85 Pickup 22RE Fuel pump issue maybe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello again! I just posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about what to carry as spares on trips. The one thing that I wasnt sure about was if the fuel pump had ever been replaced. Well, This morning I was about 5 miles from home on the freeway and the truck started to lose power until it would barely run. I was lucky to be near an off ramp and coasted off of the freeway. Then it would start and run intermittently and stall.

I got it towed home and was checking to see if the fuel pump was getting power. I jumped the T connector on the left fender apron near the other diagnostic plugs per the FSM but no fuel pump noise. I removed the supply hose to the rail and no fuel pressure at all. I jumped the connector with the fuel hose removed and no fuel. I can hear a relay near the passenger side clicking when I jump the connector but no fuel. Does it sound like a fuel pump problem? I did get a check engine light when this happened and the codes are 5 and 6. I think they were triggered because the engine was in gear and running when it started cutting out?

The easiest place to check fuel pressure is at the cold start injector with the connector shorted.

FSM says:
  • Fuse
  • Circuit opening relay
  • Fuel pump
  • Fuel filter
  • Fuel pressure regulator (probably not since it's at the end of the rail)

If you don't hear the pump then you have probably lost it.

Thanks Pappy, I am going to replace it with a Denso as you mentioned in my previous thread. I was checking availability of the CO relay and it looks like it is obsolete from Toyota. Know of any sources for that? Would like to get a spare. Would the CO relay be what I am hearing when I short the T connector?

It could be the fuel pump or it could be electrical. The most reliable way to diagnose is to check the voltage at the electrical connector for the fuel pump while cranking. In a 4runner it is easy to get to the fuel pump and the connector; just three screws to pull of a cover. I have never done it on a truck, but I think that you either have to drop the tank or remove the bed. I've pulled the tank on a 4runner before and it only took about an hour (would have taken less time if the tank and skid weren't caved in). Once you have access to the electrical connector for the fuel pump you just need to check the voltage while someone cranks the engine. If it is getting good voltage then your pump is bad. If not then you have an electrical problem.

I have tried to listen to the fuel pump in my 4runner before and it was silent even though it was working fine. Listening is a good indicator, but silence doesn't always mean that the pump is bad.

The code 5 (lean condition) was more than likely caused by fuel starvation. Same thing happened to me when my fuel system was gradually clogged with rust. I'm not sure about the code 6. I've never had one, so I have never researched it. I doubt it would stop your fuel pump from running though.

You can probably get a circuit opening relay from here if you can't find one locally: Home - Jims Used Toyota Truck Parts

If you decide to replace the pump, don't forget to buy the rubber gasket that goes between it and the tank. It is only a few bucks and most dealerships have them in stock.

I was able to do some more checking today on my fuel pump issue. I shorted the fuel pump diagnostic connector and checked for voltage at the pump and had 12 volts. So the pump is bad. I got all of the gas drained and will lower it down tomorrow. Will I have any issues with the supply and return lines lowering the tank as far as enough slack? Anyone know if a CO relay from another truck would work? Plenty of early 90s 4runners in our wrecking yards.

That relay was used in a bunch of Toyotas. Go to napaonline.com, search for the part, then there should be a button that will take you to a page of other vehicles that also use the same part.

At the computer. Here ya go:

Lexus ES 250 1990 - 1991
Toyota 4Runner 1985 - 1988
Toyota Camry 1983 - 1991
Toyota Celica 1986 - 1991
Toyota Celica Supra 1983 - 1985
Toyota Corolla 1985 - 1991
Toyota Cressida 1980 - 1982
Toyota Cressida 1985 - 1989
Toyota Land Cruiser 1988 - 1995
Toyota MR2 1991 - 1989
Toyota MR2 1991 - 1995
Toyota Pickup 1984 - 1988
Toyota Previa 1994 - 1993
Toyota Supra 1986 - 1992
Toyota Van 1984 - 1989

For education, the button is "buyers guide" on the NAPAonline.com website. Just make sure you select your vehicle first. If you have power to the pump with the test connector shorted the problem will not be this relay.

Thanks again Pappy! Just finished with replacing the fuel pump on my truck. She runs great again! I bought a Denso pump from Densoproducts.com. What a blessing that was that the pump went out when it did. I was planning on a little outing 2 days after it went out. Sure glad it decided to crap out when it did! The only problem I had was disconnecting the supply line from the pump. I am pretty sure it had never been apart before.

The only problem I had was disconnecting the supply line from the pump. I am pretty sure it had never been apart before.

Sure hope you used flare nut wrenches. They do make life easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom