8274 brake questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just putting my 8274 back together and rebuilding the brake.
Once assembled, the ball bearings sound like they are pretty loose in there and the inner disc/ratchet has a large amount of free play in it.
I'm certain none of the balls have slipped during assembly.
Is this right or do I need to look at something?
Suggestions?

I've just done my brake assembly (last night) and had no problems with it. What you describe sounds correct, but hard to confirm without seeing what you have or how you got there.

Probably you know this....seat the cams together as far as they go and rest the assembly on the aluminium vice guards. Tighten the vice firmly on the shaft gear.That way the shaft cannot push out during assembly amd you have maximum room to compress the spring. But sounds like you have already got this far.

The inner cam is supposed to be two separate items (I know it's shown as one item on the below drawing, and all other drawings I've seen). The inner cam sits on a spline, against the gear to lock it in place. Anyway, check the link below and see if it's the same as yours.

Here's an exploded diagram, not sure if you have one. It's for the oldest models but they're pretty much all the same. I drilled and tapped my brake shaft so that's not on the drawing.

And here's a video from Powermodz, might help...

Last edited:
img_0347-jpg.51866

The top shaft is the one I have but without the narrower collar for the spring washers.

EDIT: Posted before I saw your post, so all the cams are two piece?

Last edited:
It all seats in there fine but as soon as I release the pressure on the plates and the spring takes over, it pushes the top plate out too far and the ball bearings pop out of place.

Doubt this is your problem, just thought I'd throw it out there in case. When I did mine, the rebuild kit came with a larger spring (on right in first pic) with a spacer that had been recessed to allow the larger spring to fit. Here is a pic of what I'm trying to describe & a pic of mine as I put it together.

Brake spring & center piece.JPG

Brake assembly w spring.JPG

Which parts do you think you need? Pretty sure I kept the old parts for mine.

There is a thread on here about rebuilding the brake upside down, then inserting the shaft, then clamp it together, then turn it over & put the c-clip on the end of shaft. Really easy. Once it is clamped together I don't see how the ball bearings can move around. The piece in your picture left of the spring should keep them from moving. Right?

I've done is upside down every time and it works great.

Which parts do you think you need? Pretty sure I kept the old parts for mine.

There is a thread on here about rebuilding the brake upside down, then inserting the shaft, then clamp it together, then turn it over & put the c-clip on the end of shaft. Really easy. Once it is clamped together I don't see how the ball bearings can move around. The piece in your picture left of the spring should keep them from moving. Right?

Apparently I have an older shaft and need the older hub and spring?

I used the new hub & longer spring when I put mine together, even though I removed the old style hub & short spring.

I should have the old hub & shorter spring, if you think it will help you. On left in my pic above.

I'd put it on the way it goes then wind in some rope and stop. After that keep tension in the rope and try to pull it out. If it pullsnout the brake is still wrong if not then you should be fine

I used the new hub & longer spring when I put mine together, even though I removed the old style hub & short spring.

I should have the old hub & shorter spring, if you think it will help you. On left in my pic above.

My winch has serial #240904, dating back to 1981 I think, so it's pretty old but I had the same experience as GCRUMP01 describes above. I also have the same parts leftover - you're welcome to them if you think it will help.

Let me know if you're in Perth anytime soon and you can drop by, I'll be happy to take a look at it.

In the meantime do you have a picture of your brake assembly, assembled with the clamp, and then a pic of the assembly with the clamp removed (when the ball bearings fall out)? Seeing these two scenario's might help us better understand what differences (if any) you are experiencing with your setup.

My winch has serial #240904, dating back to 1981 I think, so it's pretty old but I had the same experience as GCRUMP01 describes above. I also have the same parts leftover - you're welcome to them if you think it will help.

Let me know if you're in Perth anytime soon and you can drop by, I'll be happy to take a look at it.

In the meantime do you have a picture of your brake assembly, assembled with the clamp, and then a pic of the assembly with the clamp removed (when the ball bearings fall out)? Seeing these two scenario's might help us better understand what differences (if any) you are experiencing with your setup.

I'll actually be in Perth for ten days as of tomorrow but without the car, I'll try and get some pics later of the brake, the two halves separate enough for me to shine a light in there and see the displaced ball bearings.

I don't think those parts are your problem, take some pics as you put it together and a few when it separates and the ball bearings move. I'll give you my extra parts - but Hendrik is closer. Got to be something else going wrong here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom