90 Day LV Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really am trying to cover the entire build and not just dragging this out :grinpimp: LOL as you can see I was ready to start getting the rear axle together which i got from my buddy Rob out of a 71 FJ-55 , after replacing the pinon seal and adding some fresh paint I got the Troopy springs I received from Georg ( Via Danimal ) set in place and got busy again making sure everything lined up,
small_DSCN0410.JPG
small_DSCN0428.JPG
small_DSCN0390.JPG

Brakes

On top of everything else I needed to get crackin on the brakes , i choose to go with power brakes since I ws already going to have things apart. I talked to Tony ( Rockcod ) and he had his booster rebuilt at ABS brake in the City of Orange CA. $85.00 So I had that started, I picked up the adapter Toyota Early FJ40 45 Land Cruiser Brake Booster Adapter - JTOutfitters ,
While that was all going on Will was busy cleaning up the motor and I was getting the rear axle bolted in. after a call to SOR I had the parts to replace the sway bar bushings and arms​
small_DSCN0444.JPG
small_DSCN0445.JPG

After making sure the frame was stright and picking up some spring bshings It was time to get the rear axle bolted in, Again a call was made to Georg and 2 days latter I has the U- Bolts and plates to complete the job :cheers: parts were spread out every where, I was doing the Axle, William and my nephew Ricky were helping with the motor , I was going back and forth working on the Trans, and I couldnt get work to Quit calling me , :crybaby:
Well the rear axle was in and it felt Great to see the Ol' LV sitting there :bounce:
small_DSCN0444.JPG
small_DSCN0594.JPG

Back to work I was getting about 2 to 3 hours during the week to get whatever I could done We were down to 6 weeks and counting. I finished the trans , I used a later 40 trans I had and thru on the floor shifter But I nedded a shifter knob :hmm: I remembered my wife Wendy hanging on to this Bathroom Door Knob from the first house we bought and I thought WHY NOT :D Shee didnt mind and her only comment was " Well thats a diamond in a goats ass if I ever did see one " But she let me keep it, The Motor was on the stand the boys were stripping it down :wrench: I had the transfer case apart and it looked good to me so that part was over :grinpimp:
small_DSCN0439.JPG
small_DSCN0440.JPG
small_DSCN0295.JPG

Just got off work but I want to keep this going so you all know how it ends :D remember the motor I started with will after replacing all the seals and gaskets a quick paint job and it was ready to get installed, I had a 71 carb i had rebuilt and that would supply the fuel to the beast, I had been saving a header that cleaned up real nice and painted it with BBQ Grill paint seems to be holding up well
small_DSCN0424.JPG
small_DSCN0432.JPG
small_DSCN0433.JPG

Nice job and all Rob, but you're spending way too much cash on that POS. Where are your buddies? They should be throwing a lot more love your way man.

But seriously folks, it's coming along nicely.

Nice job and all Rob, but you're spending way too much cash on that POS. Where are your buddies? They should be throwing a lot more love your way man.

But seriously folks, it's coming along nicely.

" Nice job and all Rob, but you're spending way too much cash on that POS " Oh Kevin at this point in the build including the purchase price I was into it for about $ 550.00 :clap: I am on call at work so it was hard to pin down a time for anyone to come over and help :wrench: The people who knew about this project donated what I needed to get her running I had most everything in the back yard to build a Cruiser I just used it under this baby
Here are some pics of the motor once we got it set in place :cheers: More pics tommorow its bed time​
small_DSCN0450.JPG
small_DSCN0451.JPG
small_DSCN0495.JPG

didn't paint the firewall before the engine reinstall?

Well there just wasnt time there was so much to do and time was running out :crybaby: I made a plan to get this to the 45 Run I knew that later on I would have to go back and fine tune things such as paint and Floorboards LOL But my Goal was get to the 45 Run with a complete running , stopping and driveable LV.
I was also getting the Power Brakes together Tony had picked up the Booster for me, I had me adapter but still needed to make a longer push rod I followed Rockcods 45 build https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/267295-65-swb-fj45-7.html#post4613627 I was missing the output rod for the booster and posted up in the wanted section vtcruiser60 came thru with what I needed​
small_DSCN0496.JPG
small_DSCN0497.JPG
small_DSCN0499.JPG

With the Brake rod together I started mocking things up on the fire wall. The 81 master cylinder would work great I just had to remove the Vacuume Choke thingy on the Carb. I have removed them on the other Cruiser and it still works fine. I wanted to up grade the brakes but still keep the stock aor cleaner
small_DSCN0500.JPG
small_DSCN0503.JPG
small_DSCN0504.JPG

As you can see but using the 81 Master Cylinder the stock air cleaner fits perect :grinpimp: Now for the sucky part I was still running drum brakes which need a 6 lb residual valve the 81 master cylinder was set up for front disk brakes and only has a 2 lb my plan run in line residual valves and everything would work fine. Later I would find when running the new brake lines that the residual valves I ad needed a special english flare and I didnt have time to get that done so I had to use the 73 master cylinder ( Pics later ) But I do plan on making this work , No fire wall cutting and the option of keeping the stock air cleaner Steve ( Poser ) was a big help answering question I had Funny thing was he let me know that most of what I was trying had not been done yet :D and he was looking forward to the out come :cheers:
small_DSCN0510.JPG
small_DSCN0511.JPG
small_DSCN0512.JPG

:wrench: With the motor in it was time to hang the Trans and transfer case. I was getting excited, I jad no idea how this motor was going to run and we were close, While Will was finishing up under the LV I was busy wiring and getting things ready to fire up the motor
small_DSCN0533.JPG
small_DSCN0535.JPG
small_DSCN0532.JPG

I can't believe the ignition switch and wiring still work!!! Words can not describe how far gone this truck was, but what do i know. Rob had a vision and inspiration to tackle this project when others chose run. Nice job Rob :beer:

If you know Rob, what you really come away with, is that he does this work without a garage, cement slab, heavy shop tools, major air tools or machine tools, basic hand tools do 95% of what he gets done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom