90 Day LV Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you know Rob, what you really come away with, is that he does this work without a garage, cement slab, heavy shop tools, major air tools or machine tools, basic hand tools do 95% of what he gets done.

" They make tools that use air ? " :hmm:
There were times we had to step away I was stressing out and pushing myself to hard. Moments like this made it all worth it.​
small_DSCN0548.JPG
small_DSCN0546.JPG
small_DSCN0545.JPG

Wow. just wow.

Well done my friend! Now drive the 45 and have your son drive the LV out to visit us for Howiepalooza XI... :D

Make sure the license plate lights are working, or stock up on glow stix.

Awesome! Very inspiring. I wish they sold a pill that gave the same feeling you had when that motor fired up!

You gonna bust out the rattle cans soon??

Rob- you are one crazy mofo:D. Did you ever figure out the strange gear whine in the transfer case?

OK so my idea for the 81 Master Cylinder was taking to much time to work out so I grabed my spare 73 FJ-40 master cylinder and got that bolted up, Thanks to Rockcod and his disk brake conversion I had alot of good working wheel cylinders and after swapping those out with the rears I called Rob and he droped off one of thse fancy vacuume brake line bleeders :hmm: ( Theres some cool stuff out there )
With the brakes done I still wanted to keep the stock air cleaner :bang: a quick trip to the hardware store and I found a Toilet spacer thingy that worked out perfect the hood cleared and after raising the air cleaner tub 1 1/4 inches I was done with that, Next was the steering, Yes the gas tank was down getting hot tanked and sealed while this was going on​
At this point I want to Thank John ( aka living in the past ) I was in need of an air cleaner and John got this one shipped out to me the next day. Thanks again John
small_DSCN0569.JPG
small_DSCN0570.JPG
small_DSCN0571.JPG

Sweet, This is a fine example of a true land cruiser fan. Great job!

Sweet, This is a fine example of a true land cruiser fan. Great job!

Thanks only a Cruiser Head would understand :D
This was going Great and I knew we were going to make it. I picked up the gas tank and what a transformation it I tell ya this thing was full of 20 years of mud and crap and cleaned up like new.​
small_DSCN0577.JPG
small_DSCN0578.JPG
small_DSCN0580.JPG

I put calls out to Gene, Land Cruiser Junkey during the build and got alot of great advive, When I told Gene about this build he offered up whatever he had to make it happen. I was installiing the gas tank but still had to finish up the steering, exaust, driveshafts, and get the seats in, PLUS all the little things that would take to much time to list.
I will say this there were a handfull of people who knew what I was doing and everytime I ran into a snag or needed advice, parts, or a push to keep going they were a phone call away :D
small_DSCN0581.JPG
small_DSCN0582.JPG

With the tank in I wa able to run the motor and get that dialed in. As Rob pointed out I don't have a fancy shop or garage ( maybe someday ) I was getting the rest of the parts together I needed , I called Gene and told him about my issue with the steering , since I had to torch the old steering center arm and I didnt have one what choice did I had :hmm: 2 days later I received a painted and rebuilt Center Arm from Gene. ( Thank You ) I had also been staring at this for 2 months and found the springs I was using were bent Gene also sent via Dan ( Danimal ) his used LV springs. I was starting to stress out here and had to step away for a few days.
small_DSCN0394.JPG
small_DSCN0395.JPG

The steering was crazy tight and even from the the cab I could hear the grinding from the steering box, I had not planned on this but mow I had another problem and I was short on time. I had giving away the last clamp on steering box I had and now I was stuck , I sent out a few PM's. I still had a few later model steering boxes and I thought I would just cut off the clamp on pedestal and bolt on the later model one
small_DSCN0573.JPG
small_DSCN0575.JPG

The clamp on style pedestal it turns out had a slight angle to it complired to the 4 bolt later pedestal because of this the steering shaft does not line up under the dash when everything is bolted up :mad: GREAT ! Well I had to come up with something turned out if I angled the box just .080 off the pedestal I could get everything to line up. At first I made a shim pack but after talking to Poser I took another pedestal I had down to my brother in laws machine shop and machined the pedestal for a flat machine fit to keep it from breaking or cracking ( is this making sence ? ) Long Story short It works and works Great. I am keeping am eye on it but it looks like this will be fine and I felt an up grade. Time wa ticking and I only had 3 weeks

OK we had the motor runnig, working brakes, and now the wheels turned :D I nedded to get a rear driveshaft together and exaust. Again Dan was there with the old exaust off his 45 build we met in Redlands Ca for somemore mud shipping.
Exaust in hand William and I got ready for a day of cutting and welding to made the exaust I got from Dan fit the LV :wrench: We had alot of fun that day :grinpimp: I really am lucky to have a kid that doesnt mind getting dirty , Can you say ' Rock Star :cheers:
small_DSCN0585.JPG
small_DSCN0586.JPG
small_DSCN0587.JPG

Ha ha...I was thinking more like ZZTop...

Rob, quite playing, and get back to the telling of this long and enchanted story...hope it has a good ending ;)

:popcorn:
ZZTop-Gibson-716707.jpg

Thanks Everyone !!
OK with the exaust done I still needed to get a rear driveshaft :hmm: I bought a rear from a 55 but I was runnning out of time ( we are down to 2 weeks ) before the 45 run. So I grabed the old one and since I was swapping out the rear axle I nedded to swap out all the flanges to 10mm out to the bone yard I found the parts I nedded​
small_DSCN0592.JPG
small_DSCN0589.JPG
small_DSCN0590.JPG

After getting the flange and U-Joints replaced I took it down to Ed Moore Driveshafts in San Bernardino to have it balanced. Ed hooked me up in a few hours and we were back on track. I was starting to relax we were so close I got home and couldnt wait to get the driveshaft installed as I pulled into the driveway work was calling :mad: Crap not now !!!!! I went to work and left William in charge to get the driveshaft installed
small_DSCN0603.JPG

Hmmm - POR15 and fiberglass cloth...never thought of that one!

Did you put any POR15 on the underside of the roof before the expanda foam? Or are you planning on a more long-term fix of the roof later?

Let me flash back to this question, There was a point during the build when i received a call from Tony ( Rockcod ) he had a number of a guy named Dave in Balersfield who had another LV body he picked up ( anyone remember this post ) fj45lv body ,need the space ,any takers? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board Well calls were made and I contacted Andy in Bakersfield ( Great Guy ) I got the skinny on the body and next thing I know I was making plans to pick it up :steer
small_014.JPG
small_020.JPG
small_021.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom