't need to touch your exhaust again again ....

regards

Shinsain: why do you want to remove the cats, are you getting inefficient cat codes??

You can use a spark plug anti-fouler to space out the 2nd O2 sensor. This is usually enough to fool an ecu.

Nevermind, forgot our o2's are not threaded like most other o2 sensors. You'll probably need to find very thick plate and long screws to space out the o2 enough.

Last edited:
Shinsain: why do you want to remove the cats, are you getting inefficient cat codes??

In his other thread he mentioned "more torque."

Yeah, just ease for the exhaust guy, straightens out the Y pipe/better flow, little boost in HP/TQ. Plus it takes something that will inevitably fail at some point out of the equation.

It's not a must do. It's pretty typical in other car communities. I'm kind of surprised it's not big here, actually?

I may just let the exhaust bro deal with it. He seems to be pretty comfortable with simply moving the sensor/other tricks that he's used in the past.

I just figured it was a typical mod and the info was for some reason playing hard to get.

For O2 sensor simulator go to urdusa.com (underdog racing and development). If memory serves the one for the Toyota V6 is the one for the LC/LX

Or...failing that, is there a reason we don't cat-delete on 80 series?

* My 80's exhaust already reeks like hell
* As far as I know, you gain no performance whatsoever in doing so
* As far as I know, the 80's CEL can be hard to fool
* Your cats work just fine
* Louder - don't want to scare away all the animals.
* Illegal
* Increases emissions
* Makes the off-road community look bad, and we need some good publicity before they close all our trails
* Why do you need that much torque? The 80 has plenty, and the mechanisms necessary to put it to the ground.

I understand a cat delete if they're broken, or if you have a dedicated trail rig out of which you MUST squeeze every bit of torque. But yours are fine, aren't they? Spend your money on new tires, a quality winch, or a good lift kit. Or, better yet - spend it on gas and have fun with your truck.

Don't remove the cat. I wish I had one in my truck as it's smell a lot better. If you want better numbers just go with a bigger diameter exhaust pipe and a free flowing cat and muffler. An you say they fail as if they'll fail in 30k miles. A good one will last a long time.

just an fyi... if your exhaust guy gets caught doing this, its a HUGE fine and possible loss of his business and license. I am surprised he is willing to do this.. In CA, we cant even buy the cheap converters... We have to have the magic CARB stamp/number... usually means 3x the price. They won't even sell used ones here.

just an fyi... if your exhaust guy gets caught doing this, its a HUGE fine and possible loss of his business and license. I am surprised he is willing to do this.. In CA, we cant even buy the cheap converters... We have to have the magic CARB stamp/number... usually means 3x the price. They won't even sell used ones here.

It very well could, but in non-inspections states it's not viewed as a big deal. A lot of shops will do it for you if you know the mechanic and they trust you. A local shop did my father's old Benz.

80s burn pretty clean once warm. the cat does add to underhood temps and heatsoak in the head once they start to age.

both my obd 1 engines have no cats and havent thrown a code. both run 5-7 deg. cooler. the one that had semi clogged/ failing cats had a 10deg drop in coolant temps measured on temp guage in coolant line.

You will find the mud community don't like people removing the cats or egr. I've dumped both and have no issues. There is no way I was going to pay for a new cat if I was having an exhaust made up and didn't have inspections.

I've seen two shops around here - one muffler, one general - that have statements on their website and/or counter saying that bypassing emissions equipment is illegal, they won't do it, don't ask. No emissions inspections here for several years now. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom