85 octane level okay in '07? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, 80 series guy here with a friend who just bought an '07 FJ Cruiser.

Location is Colorado at ~6,000 ft elevation, apparently regular is 85 octane in the area. Will the engine compensate and be fine to run 85 (maybe just less power)?

Should my friend just listen for any pinging and take a step up in grade, if so? Perhaps pinging only on high elevation passes?

Thanks for any suggestions! Much appreciated.

Never had an issue when I took mine to CO and UT at elevation. This comes with the caveat that I did put higher octane in when I knew I would be off-road, possibly demanding more from the engine.

"Back in the day", this topic was hotly debated, if it were an issue, we'd be seeing many of those original FJC's with problems.

Enjoy...

The 1GR-FE has a comprehensive engine-management computer that will automatically retard the timing if it starts to ping. Thus, you can never hurt your engine by running lower-octane gas in it, but with the stock 10.5:1 compression ratio you will never get the rated power out of it without premium gas. Your choice, but there's no harm in running regular, regardless of the altitude.

I ran premium unleaded in my 07 FJC religiously from new, and was/am reminded every time I fill up because using premium is noted on the inside of the fuel door. I believe Toyota sent out a service memo (years ago, but I don't recall when) saying using regular unleaded was okay.

When gas hit about $1.40/litre here (about a year ago) I started using regular unleaded, seemingly with no noticeable adverse affects, including fuel economy.

I also never noticed a difference running 87 in lieu of 93....I still put 93 in it all the time, but if 85 is the highest you can find out in the mountains, it should be just fine.

Great, thanks for all the responses and reassurance. Cheers!

85 is all that's available... or higher octane is available and you are just wondering if it's okay to save a few bucks at the pump? Consensus is that it is okay to run lower octane (not doing any damage) but you'll end up getting lower MPG and end up needing to fill up sooner anyway.... no cost savings.....

85 is all that's available... or higher octane is available and you are just wondering if it's okay to save a few bucks at the pump? Consensus is that it is okay to run lower octane (not doing any damage) but you'll end up getting lower MPG and end up needing to fill up sooner anyway.... no cost savings.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom